GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 03:43 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It's on the 2016s also, although they will not recall those for a few years, I am told after checking with the service manager.
Old 07-14-16, 02:50 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Wow!!! Are they ****ing kidding??

When my letter comes I'm dropping it off at the dealer and demanding a loaner until they replace the airbag.
Please let us know how that works out for you. 👍
Old 07-15-16, 09:42 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

At the dealership right now for a minor service. My GX is in scope for the recall. Service advisor told me that they're not expecting parts until January or February of 2017. In the meantime, they offered to give me a loaner until then. However this is a non-Lexus loaner with a rental value of about $30/day.
Old 07-15-16, 02:16 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by daman7676
At the dealership right now for a minor service. My GX is in scope for the recall. Service advisor told me that they're not expecting parts until January or February of 2017. In the meantime, they offered to give me a loaner until then. However this is a non-Lexus loaner with a rental value of about $30/day.
That is what BMW has been doing as well.
Old 07-16-16, 06:04 PM
lexstone
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contacted Lexus and they told me to call the local dealership to see if they could provide a loaner. I did and the dealership said that they were out of loaners and a $1,000 per month rental would be provided by Lexus which was only enough funds to cover a subcompact. I called Lexus back and told them that I have a back problem and a subcompact is not acceptable. Lexus opened a claim at that point.
Old 07-18-16, 01:11 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE93GT
Please let us know how that works out for you. 👍
Yeah really.

I did call Lexus and my dealer and they are working on getting me a loaner. Should hear back soon.
Old 07-18-16, 01:25 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by daman7676
Originally Posted by lexstone
I contacted Lexus and they told me to call the local dealership to see if they could provide a loaner. I did and the dealership said that they were out of loaners and a $1,000 per month rental would be provided by Lexus which was only enough funds to cover a subcompact. I called Lexus back and told them that I have a back problem and a subcompact is not acceptable. Lexus opened a claim at that point.
Originally Posted by bd5400
That is what BMW has been doing as well.
Good to know, thanks for sharing. This is at least something. Saying you can't have someone in the passenger seat, with no timetable for a solution, is absolutely ridiculous.

Looking at enterprise in my area, $1,000 a month is enough for a fullsize rental or an intermediate SUV (just clicking store to store has prices that vary wildly), but obviously not enough for a luxury SUV. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd be satisfied with that.

Obviously I'd much rather be driving my GX (which I just purchased for the purpose of being a family vehicle). In the few months and road trips I've had this car, it's been fantastic and I love it.

Let's hope Lexus/Toyota does right by the owners and takes care of us.
Old 07-27-16, 08:14 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

I have an appointment soon to get a rental vehicle. I'm not sure what they'll put me in but it sounds like it'll be a sedan or small SUV. I am tempted to just keep driving the GX and keep the passenger seat clear, but I carry people in the car almost every day, and frequently 4 or more, so keeping that seat open is just not practical, let alone embarrassing.

As an aside I'm having to go to a dealership about an hour away since my local dealer is refusing to help out. However I'm happy to travel if I'll get better service (or simply service for that matter).

I believe this is going to be a few months but I have heard that it might not be until early next year that we get replacement airbags. Insane.

Anyone else have any updates or experiences?
Old 07-27-16, 10:14 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy

I believe this is going to be a few months but I have heard that it might not be until early next year that we get replacement airbags. Insane.

Anyone else have any updates or experiences?
Honestly, I would consider early next year a pretty good timeline. Prior to my GX I had a BMW 3 Series and the estimates for those are 18 months to two years potentially. The recall is so massive that production just can't keep up with all of the needed replacements.
Old 07-27-16, 02:20 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by bd5400
Honestly, I would consider early next year a pretty good timeline. Prior to my GX I had a BMW 3 Series and the estimates for those are 18 months to two years potentially. The recall is so massive that production just can't keep up with all of the needed replacements.
Yeah I suppose so. It just seems nuts that Lexus is going to have people literally park their vehicles for 6mos or more. And I just bought mine.

I'm sure they get very good corporate/fleet discounts and whatnot, but to provide rentals/loaners for that long would cost thousands of dollars per person. Conceivably easily over $5,000. It seems like there should be some cheaper/quicker solution.

Again I'm really disappointed/irritated that I'm going to be without my vehicle (they require you to park the truck the entire time if you take the loaner) for potentially half a year or longer and in a cheap rental. I suppose I can take some solace in the fact that I won't be putting miles on my GX for that time, but it will still be depreciating nevertheless while I can't use it.
Old 07-27-16, 03:15 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably not a great idea but why not put in the same faulty airbag but with a newer production date. The key issue is the degradation of the propellant used to inflate the airbag (6-9 years if I recall correctly). I'm sure they probably have some leftover stock of the faulty ones. Granted Lexus would have to do double the work (put in temporary airbag until proper unit becomes available and then replace again) it'd probably save them on rental car costs for 6-9 months and a reduced brand impact for the lengthy delay.

Again, not a great idea. Just kicking around thoughts.
Old 07-30-16, 05:54 PM
Brn2drive
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My BMW is part of,the airbag recall and I ended up with a 2016 X5 loaner until airbags are available. Not a bad deal but I probably would have kept driving my car is they offered me a compact rental. Hope this is all resolved soon.

Our GX is a 2010 but I haven't received a letter, I'll have to call the dealer to check.
Old 07-31-16, 04:01 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

My Lexus dealer is putting people in Toyota rentals from their sister dealership. I am in a new Rav4 right now. Surprisingly decent little car. Of course I would prefer to be in my GX but this way I don't have to avoid taking my car and/or explaining to people that they have to ride in the back.
Old 07-31-16, 04:32 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

If I let someone ride in my passenger seat I will recommend that they wear this ....Too soon?

Old 08-01-16, 09:39 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
If I let someone ride in my passenger seat I will recommend that they wear this ....Too soon?

In actuality they need something more like a Kevlar suit.

Quick Reply: 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall