GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

new 2017 pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 09:20 AM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new 2017 pricing question

Hi everyone. Looking to pick up a 2017 GX 460 premium and have some pricing questions. In Pittsburgh, there is only one choice of dealers and they apparently are using "Lexus Plus" Pricing. At most, they are giving about 1k off of MSRP for these cars. So I am clearly going to have to go out of market. What's a reasonable discount I can expect on these cars? I'm seeing perhaps 4-5k is attainable? Looking for captain's chairs and nav for sure. The rest is optional. Would love the sport package. Appreciate the input.
Old 12-19-16, 09:55 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Pricing will always vary by the region. I find that Truecar.com, Edmunds.com, and Costco auto programs can get you in the ballpark of the sale price for the specific market, make, and model but it will most defiantly won't give you the lowest price.
I can't speak for Pittsburgh as I am on another coast but just 2 weeks ago in Northern Cali, I was able to bargain $5.2K off MSRP on the 17 Base model with all available options. And I need to mention that it was my special order model which I was waiting for over a month for delivery.
I believe that if you can find large enough dealership with several similar cars on the lot for your liking, your chances to get desired $4-5K are very doable.
Good luck on purchasing new GX.
Old 12-22-16, 06:35 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You may have to go out of market. I was able to get about 6k off when they called me on the last day of the month. You have to be able/willing to walk away. Obviously negotiating via email with dealers across the country can save you lots of $.
Old 12-22-16, 07:17 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

$5-$6k seems like the magic number I typically hear. Less on strippers, more on loaded models.

The Lexus Plus pricing seems very irritating when it forces you to another dealer.
Old 12-22-16, 08:31 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
$5-$6k seems like the magic number I typically hear. Less on strippers, more on loaded models.

The Lexus Plus pricing seems very irritating when it forces you to another dealer.
I have 2 dealers in nebraska and they do it this way...I really hate that. They seem to give $1-2k off mrsp max on the GX.
Old 12-22-16, 02:28 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

This has proven frustrating. Pittsburgh is a monopoly. 1 dealer controls the market. Lexus pricing. I have gone out of market. So far the best I've received is $5800 and I don't think anyone else is going to go higher. The dealer even offered to drive the car to me so I think that's a deal I can't pass up. If anyone wants details, pm me. Lexus Plus is a scam. Clearly enough people just don't care that any sales lost are made up by suckers. I like the car and it's a good fit for my family but it consistently ranks low in the ratings on midsize SUVs and the gas mileage is terrible. Just can't believe they are in such demand that dealers can be arrogant about pricing. Looking to close the deal on a white premium with captain's chairs next week!
Old 12-30-16, 08:32 PM
pmurphy100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a 17 GX460 yesterday in Chicagoland. MSRP was $59,553 and I got them to go $54,091. Plus they gave me the most for my trade by about $1500. I emailed about 10 dealers within 100 miles of my place and was willing to drive. I've bought from this dealer before too.
Old 12-31-16, 10:58 AM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pmurphy100
I just picked up a 17 GX460 yesterday in Chicagoland. MSRP was $59,553 and I got them to go $54,091. Plus they gave me the most for my trade by about $1500. I emailed about 10 dealers within 100 miles of my place and was willing to drive. I've bought from this dealer before too.
Nice deal. Congrats. Pulled the trigger on a 17 white/sepia with the bench seat. Best I could get in my local area was about $1800 due to obnoxious Lexus Plus Price Scam. Went out of market and was offered $5800 (less a $300 doc fee) so $5500. Turns out my wife hated the captain's chairs (as an aside, they really did a poor job with this. Just ripped out the console resulting in wasted space). Dealer had 1 2017 with a bench seat but they wanted more for it since they claim it's rare and in demand. We ended up getting 5k off the bench seat and are satisfied. Car is being delivered tomorrow. Cross shopped heavily with the MDX. Very nice car and you get better gas mileage and techno wizardry/semi autonomous features for the same price but we are coming from an MDX and wanted to try something new. Plus, the Acura seems a step down in luxury compared to the Lexus. It was a close call particularly due to the gas mileage but I've wanted a GX for years and I think the 2017 in White is stunning. MDX is attractive but basically a minivan. I remain surprised at how little the dealers are willing to negotiate. By all means, there are tons of these cars on the lots and demand must be strong despite the poor reviews and aged platform. I really appreciated the smooth V8 and tank like feel of the truck. Really a much different experience than a modern crossover.

Last edited by clerkp; 12-31-16 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 03:53 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by clerkp
Nice deal. Congrats. Pulled the trigger on a 17 white/sepia with the bench seat. Best I could get in my local area was about $1800 due to obnoxious Lexus Plus Price Scam. Went out of market and was offered $5800 (less a $300 doc fee) so $5500. Turns out my wife hated the captain's chairs (as an aside, they really did a poor job with this. Just ripped out the console resulting in wasted space). Dealer had 1 2017 with a bench seat but they wanted more for it since they claim it's rare and in demand. We ended up getting 5k off the bench seat and are satisfied. Car is being delivered tomorrow. Cross shopped heavily with the MDX. Very nice car and you get better gas mileage and techno wizardry/semi autonomous features for the same price but we are coming from an MDX and wanted to try something new. Plus, the Acura seems a step down in luxury compared to the Lexus. It was a close call particularly due to the gas mileage but I've wanted a GX for years and I think the 2017 in White is stunning. MDX is attractive but basically a minivan. I remain surprised at how little the dealers are willing to negotiate. By all means, there are tons of these cars on the lots and demand must be strong despite the poor reviews and aged platform. I really appreciated the smooth V8 and tank like feel of the truck. Really a much different experience than a modern crossover.
Congrats, yea I considered a new MDX when I bought my used GX. The technology was a nice feature, but I think they went in the wrong direction with the look. The older models at least had a truck style appereance.
Old 12-31-16, 05:12 PM
Brlewis81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a new '17 last night MSRP: $59,278 and I was able to get them down to $54,202 as well as making my first payment for me. I'm in Northern, VA for reference.
Old 01-01-17, 08:53 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We ended up getting about $2K off our 2017 GX (Luxury w/Sport Design package). There is only one Lexus dealer locally and they had to dealer trade to get the GX we wanted, so did not expect any great discounts to be had. From what I have observed on the forum, larger metro area dealers seem to offer much better discounts.
Old 01-03-17, 07:25 AM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by budman1
We ended up getting about $2K off our 2017 GX (Luxury w/Sport Design package). There is only one Lexus dealer locally and they had to dealer trade to get the GX we wanted, so did not expect any great discounts to be had. From what I have observed on the forum, larger metro area dealers seem to offer much better discounts.
Gorgeous combo. Wanted the sport design but wasn't willing to pay the 2k step up plus the extra 3k in lost discount from going out of market to get it. Too much of a swing for me. Need to save some money for fuel...
Old 01-03-17, 11:17 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

My dealer's owner, Lexus of Lehigh Valley (Eastern PA) started the Lexus Plus Pricing a couple of years ago. It was successful enough for Lexus to do it nationwide (still in process I believe) but again will vary by region as stated above. For example - compared to the price you were quoted I picked up a 2017 GX460 Premium w/ Captains Chairs this past Saturday inclusive of:
  • BLS package
  • Glass Breakage Sensor
  • Wood & Leather Steering Wheel/Shift ****
  • Exhaust Tip
  • Carpet Cargo Mat
  • Headlamp Washers
  • Wheel Locks
  • Cargo Net
  • Key Gloves
Base Model Price + Options + Delivery/Processing = $58,624 (MSRP)
Lexus Plus Pricing = $54,872
Delta = $3,752

The entire purpose of it is to have a non-haggle price. My dealer, not sure about others, changed their compensation structure as well. The sales folks do not get comp'd on the price of the car they sell you. They get comp'd on the number of units they sell and their customer satisfaction ratings. I am sure there are bonuses for the most number of units per month/quarter or highest CSR in a month or quarter; but the point of the program is for a person to enter the dealership and not feel like they need to take a shot of whiskey and a Pepcid before being approached by a salesperson then shower when you get home.

Sad thing now is I drove the 7 miles home and it was parked in the driveway until this morning when I drove it 10 miles to a shop to get the RockGuard installed. It won't be done until Thursday. I know the guy who does it and my old RX was the first one he did for the dealership and then he got a contract with them so he gives me a discount.

YMMV

Last edited by MX5NES350; 01-03-17 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 12:12 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
My dealer's owner, Lexus of Lehigh Valley (Eastern PA) started the Lexus Plus Pricing a couple of years ago. It was successful enough for Lexus to do it nationwide (still in process I believe) but again will vary by region as stated above. For example - compared to the price you were quoted I picked up a 2017 GX460 Premium w/ Captains Chairs this past Saturday inclusive of:
  • BLS package
  • Glass Breakage Sensor
  • Wood & Leather Steering Wheel/Shift ****
  • Exhaust Tip
  • Carpet Cargo Mat
  • Headlamp Washers
  • Wheel Locks
  • Cargo Net
  • Key Gloves
Base Model Price + Options + Delivery/Processing = $58,624 (MSRP)
Lexus Plus Pricing = $54,872
Delta = $3,752

The entire purpose of it is to have a non-haggle price. My dealer, not sure about others, changed their compensation structure as well. The sales folks do not get comp'd on the price of the car they sell you. They get comp'd on the number of units they sell and their customer satisfaction ratings. I am sure there are bonuses for the most number of units per month/quarter or highest CSR in a month or quarter; but the point of the program is for a person to enter the dealership and not feel like they need to take a shot of whiskey and a Pepcid before being approached by a salesperson then shower when you get home.

Sad thing now is I drove the 7 miles home and it was parked in the driveway until this morning when I drove it 10 miles to a shop to get the RockGuard installed. It won't be done until Thursday. I know the guy who does it and my old RX was the first one he did for the dealership and then he got a contract with them so he gives me a discount.

YMMV

If the local dealer had offered me $3750 rather than $1800 I would have strongly considered it. I guess they are either too greedy or they can simply count on the fact that by controlling the market, they can get away with it. Congrats on the purchase. We go almost the same car except we went with the bench seat.
Old 01-04-17, 08:02 PM
ndg
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the interesting thread. I'm in the market for a new car. I was thinking of getting an RX to replace an aging ES350. My wife and I don't love the looks of the new RX, and I can't seem to find my preferred options in stock in eastern PA (Philadelphia suburbs). My local dealer seems to stock base models or F Sport, so I've started looking at the GX. I'm surprised to hear that discounts aren't widely available on the GX. Does it still come with the recalled airbag? Local dealer web site lists a white luxury with sepia. That sounds intriguing, but not without a discount.

Quick Reply: new 2017 pricing question