GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2018 gx?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 06:08 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Have you seen on the responses from the LX subsection, people are running for the hills when you mention anything but what it has in it right now. Concerns, fears, mild PMS all coupled in one if you mention Turbos or 10 speed lol

You can see why Lexus loves holding on to the "old tech"

That's a gross overstatement, but yeah...don't touch the LX or change anything, otherwise we are all defecting to Range Rover
Old 04-13-17, 04:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank

And count me as someone that prefers the simplicity and smooth power delivery of NA engines. I'd much rather have a V8.

I hear ya... AFAIK no one ever added a turbo to an engine to increase reliability.
Old 04-13-17, 04:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by myLexus007
I agreed with the GX 4.6L V8 that makes "only" 300hp, but then I appreciate the fact that this engine will last forever. The reason because there is absolutely no stress. A V8 that makes 300hp means it doesn't have to work very hard..

My thoughts exactly!!!
Old 04-13-17, 05:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

^^^ I would like to find an option to make it work harder and give me more power. I can't seem to find it. I am willing to push the V8 and deal with the possible consequences. I think my truck could handle it since I don't tow or off-road in my GX.
Old 04-13-17, 05:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Tecman: You'll probably want to check out the Tundra forums. There is talk about some CAI's increasing power. I imagine someone has a 3rd party tune and then there is always forced induction options.
Old 04-13-17, 05:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

http://www.hypertech.com/products-in...or-toyota.aspx

The following users liked this post:
dman3626 (02-23-20)
Old 04-13-17, 06:16 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I looked into a supercharger and no one really had a clue for this on the GX. It has been a while since I've looked into it. Never really had confidence in the performance computer systems, I have read too many negative reviews. Maybe something newer will give me the power that I am looking for?
Old 04-14-17, 06:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Yes please for my GX

Old 06-07-17, 07:38 PM
babyzilla
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such a tough decision to make considering the timing. I'm helping my dad purchase a SUV and we settled on the GX 460 (LX 570 just seemed...unnecessary, but other than that it was a pretty easy choice compared to other SUVs ). We would love to buy ASAP. The vehicle being discontinued is one thing, as a matter of fact I wouldn't mind that at all since the there aren't many vehicles in this category, but if it were to be redesigned then buyer's remorse would surely kick in! I'm trying to see if we wait then perhaps Lexus Corp will notify us of their plans? Just not sure how long the wait will be...
Old 06-09-17, 04:21 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm fascinated by many of the responses to this thread. The number of vehicles on the road in Houston that probably don't get more than 15mpg on an average tankful is staggering. Trucks, Tahoe etc are everywhere and will be unit gas goes over $5.00 a gallon.

I'd bet most people who buy the GX do so for the same reason we did. My wife wanted to get back into something like the three Tahoes we had in the past, and I wanted a vehicle with the Lexus reputation for quality and luxury. My wife likes to sit up high yet still have good maneuverability. We have never used the third seats. The vehicle feels safe to drive and can get through heavy rains we have in Houston much more safe and securely.
Old 07-05-17, 10:25 AM
rtpiv
Driver School Candidate

Default Tail gate on GX 450

I love the Lexus GX 450 except the swing tailgate instead of a lift gate. I can even live with the poor gas mileage. It's the only Lexus SUV with this poor design. Does anyone know if Lexus is considering a change to the lift gate?
Old 07-05-17, 02:28 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpiv
I love the Lexus GX 450 except the swing tailgate instead of a lift gate. I can even live with the poor gas mileage. It's the only Lexus SUV with this poor design. Does anyone know if Lexus is considering a change to the lift gate?
More on this very discussion in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...rear-door.html
It's there so certain countries can get a spare mounted on the door in order to free up space for an auxiliary gas tank.
Old 07-06-17, 01:43 PM
rattmobbin
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpiv
Swinging tailgate is one of my absolute favorite features about my GX! I never hit my head, and I can load up at Costco and pull al the way into my garage to unload instead of sticking halfway out so the hatch doesn't hit the garage door. People that say they don't like it boggle my mind!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (07-06-17)
Old 07-06-17, 02:03 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
Swinging tailgate is one of my absolute favorite features about my GX! I never hit my head, and I can load up at Costco and pull al the way into my garage to unload instead of sticking halfway out so the hatch doesn't hit the garage door. People that say they don't like it boggle my mind!
I have the exact opposite problem. Our RX has the perfect clearance to open the hatch with the garage door closed. GX, on the other hand, will not clear the garage door.
On top of it, the door opens the wrong way, so it would have to be closed for each trip to the trunk to grab some more groceries.

I would also be looking at adding more sensors to the garage door so one of the kids does not close the garage door on top of the GX's open rear door.

Most people in the GX forum will like the swinging door - the rest simply scratched it off their shopping list.
Old 07-10-17, 10:53 AM
v13tnat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
I love the swinging gate in the GX. I would love for lexus to continue the swing gate if they ever release a NEW gx. Different people like different things. Everyone had different needs and likes. For example, for a hatch that opens up, it might not for for taller people since it'll hit their head. If you carry items in your roof rack(snow boards, surf boards, bycicle, kayak, roof top tent, etc) the open up hatch might not work for you. A drop down tailgate might be an inconvenience for people of the modest height since everything they store in the back is further to reach like groceries. The swinging gate will suck if you live in an area where you parallel park on the street which makes it harder to get access to the back of the vehicle if parking is tight.

But my wife doesn't mind the swinging gate at all. She loves her GX and we plan on purchasing our GX once the lease is over unless lexus comes out with an awsome all new GX.

Quick Reply: 2018 gx?