GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2012 Lexus GX 460 Comfort vs Sport (can't tell difference)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 09:09 AM
clspruiell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Lexus GX 460 Comfort vs Sport (can't tell difference)

I cannot seem to tell a difference in my Sport vs. Normal vs. Comfort mode in my 2012 GX 460. Sometimes I think I can tell a difference, but then I think it's just placebo. Should I be expecting a semi dramatic difference? I've tried this on bumpy Dallas streets and fast interstates and for the life of me I just cannot tell a difference.

Has this been an issue in the past? Something wrong perhaps?

Thoughts?
Old 01-26-17, 10:20 AM
Puch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why you don't feel any difference. On my 2011, Comfort is definitely more loose and squishy feeling than Normal and Sport. I used to use Normal with my Michelin Latitude tires, but have graduated to Sport now that I changed them out a few month's ago for new Michelin Defender LTX M/S. For some reason the truck seems to handle more responsively and drive better in Sport mode with these tires. Perhaps your tires are having an influence on perceived feel of the suspension settings?
Old 01-27-17, 04:55 PM
raky
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell much of a difference between normal and comfort and just leave it on comfort all the time. I think I have noticed a difference on sport but I would rather have as smooth a ride as possible as this clearly isn't a sports car.
Old 01-27-17, 05:37 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Check out this review from Koz,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...on-review.html
Old 02-21-17, 07:58 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While I have only had my 17 for a few months, I tend to agree there is not much difference between Sport, Normal and Comfort suspension settings.

The Sport setting firms the suspension perhaps a little bit. Other than that, I don't feel much difference.
Old 02-22-17, 06:26 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by budman1
While I have only had my 17 for a few months, I tend to agree there is not much difference between Sport, Normal and Comfort suspension settings.

The Sport setting firms the suspension perhaps a little bit. Other than that, I don't feel much difference.
And this is what really has me confused..

Sometime in the next 3 to 6 months we will be returning our 15 RX F Sport and we are considering the GX but can't decide between the Lux or Prem.. The main and probably only reason that I would want the Lux is for the AVS, but yet in most of the posts I have read owners of the Lux pkg say they cant feel a difference between the settings.

We have test driven a Prem and while it rode great it was mostly on suburban city streets and no highways. I hoping to drive a Lux and go through the settings by the end of next month. Now I understand that this is a big BOF truck so the AVS can only do so much, but I just want don't want it to feel too bouncy or lean too much in turns at highway speeds.. I know I'm probably making no sense.

For those of you with the Lux pkg, do you feel it rides better than a Prem?

Last edited by JT4; 02-22-17 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 07:00 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

If that's the only thing you're buying the Lux package for, I think you'd probably be disappointed.

I drove my GX the other day and flipped through the settings and the difference between the settings is very subtle. Comfort is definitely a little squishier, floatier but not necessarily more comfortable. Sport and normal don't have the float but there's only so much you can do with such a large body-on-frame SUV. On the highway I'd probably leave it in normal to avoid the floatiness but if the road got a little rougher throw it into comfort. Regular driving I typically don't ever touch it though. Again the difference is very subtle, and I can definitely understand people who think it's imperceptible.
Old 02-23-17, 08:22 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
If that's the only thing you're buying the Lux package for, I think you'd probably be disappointed.

I drove my GX the other day and flipped through the settings and the difference between the settings is very subtle. Comfort is definitely a little squishier, floatier but not necessarily more comfortable. Sport and normal don't have the float but there's only so much you can do with such a large body-on-frame SUV. On the highway I'd probably leave it in normal to avoid the floatiness but if the road got a little rougher throw it into comfort. Regular driving I typically don't ever touch it though. Again the difference is very subtle, and I can definitely understand people who think it's imperceptible.
Thanks for the info...

Yeah, the AVS is really the only reason I am considering the Lux pkg, but if go with the Prem it would be pretty well equipped anyway so I am thinking what the heck, just go for the Lux and be done with it..

For me, depending on the highway I would probably put in Sport, believe me I don't plan to be carving up turns in a GX LOL, I just don't want to feel like I am floating or wallowing around turns during normal hwy driving. And I would keep it in the Comfort setting for the usual around town city driving.

I guess I am trying to figure out if a Prem rides more like a Lux in the Comfort or Normal setting. Hopefully when I get to test drive a Lux it will become a little clearer..
Old 02-23-17, 09:50 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Comfort is really meant for absorbing bumps on a poorly maintained paved road or a decently maintained fire road. I use it for around town - Los Angeles has some notoriously terrible roads. I can definitely tell the difference between Sport and Comfort when driving at lower speeds over these bumps and imperfections. And, like you said, I use Sport on the highway just to get a slightly firmer ride and reduced body roll when going through long turns.
Old 02-23-17, 10:25 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I have only driven a handful of GXs. The one I drove without AVS only had a few hundred miles on it, drove great, and I never felt floaty or wallowy.

In my 2011 with AVS I only really get that floaty feeling in comfort mode. I think like daman said above, it's really only meant to make a rougher road less harsh.

But that was a new 2015 or 2016, vs used, so I don't know if it's really a great comparison.

Again IMO for AVS alone it's probably not worth it, but the diff between the premium and luxury package is not huge, so if you like any of the extra options at all and don't mind spending the money, why not.
Old 02-23-17, 03:43 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree with most comments here. The difference is there but not that noticeable due to the size of the GX. I have AVS and Sport + on my GS and yes it does make a difference but some Premium owners claim that they don't feel a significant change. The initial reasons that I wanted the Luxury were the leather and automatic 3rd. But they were not important enough for the price difference so I went with the Premium. Now the "alligator" leather doesn't seem to bother me as it used to. The ride is perfect for me. I come from a family of GS and RX. One thing I think it could be improved is its responsiveness when in auto mode. So I drive in "S" mode when I'm alone. I like the fact that it stays in the gear that we switch it to. As for two additional gears, I don't think that would be a significant plus or even a plus. Early 4th Gen GS has 6 gears while the later has 8. We all talked about wanting 8 gears and while GS didn't have like the Germans. But when the 8 gears was introduced, most of us actually do not like it. Personally I see almost no difference as far as gas mileage and comfort ride go. When in auto, I find the car less responsive than the earlier GS. When in M mode, I feel the low gear stuck for too long when going from a full stop. I think 6 gear is just fine.
Old 02-24-17, 08:39 AM
daxia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you will feel more difference when sit in the third row on rough road? To be honest, I don't feel much difference while driving. Maybe because of the amazing KDSS system which keep the truck flat on corner so well. Is the AVS system of GX on 4 corner or just on back since it only has air suspension on back?