GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2017 GX Confirmed? If true, automatic braking won't be standard

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 08:30 AM
bodagetta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 GX Confirmed? If true, automatic braking won't be standard

A recent press release from Toyota / Lexus states that the company will make automated braking standard on "nearly every model" by the end of 2017.

Notably, for the release also states the following regarding models that WILL NOT be receiving such treatment:
Models that will not offer the systems standard by the end of 2017 include Lexus GX, Toyota Mirai, 4Runner, and 86 (jointly developed with Subaru), and Scion iA (developed by Mazda).
This could be read two ways: (1) confirmation that the 2017 GX will be released; or, (2) a sign that Lexus is done developing the GX. I think the former is the more likely case based on the fact that 4Runner (on the same platform) is also mentioned, and Toyota certainly won't be dropping that vehicle.

I'm part of the live-and-let-live crowd that prefers not to fret constantly over the future of the GX and just enjoy the trucks while we've got them, but either way I thought the explicit mention of a 2017 GX would interest some folks here. If it is going to be around, I wonder if the omission of the automated braking system is intended to continue to keep separation between the LX + sell the driver support upgrades (which I paid for on my 2015 GX).

Source: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ndard+2017.htm
Old 03-28-16, 09:15 AM
thequickad
Rookie

Every auto reviews has stated GX is an outdated platform. Toyota/Lexus need to do something to compete with other Ultra Luxury SUVs and not just changing the Grill to look like a spindle.
Old 03-28-16, 10:18 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bodagetta
A recent press release from Toyota / Lexus states that the company will make automated braking standard on "nearly every model" by the end of 2017.

Notably, for the release also states the following regarding models that WILL NOT be receiving such treatment:

This could be read two ways: (1) confirmation that the 2017 GX will be released; or, (2) a sign that Lexus is done developing the GX. I think the former is the more likely case based on the fact that 4Runner (on the same platform) is also mentioned, and Toyota certainly won't be dropping that vehicle.

I'm part of the live-and-let-live crowd that prefers not to fret constantly over the future of the GX and just enjoy the trucks while we've got them, but either way I thought the explicit mention of a 2017 GX would interest some folks here. If it is going to be around, I wonder if the omission of the automated braking system is intended to continue to keep separation between the LX + sell the driver support upgrades (which I paid for on my 2015 GX).

Source: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ndard+2017.htm
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...end-of-gx.html

There was further discussion/speculation in the above thread, which references the same info.

Originally Posted by thequickad
Every auto reviews has stated GX is an outdated platform. Toyota/Lexus need to do something to compete with other Ultra Luxury SUVs and not just changing the Grill to look like a spindle.
Generally, from what I've read, the "outdated" platform is referring to the fact that the GX is BOF, where most competitors in the segment are crossovers. Complaints about body roll, handling, and fuel economy seem to be fairly common. So long as Lexus keeps the GX BOF, it will always be an "outdated" platform in the eyes of people who view it from that perspective and believe it should be replaced with a crossover.
Old 03-28-16, 01:53 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with bd5400. It is a niche vehicle that fits a purpose for some. We bought tours because most crossovers don't as high as my wife wanted and look too much like "mom-mobiles". The are many good choices in crossovers that are more practical. But we don't need to be practical and can afford not to be.

Ultimately, sales will dictate the answer. But I can say that since we got ours, and I'm one of those people that sees every vehicle on the road that I'm interested in, I'm amazed at just how many I do see on the road.
Old 04-01-16, 10:28 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Wonder if it just means the GX/4R are going to get another couple of years under the same generation with new models somewhere in 2018 (MY 2019). I read on a 4runner board that the current gen runner is carrying over to 2017.... Maybe they are hesitant to release a next generation model too b/c perhaps apple carplay is in the works. Dunno.
Old 04-02-16, 07:52 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Lexus and Apple working together?