Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Awesome Pics, lifts and mods!!!
Old 04-05-17, 09:39 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The body really limits the ability. If you are willing to sacrifice the "plastic" then it should of what a 4 Runner does, minus the rear locker. I have built some serious off roaders. Lifted, lockers in both ends, rollers in the back,etc. The other limiting factor will be, (and always is) suspension travel. since our GX's and most cars now days, have IFS. The suspension travel is poor. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of aftermarket stuff to make it better. I am told even the Prado stuff doesn't always fit. But for most people, the limiting factor will be the approach and departure angles will be the limiting factor. Departure angle is easily fixed with rollers. Well not really fixed, but limits damage, and makes it much less of an issue. Don't know what to do with the front. But I suspect I will be breaking that plastic in the not to distance future. So need to find a solution.
Old 04-05-17, 09:56 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice to see some interest in exploring with the GX. I guess for us, its become more of freedom. I don't want to be inhibited from heading out on the road less traveled, because of what I drive. I am willing to risk a few dents to go where I want to go, instead of keeping to the county roads, and super slab. It's no longer about how rough the road is ( challenging, and satisfying, no doubt) But the adventure of finding new places, and discovering new places, and sights. The vehicle HAS to be up to the task. with a few mods, I think the GX will fit nicely in that arena. And get us old folks down the highway in comfort.
Old 04-06-17, 05:24 AM
stilespend
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
Nice to see some interest in exploring with the GX. I guess for us, its become more of freedom. I don't want to be inhibited from heading out on the road less traveled, because of what I drive. I am willing to risk a few dents to go where I want to go, instead of keeping to the county roads, and super slab. It's no longer about how rough the road is ( challenging, and satisfying, no doubt) But the adventure of finding new places, and discovering new places, and sights. The vehicle HAS to be up to the task. with a few mods, I think the GX will fit nicely in that arena. And get us old folks down the highway in comfort.
I would agree. It's funny how under utilized the GX460 is for off-road wheeling and expedition because the Prado 150's are widely used in Australia for that alone!
Old 04-06-17, 05:33 AM
stilespend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
The body really limits the ability. If you are willing to sacrifice the "plastic" then it should of what a 4 Runner does, minus the rear locker. I have built some serious off roaders. Lifted, lockers in both ends, rollers in the back,etc. The other limiting factor will be, (and always is) suspension travel. since our GX's and most cars now days, have IFS. The suspension travel is poor. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of aftermarket stuff to make it better. I am told even the Prado stuff doesn't always fit. But for most people, the limiting factor will be the approach and departure angles will be the limiting factor. Departure angle is easily fixed with rollers. Well not really fixed, but limits damage, and makes it much less of an issue. Don't know what to do with the front. But I suspect I will be breaking that plastic in the not to distance future. So need to find a solution.
The front bumper isn't horrible in terms of approach angle once it's lifted. The rear however, is a destined to get some abuse. Luckily Metal Tech is prototyping GX460 specific front and rear bumpers. There are options out there now for the GX460, but they all come from Prado 150 and require modification to fit.

Name:  MetalTech%20Talon%20Front%20Bumper_zpstz7nway9.jpg
Views: 7064
Size:  171.4 KB

In terms of suspension travel, I wouldn't say that its the IFS that limits the travel, but more of the KDSS system. There are plenty of guys doing full long travel suspensions front and rear on their GX470s and get more down travel than you'd ever imagine! However to do full LT you have to forego the KDSS system.
Old 04-06-17, 01:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I've got big bore quads and a stock '00 wrangler to take me to some dicey places but figure the GX 460 will get the wife out to more places in comfort. I'd like to get skids for the full gas tank and transfer case so looking around for that. At 35K miles not ready to change out suspension or attempt lifts at this point.
Old 04-06-17, 02:00 PM
stilespend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I've got big bore quads and a stock '00 wrangler to take me to some dicey places but figure the GX 460 will get the wife out to more places in comfort. I'd like to get skids for the full gas tank and transfer case so looking around for that. At 35K miles not ready to change out suspension or attempt lifts at this point.
Why not wheel in luxury? What's more off-road than air-conditioned seats? HAHAHAHA!!!

RCI Metalworks makes skids for the GX460.

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/10-17-GX460_c49.htm
The following 2 users liked this post by stilespend:
bbqsoup (04-06-17), Oldmanb777 (04-06-17)
Old 09-19-17, 05:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That 30-31 minute mark has me thinking potential wet secondary air filter....

Old 09-19-17, 09:46 PM
7h3Stig
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bumper Trim

Hey guys, I've taken mine off the beaten path a few times bone stock and so far no damage and it has really impressed me. Has anyone here considered, or done a bumper trim? I think combined with a nice lift and improved tires it could really help with approach and departure angles. I've got a 15 so the MT bumper isn't an option. Saw this on Instagram and thought it might work wonders.
Old 09-20-17, 06:38 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've spoken to him about that truck. He is currently or has already had an ARB bumper installed but hasnt posted pics yet. I asked whether, if he had the option, would he lift it first or swap out the bumper first and he said he wouldve done the bumper first. He also has a high end Icon suspension and aftermarket rear bumper as well. I personally think the front bumper on the 14+ is its achilles heel. Given the limited options for aftermarket bumpers for a 14+ it couldnt hurt to trim it like he did, especially since almost any aftermarket bumper will require trimming the stock bumper anyway.

I am trying to source an ARB Sahara Bar which is a little lower key than most ARB full frame bull bars (pretty sure he went with a bull bar) but its tough since its so new and made for the Prado 150 which isnt sold in the US so no reason for them to ship any stateside.

Many parts can be found for our cars if you are resourceful as people have mentioned, RCI, MetalTech, and almost any suspension setups meant for the newest gen FJ Cruisers. Several companies build bolt on sliders for us now as well.

I also contacted MetalTech regarding a bumper for the 14+ GX and it sounds like he will eventually make one but has no idea when. The more people that contact vendors and fabricators wanting parts for our truck the more susceptible they will be to start building and stocking those parts. Especially as someone already mentioned since the first gen is getting into the sub $25k range it makes it affordable for the offroad crowd as the 4runner/taco/FJ is. Once the 150/460 gets down there as well a whole new world of parts and possibility will open up for us. But it doesnt hurt to try and convince those vendors and fabricators to get ahead of the game a little and build up their base and reputation among the 460 crowd a little early
Old 09-20-17, 06:40 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You guys taking a luxury vehicle off roading is like someone taking a yacht to a canoe race. JMHO.

(Call me next time you go! Hahaha)
Old 09-20-17, 06:59 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I understand peoples thoughts when they say that but when you look at the actual dimensions of the truck, theyre not that bad. I think its actually slimmer and shorter LxW than a 4runner and tacoma. Hell, my parents MDX is about 6 inches wider and longer than the GX but they think its bigger since its boxier and taller. Its a little heavier than most but it has a V8 to pull that weight. Its the approach, breakover, and departure angles that kill it. Get rid of those bumpers and side steps and its as good as a stock Prado 150 (which is extremely formidable in stock form). From what I've seen, its the front and rear wheel arch flares that take a lot of damage once the bumpers are out of the way. When the body starts leaning heavily with an obstacle to your side that will suck big time.... crunch.
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (09-21-17)
Old 09-20-17, 08:35 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I remembered when I saw his truck when picking up the tonneau cover, he didn’t cut his bumper yet. He mentioned that the front bumper is imported from AU through a local place and would be customized for his GX.
It was an awesome truck upclose. I wont be lifting mine anytime soon but would love a nice ARB.
Old 09-20-17, 03:25 PM
racingdc9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone lifted their GX? I saw a guy on here that used a ready lift 3/2 kit but he hasn't answered my pm. I just got a 2017 premium(no air suspension). I'm also thinking of getting BFG KO2's. What's the biggest size can I go on stock wheels and height?
Old 09-20-17, 07:36 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 7h3Stig
Hey guys, I've taken mine off the beaten path a few times bone stock and so far no damage and it has really impressed me. Has anyone here considered, or done a bumper trim? I think combined with a nice lift and improved tires it could really help with approach and departure angles. I've got a 15 so the MT bumper isn't an option. Saw this on Instagram and thought it might work wonders
Could you let me know what Instagram acct you saw this on? Thank you!

Quick Reply: Off Roading