GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2018 gx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 03:33 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Lexus definitely WANTS to continue to import the GX as is, Lexus does very well with their SUVs, dealers are actually upset that they aren't given more inventory.

The problem is, the EPA has regulations in the US about what the average fuel economy of a car fleet can have (CAFE) and the GX and LX drag down the average to the point where they would have to start paying "gas guzzler" taxes if the new standards go into place.

By 2025, a car company across their fleet has to average 54.5mpgs. A new GX average is like 17mpg.

I'm hoping this gets changed because everybody is going to have to drive a Prius to hit that number.

CAFE not an issue.
turbos coming soon to all their suvs, i promise
The following users liked this post:
BrickHead (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 03:52 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
CAFE not an issue.

I guess this is being tongue-in-cheek, but ultimately the issue is more about weight , not whether it's turbo or naturally aspirated.

And count me as someone that prefers the simplicity and smooth power delivery of NA engines. I'd much rather have a V8.
Unless regulations change, be prepared for an electric hybrid, turbo charged, tiny engine that stalls out and restarts at every stop light to eek out some mpgs.

Last edited by BradTank; 03-13-17 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 08:00 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T4Fun
CAFE not an issue.
If Lexus make the next GX car-based, something like the GLS or GLE, and toss in a tt-v6, then we will seriously consider getting one.
Old 03-14-17, 08:47 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by BrickHead
If Lexus make the next GX car-based, something like the GLS or GLE, and toss in a tt-v6, then we will seriously consider getting one.

Or you could just buy an RX
Old 03-14-17, 09:07 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The fact it is truck based, and not "mini-van" based, is one of the biggest reasons we bought the GX. We looked at the GLS,Q7,Beemer,Explorer,Durango,Grand Cherokee, etc. They all have their pluses and minuses. Seems like most of them came out of the same can. A turbo/supercharger, or the 46.ltr in the 4 Runner, and we would have been swayed that way. Lots of options out there if you don't need or want low range, and only need a medium duty vehicle. Most have more performance, and better efficiency. But we use the low range, we need more of a rugged, robust vehicle. I just wish it had more availability of aftermarket mods for what we do. I would like to mount my multi mount winch mount on it. But I don't see anyone who offers a winch mount like that. It's available easily for the Land cruiser and 4 Runner. The ones for the Prado, they say won't fit without some modifications to it. Skid plates for the Gas Tank and tranny etc. Redily availiable for the 4 Runner and Land Cruiser. but again the ones for the Prado won't fit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oldmanb777:
BradTank (03-14-17), hadokenuh (10-15-19)
Old 03-14-17, 09:11 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
The fact it is truck based, and not "mini-van" based, is one of the biggest reasons we bought the GX. We looked at the GLS,Q7,Beemer,Explorer,Durango,Grand Cherokee, etc. They all have their pluses and minuses. Seems like most of them came out of the same can. A turbo/supercharger, or the 46.ltr in the 4 Runner, and we would have been swayed that way. Lots of options out there if you don't need or want low range, and only need a medium duty vehicle. Most have more performance, and better efficiency. But we use the low range, we need more of a rugged, robust vehicle. I just wish it had more availability of aftermarket mods for what we do. I would like to mount my multi mount winch mount on it. But I don't see anyone who offers a winch mount like that. It's available easily for the Land cruiser and 4 Runner. The ones for the Prado, they say won't fit without some modifications to it. Skid plates for the Gas Tank and tranny etc. Redily availiable for the 4 Runner and Land Cruiser. but again the ones for the Prado won't fit.

Exactly, I don't want a lifted mini van.

There are PLENTY of choices for people that want a car based SUV, including ones from Lexus like the RX and NX.
Old 03-14-17, 05:01 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BradTank
Or you could just buy an RX
We need something larger than RX. And no offense to anyone, we are not a fan of the RX design.
Old 03-16-17, 09:58 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We just bought a 2017 GX and when we are due for another SUV in a few years we will either get the redesigned GX, or upgrade to the LX. the fuel economy doesn't bother us so much, as we are used to full size SUV's and trucks. and a 3rd row RX wouldn't be big enough for us. I love my 16 RX F Sport and our GX. They both serve different needs, the RX is for running around town and getting me back and fourth from work in all kinds of weather. the GX is for the once a month visit from the parents and healing the kids and dogs around and towing the trailers. my only complaints with the GX are the technology is a bit outdated and it lacks some HP under the hood. We are averaging 16.5 MPG on the GX and 19 on the RX.
Old 03-17-17, 07:15 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

For those thinking that fuel economy matters or CAFE will kill the GX, take a look around you on the freeway in most cities (Houston for damn sure). There are an ENORMOUS numbers of full size pickup trucks going down the road getting the same mileage as the GX. The Government is not accomplishing oil conservation by forcing manufacturers to make these trucks get 17 mpg instead of 15. If they want people to buy truly fuel efficient vehicles they will have to add at least $2.00 a gallon in additional fuel taxes.

Yes, I'm fully aware of Obamas CAFE mandate, and I never expected it to stand because unless we can get people to not like trucks anymore it would severely impact auto makers ability to meet those standards. I hate Trump with a passion, but I'm the first to admit that the CAFE standards need to be loosened up, and Trump will do so.
vicpai (04-10-17)
Old 03-17-17, 07:20 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

CAFE standards are about to hit the road anyways, so if thats a major concern
Old 03-17-17, 07:23 AM
myLexus007
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mx5mike
We just bought a 2017 GX and when we are due for another SUV in a few years we will either get the redesigned GX, or upgrade to the LX. the fuel economy doesn't bother us so much, as we are used to full size SUV's and trucks. and a 3rd row RX wouldn't be big enough for us. I love my 16 RX F Sport and our GX. They both serve different needs, the RX is for running around town and getting me back and fourth from work in all kinds of weather. the GX is for the once a month visit from the parents and healing the kids and dogs around and towing the trailers. my only complaints with the GX are the technology is a bit outdated and it lacks some HP under the hood. We are averaging 16.5 MPG on the GX and 19 on the RX.
I agreed with the GX 4.6L V8 that makes "only" 300hp, but then I appreciate the fact that this engine will last forever. The reason because there is absolutely no stress. A V8 that makes 300hp means it doesn't have to work very hard. Look at Mercedes 2.0L turbo AMG that makes 375HP, I always laugh at that when someone try to brag to me about it. How long will that engine last? A day after the warranty expired?

To other points, I think Lexus will keep the GX, they don't have any other body-on-frame SUV left at that price range. The LX is too high for some people.

I can Lexus use the new 3.5 twin turbo on the upcoming LS500 on the redesign GX. Or at least keep this V8 and direct injection with 8-speed. In any case, the current engine option for GX is long in the tooth.
Old 03-17-17, 10:54 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jjscsix

I hate Trump with a passion, but...
I am sick and tired of the Trump hate permeating every facet of life--including car forums. Watch MSNBC at home all you want, but keep a lid on it here!
The following 4 users liked this post by kgbagent1:
BradTank (03-17-17), Craigyyy (04-17-17), ELEX470 (03-20-17), Oldmanb777 (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 03:23 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
I am sick and tired of the Trump hate permeating every facet of life--including car forums. Watch MSNBC at home all you want, but keep a lid on it here!
It's called freedom of speech if you're not already aware that it exists in the US, and it's perfectly fine as long as he is not directly insulting anyone on here (and it was stated in the context of CAFE rules). Besides, that line about watching MSNBC is a really tired one ... Newsflash, .lots of Republicans and Independents (like me) also hate Trump, just FYI. Normally I stay away from discussing politics on forums, but I just had to respond to this!
Old 04-10-17, 06:57 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vicpai
It's called freedom of speech if you're not already aware that it exists in the US, and it's perfectly fine as long as he is not directly insulting anyone on here (and it was stated in the context of CAFE rules). Besides, that line about watching MSNBC is a really tired one ... Newsflash, .lots of Republicans and Independents (like me) also hate Trump, just FYI. Normally I stay away from discussing politics on forums, but I just had to respond to this!
"Freedom of Speech" applies to the GOVERNMENT censoring people, not a privately owned automotive forum.

Shocking that your signature puts in the San Francisco bay area
The following 2 users liked this post by Coulter:
BradTank (04-10-17), Craigyyy (04-17-17)
Old 04-10-17, 08:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Folks, please cease the politics discussion / personal commentary, and get back to the topic of the thread

politics discussion is only allowed in our debate forum.
vlad_a (07-05-17)

Quick Reply: 2018 gx?