GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2018 gx?

Old 02-09-17, 11:46 AM
myLexus007
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2018 gx?

Has anybody heard if Lexus will redesign the 2018 GX? I thought the first generation 2004-2009 was long, this gen seems to be even longer (2010-2017).

Anything thoughts what will they do on the new GX?

Adding mouse control like the LX so it stays consistent with the rest of the Lexus lineup? New engine? Perhaps V6 turbo charged on the LS500?
Old 02-09-17, 12:05 PM
mikha619
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default .

Since the 2018 RX will offer a third row, there is word from our Lexus factory representative that the GX may be discontinued since will be no use for it. Most people want any more efficiently V6 with a 3rd row instead of the V8 anyways, and the 3rd row RX will offer AWD.
Old 02-09-17, 02:30 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexus007
Has anybody heard if Lexus will redesign the 2018 GX? I thought the first generation 2004-2009 was long, this gen seems to be even longer (2010-2017).
Adding mouse control like the LX so it stays consistent with the rest of the Lexus lineup? New engine? Perhaps V6 turbo charged on the LS500?
There has been some talk on CL for a few years now. Here is the link in case you have not seen it.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/780162-future-of-lexus-luxury-suv.html

Originally Posted by mikha619
Since the 2018 RX will offer a third row, there is word from our Lexus factory representative that the GX may be discontinued since will be no use for it. Most people want any more efficiently V6 with a 3rd row instead of the V8 anyways, and the 3rd row RX will offer AWD.
While the GX may be discontinued, I don't think RX with a 3rd row is the solution. These two are very different vehicles. I had the RX for a day while they were doing some prep work on my GX. While it is a very nice car, it's certainly a different vehicle. Unless they introduce something new (TX?) I think there are still demand for the GX.
Old 02-09-17, 02:38 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexus007

Having just bought a 2017 GX, if they did a full redesign to bring the infotainment in line with the LX and put the V6 turbo in it or at least figured out a way to improve the fuel economy, it would sell like hotcakes. Until I bought mine, I never notice just how many of these are on the road. They are everywhere. Sales numbers put them at 2500 a month. Bring the electronics up to 2017 standards and put some fuel economy in there and you have a winner.
Old 02-09-17, 03:15 PM
mikha619
Driver

Originally Posted by 1111GS
There has been some talk on CL for a few years now. Here is the link in case you have not seen it.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/780162-future-of-lexus-luxury-suv.html

While the GX may be discontinued, I don't think RX with a 3rd row is the solution. These two are very different vehicles. I had the RX for a day while they were doing some prep work on my GX. While it is a very nice car, it's certainly a different vehicle. Unless they introduce something new (TX?) I think there are still demand for the GX.
I agree that the GX is an awesome car, but the majority of Lexus shoppers simply opt for it because of the 3rd row, but then are disappointed to find that Lexus only offers two third row vehicles and the cheapest one starts at 55K and is a V8. 99% of the time nobody uses the 4wd functions and ppl are finding themselves complaining about the gas mileage.
Old 02-09-17, 03:29 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the GX is an awesome car, but the majority of Lexus shoppers simply opt for it because of the 3rd row, but then are disappointed to find that Lexus only offers two third row vehicles and the cheapest one starts at 55K and is a V8. 99% of the time nobody uses the 4wd functions and ppl are finding themselves complaining about the gas mileage.
Haven't broken 15MPG on a tank yet but it's only been a month.... Gas mileage is probably the #1 thing that needs to be addressed if there is to be a new GX. Most competitors to the GX (XC90, MDX) get significantly better mileage. Even some of the ultra sized SUVs like escalade and Tahoe do better.
Old 02-09-17, 03:47 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by clerkp
...Sales numbers put them at 2500 a month...
... Lexus only offers two third row vehicles and the cheapest one starts at 55K...
I think these two statements tell us why Lexus hasn't been motivated to make a change in their SUV offering. The RX sells like crazy already and if you want a third row Lexus SUV, people are willing to pay the $55K entry point on a platform that costs them very little to produce.
Old 02-09-17, 04:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Lets just say if the decade old sequoia got refreshed, there might be a minute refresh in store for the GX.
Old 02-09-17, 05:53 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

99% of the time nobody uses the 4wd functions and ppl are finding themselves complaining about the gas mileage.
And probably 99% of the time, nobody uses the 3rd row seat, and yet, they find themselves wanting one in their SUV. The 4wd system is full-time, always on, unless you put it in low range/lock the center diff. The system is there to provide confidence in everyday driving for when the roads are slippery.
Old 02-09-17, 06:30 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Suppose one day Lexus announces that the GX is discontinued, how long do I have after the announcement to still be able to buy a new one do you think? One or two months, maybe more?
Old 02-09-17, 06:50 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tqh
Suppose one day Lexus announces that the GX is discontinued, how long do I have after the announcement to still be able to buy a new one do you think? One or two months, maybe more?
It really depends on the manufacturer, but since we are talking about Toyota/Lexus, it'll depend on the model as well. For example, when Toyota announced the discontinuation of the FJ Cruiser, which was on the market for 8 years in the US, they gave everyone about a 1 year advance notice. With the recent Lexus HS250, which did not have a loyal following nor strong sales, it was quick and swift. Concerning the GX, I'd say more than 2 months advance notice.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...014-model-year

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ues_HS_Hybrid/
The following users liked this post:
tqh (02-09-17)
Old 02-09-17, 08:31 PM
mikha619
Driver

Originally Posted by daman7676
I think these two statements tell us why Lexus hasn't been motivated to make a change in their SUV offering. The RX sells like crazy already and if you want a third row Lexus SUV, people are willing to pay the $55K entry point on a platform that costs them very little to produce.
im only speaking from experience. being a salesman, i get customers all the time that come in and ask what Lexus offers in a third row. I try to show them the GX and of course sell ts benefits, and as soon as I mention V8, and they see the mpg they immediately turned off and make comments like "its too much like a truck." My statement was implying that people that actually WANT a third row and come to shop Lexus, are having difficulty not going back to look at a Highlander, the new CX-9 or even Tahoe's. Of course Lexus quality is different but when you looking for a third row, we don't have much to offer yet. Until The end of this year when the RX-L is released
The following users liked this post:
daman7676 (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 07:00 AM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

"its too much like a truck."
This is the best part about the GX isn't it?
Old 02-10-17, 08:40 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

The RX, according to my local dealer and articles like THIS one, will have the third row and be an RX350(450h)-L. Basically Lexus will discontinue the majority of the slope that eliminated the third row capability in current models and make it more square backed like it's Highlander cousin. I don't see the GX being continued after this model year (which is why I am glad I picked up my 2017 on NYE). If the GX continues it will only be for 2018, IMO, while Lexus looks at the sales numbers for the RX-L, which I am sure will be phenomenal. It is all speculation at this point.

I will use the third row once per year while on the family vacation but it is essentially useless otherwise. MAYBE I would use it one more time during a year taking all the in-laws out to dinner. But that isn't why I bought it. Gas mileage aside and having looked at 4-Runners I am happy with the buy. I didn't pull the trigger on the 4-Runner due to my head hitting the ceiling while in the pax seat and the only solution being "recline the seat". With the premium those things are going for you figure they would have a pax seat that would allow you to lower - but NOPE. The GX is, IMO, the only Lexus SUV/CUV/whatever you want to call them that cannot be pigeon holed into a 'glorified' (insert Toyota model here) they have. The GX is in a league of it's own within the Lexus US market but is no longer a viable and sell-able vehicle with all the other successfully selling models and new ones being introduced. The only reason they would continue it is that the GX is cheap to produce and the profit margin is bigger that other models they have.

As far as fuel economy I lost about 3 mpg overall compared to my 2012 RX but was looking for more of the truck experience (I miss my '01 Taco). If desperate for fuel economy I have other options (located in siggy) but really... I knew what I was getting into buying what ALL reviews say is a comparatively thirsty V8 - I average 17-18 mpg depending on driving conditions and the wife's heavy foot - she slams that gas pedal Highway is a "respectable" 19-20 mpg when my RX did about 23-24. At some point, when all SUV's go to the CUV uni-body concept, people will be lamenting the day when there were body on frame true SUV's and biatching about how they don't exist any longer. I will happily climb into mine and have a grin from ear to ear.

If they do continue it then good for them and us. If they don't then I don't believe many potential buyers will miss it and just go with an RX-L or go up-market to the LX.
Old 02-10-17, 12:51 PM
myLexus007
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally think there is more overlapping between the GX and the LX, than the GX and the RX-L. People buy the GX because it's affordable than the LX and not much less capable. People buy the GX because the want that towing capacity. Comparing the GX to the RX-L (upcoming 3-row) is comparing apples and oranges. Therefore I don't think even with the RX-L, that means it's the end for the GX.

As someone said here, if Lexus get the GX infortainment system and engines up to speed, I think the new GX will be a hot seller. I personally want to get a used GX, but their price holds so well and it doesn't make sense. We are waiting for what Lexus is doing with the next generation GX. The LX is out of our price range.

My view is, if Lexus can invest in the LX with sales of only 500 per month (US), I can't see why they wouldn't do simple investment in the GX where they can sell 1700-2500 each month.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 gx?