GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Improving Ride Quality: Possible new owner of used GX 460

Old 01-15-16, 08:37 PM
adicha83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving Ride Quality: Possible new owner of used GX 460

Hi All,

First time poster here folks! I am in the process of deciding whether to get a used 2012 GX with 38k miles on it.

I am not new to Toyota (new to Lexus though), having owned a FJ Cruiser & a 4 Runner previously. Currently I have a LR Discovery Sport. Which brings me to my current dilemma. Just less than a month of owning the Disco Sport and its already been to the dealership once with a possible trip again due to some squeaks and rattles. I never had these types of issues with a Toyota.

Having said that, I am seriously thinking of returning this car and getting a used GX instead. However my primary concern is the ride quality. I know the GX is a body on frame and the ride quality cannot probably be compared to the Disco Sport or even an LR4 (I have test driven multiple GX and a LR4).

However, I am hoping there perhaps aftermarket suspensions in the GX could significantly improve the handling (body roll, nose dive etc.) which was a big issue for me with my previous 4Runner Trail premium especially since I live in a city (Pittsburgh) and a little brisk handling is just so much more convenient.

Would appreciate feedback from folks on here who may have updated their suspensions and the improvement of the ride quality they may have experienced.

Please note
: I do want a rig that would be off road capable as well as I plan to do pretty long expeditions both on road and in mild to medium off road conditions. I would prefer to do it in luxury plus want to try something new instead of getting another 4Runner. Hence the GX.

Hope the post wasn't too long and thanks in advance to everyone who can provide inputs!
Old 01-15-16, 09:36 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by adicha83
Hi All,

First time poster here folks! I am in the process of deciding whether to get a used 2012 GX with 38k miles on it.
Welcome to CL

Air suspension or not? Air gives you no upgrade options from what I have seen here. Standard suspension gives you options, but I don't think this is the versatility you are looking for. Air suspension sounds like your best choice with the 460. This gives you three levels of suspension comfort.
Old 01-16-16, 07:11 AM
adicha83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Welcome to CL

Air suspension or not? Air gives you no upgrade options from what I have seen here. Standard suspension gives you options, but I don't think this is the versatility you are looking for. Air suspension sounds like your best choice with the 460. This gives you three levels of suspension comfort.
I have my eye on the Base model as I plan to get a minor lift should I get the GX and I have read the premium would be difficult if not impossible for such mods.
Old 01-16-16, 09:12 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't find the GX to have nose dive, but maybe body role in the base. Did your Trail have KDSS? I have owned a base 2014 and luxury 2016 and the air suspension really works. I go firm for highway canyon runs and soft around town and the truck really shines. The body roll is eliminated with firm and I can get some extra clearance offroad in high mode.
Old 01-17-16, 11:26 AM
adicha83
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately the Premium GX that I found is not within my budget range so will have to go for a Base model. I have pretty much confirmed it and will probably be picking it up tomorrow

I really do like a firmer ride and was hoping to get information on which suspension systems work best with the GX and their pros and cons. I am continuing my research and hope to share it soon on this forum once its completed.
Old 01-18-16, 06:42 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think very few have changed out the suspension. You may have to research 5th gen 4runner work assuming it will transfer over. Good luck and be share to share the info back here once you have a plan.
Old 01-22-16, 01:35 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Every GX460 comes with KDSS as standard (was a rare option on the GX470).

But it's still a big heavy SUV and handles like one. But for a big heavy SUV it handles very well IMO.

Drive one and find out!
Old 01-22-16, 09:09 PM
adicha83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Every GX460 comes with KDSS as standard (was a rare option on the GX470).

But it's still a big heavy SUV and handles like one. But for a big heavy SUV it handles very well IMO.

Drive one and find out!
I drove it and bought it Agreed it drives very well considering its weight. Having said that a good after market suspension and tire change will likely improve the road/off-road handling capability of the vehicle.
Old 01-24-16, 01:47 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

What is KDSS? I know it's not the air suspension as it only shows that as part of the luxury package.
Old 01-24-16, 02:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Old 01-24-16, 04:04 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Thanks Tecman. For strictly on road driving are owners seeing positive improvements over previous models without it (and without air suspension)?
Old 01-24-16, 04:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Additional post.

Old 01-25-16, 09:28 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by adicha83
I drove it and bought it Agreed it drives very well considering its weight. Having said that a good after market suspension and tire change will likely improve the road/off-road handling capability of the vehicle.
Congrats!!

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Thanks Tecman. For strictly on road driving are owners seeing positive improvements over previous models without it (and without air suspension)?
KDSS is primarily an on-road improvement, allowing the truck to feature a more aggressive sway bar setup that decreases body roll, but doesn't compromising off-road ability due to the hydraulic disconnecting feature.
Old 01-25-16, 06:27 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Congrats!!

KDSS is primarily an on-road improvement, allowing the truck to feature a more aggressive sway bar setup that decreases body roll, but doesn't compromising off-road ability due to the hydraulic disconnecting feature.
Thanks again!
Old 02-17-16, 08:35 PM
NES74
Driver School Candidate

I believe there are a number of after market suspensions available for the GX. The suspension set up is the same for 5th gen 4Runner, FJC, Prado 150 and GX 460.

Icon and OME (BP-51) both have height adjustable suspension (0-2.5/3") options that also allow you to tune the ride although BP-51 for 4Runner/GX not yet released in the states.

There are some folks that have gone after market with the GX and are posted on IH8MUD and Expedition Portal so may be worth checking out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improving Ride Quality: Possible new owner of used GX 460