GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX Seat Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 09:42 AM
NewOwnerGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX Seat Replacement

I'm a new owner of a GX and finding the seat uncomfortable (I find the lumbar support sticks out to far). I previously owned an RX which was very comfortable. Anyone aware of if you can replace the GX seat with an RX seat.
Old 07-01-16, 05:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Hasn't been done here. You are not the first to complain about this and others insist that it is comfortable. Personally I feel no discomfort, but obviously there is a reason for the multiple complaints.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-s-seat.html
Old 07-02-16, 10:23 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Different question, but related and I'm not sure it's worth starting a new thread for it.

My used GX now has 48k on it and the driver seat is showing some wear.
Does anyone have any idea how much it would be to repair and/or re-fill with padding?
It's sinks noticeably more than the passenger seat does.

Also curious if anyone has a sense for how much a new seat would be?

It's a Premium and has the Ecru
Old 07-02-16, 03:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Probably better to have a car shop do this rather than OEM seat replacement. I have replaced the leather on on a couple of Acuras and the cost was $400 give or take. Unfortunately the seat needs to be removed so you must part with it for a day. I sold my MDX and the new owner had the drivers side seating area redone and they messed up the heating pad so they had to go back into it. If you have the ventilated seats and want to add padding, I would keep this in mind.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...g=Ecura%20seat
Old 07-02-16, 11:22 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here you go, an idea:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/5658577165.html
Old 07-03-16, 01:16 PM
paui4m
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Great information.
Thanks, Tecman!

Originally Posted by tecman
Probably better to have a car shop do this rather than OEM seat replacement. I have replaced the leather on on a couple of Acuras and the cost was $400 give or take. Unfortunately the seat needs to be removed so you must part with it for a day. I sold my MDX and the new owner had the drivers side seating area redone and they messed up the heating pad so they had to go back into it. If you have the ventilated seats and want to add padding, I would keep this in mind.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...g=Ecura%20seat
Old 01-20-17, 09:46 PM
rmtannerjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I may have discovered the problem and a solution...

I'm new, hope this hasn't been covered since I am quite proud of myself. I realize this is an old thread but as the new owner of a 2011 gx460 premium, I quickly realized there was no seat position that my back didn't ache. I have an hour commute each way to work and after 2 weeks I decided to take matters into my own hands after this thread showed me I wasn't crazy and Lexus would do nothing.

I am normally long winded but it's late so I will make this quick and add any pictures later since it is still apart.

The actuve head rest apparently works works off of the force of our backs being jammed into the seat that pulls a cable to push the headrests forward...

This is where this fix could be against some rules/laws so if you aren't wanting to let go of that active headrest feature, I may not be able to offer a very good solution. Still, it's worth noting the problem and better than getting rid of the gx.

The repair was extremely simple. Just pop the cable off of the retainer. No need to remove the wire retainers I used pliers to bend open. Instant comfort and other than being careful removing the seat back, it's probably a 5-10 process per side.

Please do this at your own risk as this does deactivate a safety feature. I hope it helps someone that has contemplated getting rid of their GX like I was.

-Richard
The following users liked this post:
skeegs (03-12-21)
Old 01-21-17, 11:42 AM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Hasn't been done here. You are not the first to complain about this and others insist that it is comfortable. Personally I feel no discomfort, but obviously there is a reason for the multiple complaints.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-s-seat.html
My car is two weeks old. I immediately noticed the extreme lower lumbar as complained about in this thread. My wife says it doesn't bother her and it's her car but I find it to be extremely uncomfortable. Like a steel bar jammed in my lower back. A fix would be welcome. According to the link, so people traded them in. I'm surprised more people aren't bothered by this and wondered if it was just our car. I didn't notice on the test drive.
Old 01-21-17, 10:28 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have bad back after being injured in accident 8 years back so my #1 requirement ina scar is always driver seat comfort. I started to get low back pain on 17 GX premium model with real leather during my 20 min test drive. Certainly, that car was out of question for me.
The following day, salesman asked me to come back and I tried GX luxury with aniline leather and it was much better, softer leather prodiced no discomfort at all.
Since I couldn't afford Luxury model, I went for a Base with Nuluxe which has the same softness as aniline leather of Luxury.
Since I went with loaded Base model, I only sacrificed rear A/C with seat heater, and fog lights but I gained my comfort.
For all prospective GX buyers if seat in Premium seems to be uncomfortable to you then try Luxury model. If you could swing for Luxury, go for it or downgrade to a Base.
So far, my longest drive in the Base GX was 250 miles non-stop ride up to Sierra Nevada and I can swear the Base model with Nuluxe doesn't produce any discomfort or pain for me at least.
Old 05-14-18, 11:26 AM
yutahay
Driver School Candidate

2008 GX 470 has always been a leg pain producer for me. After an hour of driving the leg bolster begins to irritate my leg and cause pain. My wife has the same problem. We love the car and put up with it but I'm thinking about buying a Ford F250 which is much more comfortable. If the Lexus seats were good for long distance driving I'd keep it and turn it into an adventure vehicle with new tires, bumpers, winches, and racks but I basically hate having to put up with the pain. Anyone ever put a different seat in theirs which is more comfortable?
Old 05-15-18, 08:50 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a feeling most of the people complaining about the seats being uncomfortable either have a pre-existing condition or just plain dont have their seat adjusted correctly and/or dont sit in the seat properly. Not to mention leg and foot placement make a huge impact on how your hips and lower back feel when driving.

https://www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/...ng_Digital.pdf
Old 01-25-21, 12:46 PM
Denvergx
Driver School Candidate

Did this reduce the Lumbar cranking into your back?