GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LX 570 more reliable than GX 460?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 10:28 AM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LX 570 more reliable than GX 460?

I'm thinking about trading in my 15' GX460 with 35k miles plus ~10k cash for a 14' LX570 with 55k miles. I wonder if it's worth it? Planning to keep this one for a long time. Which one will last longer ?
Old 02-24-17, 08:21 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

The Land Cruiser (LX570) is a 20 year platform, so you could certainly argue that it's build to withstand the test of time more than anything else in the Toyota fleet. But if taken care of, just about every other SUV in the Toyota lineup will last that long - from a historical perspective. There's no way to know which one will last longer for you in the future. They are pretty different vehicles in terms of size, so for me that's what the decision should be based on. Do you need the extra size/room of the full size SUV, and/or do you need the extra power of the 5.7 V8?
Old 02-24-17, 11:20 AM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Both are very reliable

I owned a GX for 6 trouble-free years, and have now owned an LX for 6 trouble-free years. I traded in the GX for an LX, but reliability was not a factor in my decision-making process. Really liked the GX, but liked the LX features more. I only wish I could get the same Michelin's on my LX that I rode on the GX. The only Michelin's for the LX do not have the same sidewall grip on ice and snow, but the LX has so many features that keep it under control in every condition that it's been no problem at all once I figured out I was driving something very big and very heavy. Rides of both are great, but once I drove a demo LX when my GX was being detailed one day at the dealer, I knew I had to have it. And, I really haven't noticed any difference in maintenance costs, and my gas mileage did not change much. I'm pretty easy on the pedals.
The following users liked this post:
islandbeef (10-29-22)
Old 02-24-17, 12:16 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by clickart
I'm thinking about trading in my 15' GX460 with 35k miles plus ~10k cash for a 14' LX570 with 55k miles. I wonder if it's worth it? Planning to keep this one for a long time. Which one will last longer ?
I like the GX but it has some weird things that I don't like (leaning issue, pulling to one side of the road, Secondary pump problems, barn door)...I like to have the LX but it is too expensive to me. I think the LX will be MORE reliable than the GX. I "think" since no one knows for sure what will happen in the future.

If it is me then I MIGHT do the trade. If they can make the LX a Lexus Certified than it is even better.
Old 03-14-17, 08:52 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't place much value on Consumer reports. seems like when I bought on their advice on any item, it was a lemon. Snow Blowers, TV's, Dish washer etc. But they indicate the LX/Land Cruiser is much higher maint and trouble prone than the GX.
Old 03-14-17, 09:17 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

I think it would be about the same, but the one area I could see the LX having more issues is they have a pretty elaborate air suspension system that is standard. The Land Cruiser twin doesn't have this (to my knowledge)

Many of the newer GX have a conventional steel coil system (but some have the air ride also)

Just about every vehicle I've had with air coils have had issues down the road that were expensive.

Both vehicles are incredibly rugged, probably the most reliable SUVs you could possibly buy, but the LX has some extra gadgets to make it their flagship and justify the 6 figure price tag. Usually the more complicated a car gets, the more opportunity for failure all things being equal. In that regard, the GX is a simpler vehicle.
Old 03-14-17, 01:12 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would also guess the LX/Land cruiser's get used harder than the GX. It has aftermarket off road mods readily available, and like the 4 Runner is probably used in that capacity more. Where the GX is probably used as soccer mom grocery getter .It probably does more towing duties etc.
If I remember right the new Land cruiser has the air ride suspension just like the LX.
Old 03-14-17, 01:48 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I think it would be about the same, but the one area I could see the LX having more issues is they have a pretty elaborate air suspension system that is standard. The Land Cruiser twin doesn't have this (to my knowledge)

Many of the newer GX have a conventional steel coil system (but some have the air ride also)

Just about every vehicle I've had with air coils have had issues down the road that were expensive.

Both vehicles are incredibly rugged, probably the most reliable SUVs you could possibly buy, but the LX has some extra gadgets to make it their flagship and justify the 6 figure price tag. Usually the more complicated a car gets, the more opportunity for failure all things being equal. In that regard, the GX is a simpler vehicle.

LX is not air, its a hydraulic 4 wheel active height control suspension.

both have minor issues but nothing major.
Old 03-14-17, 02:06 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by T4Fun
LX is not air, its a hydraulic 4 wheel active height control suspension.

both have minor issues but nothing major.

Interesting, so they switched from an air suspension to hydraulic. Well the point still stands it's WAY more complex than simple steel coils. I know I wouldn't want to deal with a service issue on it down the road.
It looks like on the Land Cruiser, the front is now steel coils and the rear is air bags. So the two have a different suspension with the Lexus being more complex.

I guess if you drop $100k on a car, you don't really care about this stuff. But it would make me nervous on a car outside of a warranty.

On my old GX the air suspension went out on a road trip, it was not fun.

I have a relative with a Mercedes S class and the front air suspension went out, it was like $6,000 for just the front.
Old 03-14-17, 09:03 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting, so they switched from an air suspension to hydraulic. Well the point still stands it's WAY more complex than simple steel coils. I know I wouldn't want to deal with a service issue on it down the road.
It looks like on the Land Cruiser, the front is now steel coils and the rear is air bags. So the two have a different suspension with the Lexus being more complex.

I guess if you drop $100k on a car, you don't really care about this stuff. But it would make me nervous on a car outside of a warranty.

I have a relative with a Mercedes S class and the front air suspension went out, it was like $6,000 for just the front.
im not crazy about either, but actually the LX uses a pneumatic hydraulic system like the XREAS system on 4R Limiteds.
havent heard too many of those going out.
Old 03-15-17, 07:58 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

In the US both, the land cruiser and LX use coil springs on all four corners. No air bags are used. The LC has the KDSS system while the LX has the AHC and AVS systems. The KDSS system in the land cruiser is also hydraulic but functions differently. The land cruiser can't adjust it's ride height. The systems in Land Rovers and Mercedes are completely different. The systems on both LC and LX are way more reliable in comparison.
Old 03-15-17, 09:07 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by jat0223
In the US both, the land cruiser and LX use coil springs on all four corners. No air bags are used. The LC has the KDSS system while the LX has the AHC and AVS systems. The KDSS system in the land cruiser is also hydraulic but functions differently. The land cruiser can't adjust it's ride height. The systems in Land Rovers and Mercedes are completely different. The systems on both LC and LX are way more reliable in comparison.

How do you make it height adjustable with steel springs? Curious if you can explain this type of system.

Last edited by BradTank; 03-15-17 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-15-17, 09:19 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by T4Fun
im not crazy about either, but actually the LX uses a pneumatic hydraulic system like the XREAS system on 4R Limiteds.
havent heard too many of those going out.

All of these systems go out eventually, it's just the nature of the beast. Even with car companies like Toyota/Lexus that have great quality control, my GX air suspension went out at like 80k miles. If you look at the forums, it's full of stories of the same thing.
I also own a Lexus LS430, and the Ultra has air ride, it's also a familiar story that costs around $6,000 to fix. Maybe hydraulic systems are more rugged, but my bet is they also will have issues with things like the rubber bladders and pump system eventually going out.

It will likely be far outside of the factory warranty, but all things being equal, steel springs can last a lot longer. Usually the only thing that takes out steel springs is heavy corrosion.
Old 03-15-17, 03:43 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

How do you make it height adjustable with steel springs? Curious if you can explain this type of system.
I'm not really sure about exactly how it all works, but from what I've been reading, the system pumps pressurized fluid in and out of the shocks to raise and lower the vehicle.
Old 03-16-17, 12:59 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My 03 LX470 is 14yrs old & I owned it 10yrs of its life. Still my daily driver. If you flush the system every 60k miles you won't have any problems. That fluid gets dirty overtime. In fact the only problem I had was a wire connected to the height sensor on the driverside had broken. I fixed it now. Also Feb 2017 is the only time this truck EVER! gave me any problems. The gas I bought must've had water content in it. It threw off all kinds error codes, engine misfires, check engine light on & it started flashing, saying my catalytic converters & O2 sensors. It's straight now using and old backyard trick.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (10-28-22)

Quick Reply: LX 570 more reliable than GX 460?