GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Any source for credible info on 2018 GX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 10:05 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Any source for credible info on 2018 GX?

Admittedly it is early to start thinking about 2018, but the GX is overdue for a restyling. I suspect the 2018 model year may be the year...but where would one go to stay up to date on Lexus' real plans?
Old 11-16-16, 11:33 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

None that I could see either. My guess it would be in line with its bigger sibling, the LX, especially for the interior. It's too bad the captain's chairs are forced on you now.
Old 11-17-16, 01:42 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Once they showed us that the 2017 would be the same thing it became time to think about the 2018

Autonews.com is usually pretty decent and has a good "future product pipeline" section, but there's not much on the GX at present. Once there is some update, it should make most car websites but will likely hit autonews first. Also, you can bet that someone will post here too.

The fact is that there is simply no word right now. The only real nugget Toyota has given us is that Toyota Safety Sense & Lexus Safety + are coming to their entire lineup "by the end of 2017" except the 4Runner, GX460, and a couple of others. This has led speculation that they are waiting to add these features when the prado platform gets a redesign, possibly for 2018, which would line up with how long they kept previous generations. However, even the 2018 date has not been confirmed. One thing we know for sure is that Toyota has a real penchant these days for continuing to roll out the same old ****, year after year. They've been making the same LX since 2008, and they've been making the same Tundra since 2007. Last year the LX was though to be getting a redesign but ended up just getting a substantial facelift. A 2018 or 2019 GX could simply be a facelift as well.

If you look at Toyota's previous marketing strategy as a guide, the 2010 redesigned GX460 was not unveiled until November of 2009 at the Guangzhou Motor Show and the 2010 redesigned Toyota 4Runner was not unveiled until end of September 2009 at the Texas State Fair. And there were no real leaks of any substance prior. So, if you want to know what's in store for 2018, you'll probably have to wait until the very end of 2017 to find out.

IMO that's a very long time to wait, especially given the very real probability that it'll stay the same for 2018 or get some minimal refresh, and then start the clock rolling again waiting for the 2019, 2020, etc. And all the while we're getting lots of great new stuff from the competition like the Audi Q7, new Disco, 2nd gen Ford Raptor, and even a redesigned Jeep Wrangler.
Old 11-17-16, 06:28 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Thank you for the info. Craigyyy
Old 11-17-16, 07:52 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

it all hinges down to the three row RX launch. In terms of refresh, if they were to do something for gx 2018 it would be similar to the LX refresh. Just be ready for a bump in price.
Old 11-18-16, 07:58 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

wait and see what they do with LX first. That is due for redesign at end of 2018.
They may discontinue the GX but no one knows. It is due for redesign also by end of 2018-19
Old 11-18-16, 10:26 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
wait and see what they do with LX first. That is due for redesign at end of 2018.
They may discontinue the GX but no one knows. It is due for redesign also by end of 2018-19
Didnt they recently redesign the LX?
Old 11-18-16, 03:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
I heavily doubt theyre touching the LX at all for a while. The LX uses the same body, but has been revised thorougly enough to be considered a refresh in its own. The new infotainment and interior design puts it inline with the all new 16 RX. So until they update the RX, I`d say they`re done reinventing the LX.

Again until we get crumbs from future press releases, its going to be hard to figure out what and where the GX is going to
Old 11-19-16, 03:00 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I heavily doubt theyre touching the LX at all for a while. The LX uses the same body, but has been revised thorougly enough to be considered a refresh in its own.
It's still the same generation Land Cruiser (J200) though. The previous J100 also went through two refresh cycles before being replaced. I would not be surprised if the newest iteration only lasts 3 years, meaning a late 2018 introduction as a 2019 model. We will likely hear about changes to the Land Cruiser before the LX, but when we do, we'll know that the LX is coming as well.

It could be the same for the 4Runner. If anyone gets solid info on the next 4Runner, that could signal an update for the GX as well.
Old 11-21-16, 09:23 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Didnt they recently redesign the LX?
Fairly substantial refresh with new body panels, freshened interior and a 8 speed automatic, but it's the same truck.

Originally Posted by bd5400
It's still the same generation Land Cruiser (J200) though. The previous J100 also went through two refresh cycles before being replaced. I would not be surprised if the newest iteration only lasts 3 years, meaning a late 2018 introduction as a 2019 model. We will likely hear about changes to the Land Cruiser before the LX, but when we do, we'll know that the LX is coming as well.

It could be the same for the 4Runner. If anyone gets solid info on the next 4Runner, that could signal an update for the GX as well.
If I were putting money on it, I'd bet on it being awhile before a true redesign, at least the three model years you mention, and maybe even another facelift to extend it further. The LX and Landcruiser are flagships and carry a lot of prestige in some markets but they are very, very low volume (3,000 - 5,000 per year in USA). I think it would sell far better with a more reasonable price point, but that's another discussion.

Absolutely the LX and Landcruiser are tied to each other, one and the same. Similar thing with the 4Runner and GX. Once you get news of one, news of the other will be imminent. However powertrain and features will likely be vastly different, unlike the LX/LC. Autonews expects the next-gen 4runner to get the atkinson V6 out of the Tacoma, but a V6 in the Lexus may be less likely. GX should, at a minimum, be getting the 8 speed transmission and should also get some sort of boost in power to keep up with the competition, but the most likely candidate for the replacement engine is the same 1UR 4.6L. Of course this is all speculation, and there are just as many rumors that the GX will be somehow replaced by the three-row RX crossover.

The only safe bet is that we're going to be waiting a long time, absolute minimum 10-12mos, possibly another couple model years, before we find out anything on the future of the GX.
Old 11-22-16, 04:25 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not sure how people are calling the LX a refresh. New engine, new transmission, new interior, new front end, new rear end, modern infotainment system. That is far beyond a mid cycle refresh.

I assume at some point Lexus will give a similar update to the GX. And if they continue to use the "mouse" controller it's going to make it harder to get me to buy a new one. We had a GS with that controller and I hated it. And every road test I have ever read about a Lexus with it also complains about it. One of the reasons I bought the GX is because I actually prefer the touch screen and the lack of a few other features that many new vehicles have such as "start-stop".
Old 11-22-16, 01:50 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I'm not sure how people are calling the LX a refresh. New engine, new transmission, new interior, new front end, new rear end, modern infotainment system. That is far beyond a mid cycle refresh.

I assume at some point Lexus will give a similar update to the GX. And if they continue to use the "mouse" controller it's going to make it harder to get me to buy a new one. We had a GS with that controller and I hated it. And every road test I have ever read about a Lexus with it also complains about it. One of the reasons I bought the GX is because I actually prefer the touch screen and the lack of a few other features that many new vehicles have such as "start-stop".
Same carryover engine from before. It's a big refresh but it is not a redesign as the chassis and all the mechanicals are the same underneath besides the 8 speed.
Old 11-22-16, 06:27 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Same carryover engine from before. It's a big refresh but it is not a redesign as the chassis and all the mechanicals are the same underneath besides the 8 speed.
My bad on the engine. Still way too much of a change for just one or two years in my opinion.
Old 11-23-16, 07:17 PM
v12oom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no GX on the lineup in the Lexus.jp. There are two possible options with the GX. One, it's up for a redesign in 2018. Two, Lexus may cancel the line completely. Based on what the Lexus dealer in Las Vegas, 2017 GX460 will be the last year; however, other Lexus dealers in CA do not concur with the news. My gut feeling is that Lexus will discontinue the GX460 because there's no crossover with a 7-seater besides a Toyota Highlander. It makes sense that Lexus will create a Lexus Crossover with a 7 seater, possible RX-L or TX nomenclature. Check out the Lexus lineup in Japan sans GX.

http://lexus.jp/international/models/index.html
Old 11-29-16, 08:07 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jjscsix
My bad on the engine. Still way too much of a change for just one or two years in my opinion.
Agreed, current LX should continue to be around for some time.

Originally Posted by v12oom
There's no GX on the lineup in the Lexus.jp. There are two possible options with the GX. One, it's up for a redesign in 2018. Two, Lexus may cancel the line completely. Based on what the Lexus dealer in Las Vegas, 2017 GX460 will be the last year; however, other Lexus dealers in CA do not concur with the news. My gut feeling is that Lexus will discontinue the GX460 because there's no crossover with a 7-seater besides a Toyota Highlander. It makes sense that Lexus will create a Lexus Crossover with a 7 seater, possible RX-L or TX nomenclature. Check out the Lexus lineup in Japan sans GX.

http://lexus.jp/international/models/index.html
Has Japan ever had the GX? GX is sold in Japan as a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. Many markets (USA included) do not get both the GX and the Prado, usually one or the other.

I also very much doubt that a guy at a dealership knows more about future product than the press.

Quick Reply: Any source for credible info on 2018 GX?