Current Owner Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 10:24 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Current Owner Help

Hello,

I was wondering if you may be able to help me with a debate. Currently, as you see below, I have a '15 NX. I purchased the car in May, and have driven it as my DD. My family (wife & 2 wheaten terriers) and I went for a road trip this summer and we found that with just us, we were able to fill the vehicle to its max, not even including any future children. We quickly determined that we need more space and a 3rd row.

I took a trip to my local Toyota dealer in hopes of looking at a 2016 4Runner. I loved the truck and as you can see, I ordered one.

However, I begun to think to myself, I love the Lexus experience. I love how I'm treated, I love how my dealership takes care of me, and I just overall over the "Lexus ownership". So I begun to think, what about a used GX?

I am not the outdoorsy type, maybe a dirt road, or some deep PA snow (when we get it), but no offroading would ever be required. I simply needed more storage space & a 3rd row.

I have seen that several of you have gone from 4Runners to GX. How do the 2 compare? How does the 4.6L V8 drive? I found the 4.0L V6 in the 4Runner to be peppy, but I'm curious about a V8 only producing 300hp. However, with the V8, towing capacity is up, and lets be honest, the additional displacement always helps.

How do the interiors compare? I was rather impressed by the 4Runner interior. While its not Lexus quality, it was certainly above the Toyota quality I was accustomed to previously. Is the GX interior that much better? (Please bare in mind I have not personally seen one)

The 2016 4Runner has 88 ft3 of storage, and the Lexus site only shows 69ft3 of storage for the GX? Is this true? If so, that's a large different to just "disappear". Where is the space lost?

How do people like the swinging door as compared to a lift hatch? This is probably the thing about the GX I like the least....

Also, I was looking at a used 2014 with 10k miles. Is there anything I should know about the 2014 that is different from the 2016? (ie Issues that were fixed) I can't seem to tell anything different. In the model I'm looking at, it does not have the rear seat entertainment.

I would appreciate all input on this.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-12-16 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 07:17 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have a 08 GX with Sports Package/KDSS and let me tell you, it took a while for me to like the vehicle, coming from having LX previously. I wanted more power and trading-in my 00 LX was one of the hardest move I made – my three kids cried, that’s how much they loved the LX.

Owning a GX will make you want to flush all the memories of all the previous vehicles you’ve driven because you could never compare it with any other vehicle out there. The swing-out door in the back never was an issue for us. The quality of materials when comparing a Toyota and Lexus should be easy for anybody. The looks could be deceiving at first, but when you start touching both interiors – there is no comparison because the level of refinement is simply why you want a Lexus in the first place.

Then, I sold my 08GX and bought a CPO 14GX for my wife, knowing it’s still current and the newer safety features like the BSM, RCTA, parking sensors, and LED headlights would benefit her greatly while driving around town. I read GX forum posts extensively, comparing GX vehicles between their level of options included before going to Lexus dealers and comparing interiors between the three levels of the GX. When I was done with my research, I was certain to find a luxury GX. The quality of the leather seats, the adjustable suspension, and the ML sound system to me were compelling reasons to upgrade. I wanted to buy a new GX, but I could not reconcile the asking price and what I believe a reasonable price for such SUV.

Buying a CPO to me was so much easier expense to justify because for one, I saved $10k right away. Regarding exterior colors, If you decide to buy a white one, you’ll probably have to pay at least $1k more, when compared to the other colors being sold. To me it was worth it – the star fire pearl color is so beautiful to look at on a GX. Buying a GX is only the beginning, but you have to buy one with the luxury option or the experience will not be the same as not having one – you will end up spending more in the end. Good Luck and Happy GX hunting.
Old 01-13-16, 06:08 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why I didn't consider looking into the GX sooner, but I suppose I didn't figure the used prices of the refreshed design would be close to a new 4Runner.

The one I was looking at was $49k with 10k miles on it. However, the dealer hasn't gotten back to me when I reached out to them with questions.

As for colors, my wife's IS is white, so I would probably go with another color. Right now, the 4Runner I have ordered is Barcelona Red.
Old 01-13-16, 06:26 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

The 2016 4Runner has 88 ft3 of storage, and the Lexus site only shows 69ft3 of storage for the GX? Is this true? If so, that's a large different to just "disappear". Where is the space lost?
The 69cu ft of storage is just with the 3rd row down flat. If you lower down the second row, you get more.

The 88 for the 4runner is with the 2nd row and 3rd (if equipped) folded down.
Old 01-13-16, 06:35 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
The 69cu ft of storage is just with the 3rd row down flat. If you lower down the second row, you get more.

The 88 for the 4runner is with the 2nd row and 3rd (if equipped) folded down.
I don't think that's accurate.

The 4Runner is as follows (None/2nd/3rd) - 88/46/9

It appears the GX is as follows - 64/46/11

Source is Edmunds and cars.com

Where in the world are you losing 24ft3?

Last edited by Swacer; 01-13-16 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 07:23 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 2005 4Runner V8. I compared a new 4Runner, used GX and LX.

LX was too big for the wife. Had the most usable 3rd row. I loved the tailgate/hatch in the rear.

V8 GX has plenty of power. But the V6 4Runner was more than enough.

3rd row in either is not great. The 3rd row in the 4Runner does not fold flat. A Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot have better 3rd rows.

Cargo Capacity, 1st, 2nd, 3rd:

2015 4Runner 88.8 46.3 9
2015 GX 460 64.7 46.7 11.6

The GX 2nd row does not tumble and fold like a 4Runner (just folds), so less cargo room. Plus I think the rear cargo door setup takes up a little more room. I miss the rear hatch, but don't mind the door.

In the end, the GX has a many many more features over a 4Runner Limited.

The 2010-2014 GX has a TSB for "KDSS Leans to the Right" (VINs before JTJJM7FX#5081189). The repair is a new Front Right spring coil.

Purchased my '15 GX CPO in August with 12k miles.
Old 01-13-16, 11:09 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think there is enough of a meaningful difference if you are just comparing the 4Runner and GX for your needs (2 people, 2 dogs). The nice thing about a 4Runner and dogs is the electric window on the cargo door. Dogs love that.

I think both the 4Runner and the GX have good vertical cargo space, which is great for dogs. Other crossover vehicles tend to have a downsloping roofline that cramps the 3rd row/dog space quite a bit. Our dog hated our Q7. The MDX is similar.

Otherwise, it really comes down to whether you want the luxury appointments and the branding of Lexus. It is obviously important to a lot of people.
Old 01-13-16, 11:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jacket
I don't think there is enough of a meaningful difference if you are just comparing the 4Runner and GX for your needs (2 people, 2 dogs). The nice thing about a 4Runner and dogs is the electric window on the cargo door. Dogs love that.

I think both the 4Runner and the GX have good vertical cargo space, which is great for dogs. Other crossover vehicles tend to have a downsloping roofline that cramps the 3rd row/dog space quite a bit. Our dog hated our Q7. The MDX is similar.

Otherwise, it really comes down to whether you want the luxury appointments and the branding of Lexus. It is obviously important to a lot of people.
You do bring up a good point, so I'll bring up my other concerns too. It won't always be the 4 of us, there will be a child the next year or two. So 5 is the grand total.

In regards to the back window on the 4Runner, I completely agree with you that my boy dog is going to love that.

My wife also has a desire for a boat. The NX was totally out of the picture as it could only tow 2000lbs. However, the 4Runner increased that value to 4800lbs, which is perfectly fine for the boat size my wife is considering. Now, I also have a modded Camaro that I would like the ability to owe. The V8, while severely underpowered, has the ability to do 6800lbs, which MAY be enough to tow the Camaro on an open trailer at its limit (or tow the same boat much easier). Either way, I need the towing capacity.

I drive 45 miles round trip on backroads to work, where I found this week, can be downright terrifying when covered in snow and ice.

And the smallest gripe possible, but I'm going to state it, the 4Runner doesn't have a heated steering wheel!
Old 01-13-16, 11:53 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I love 4Runners as well, so I don't think you'll regret it either way. Another nice thing about the GX (maybe the 4Runner has it too?) is adjustable second row seats. So as your little one(s) are in car seats, you can slide the 2nd row forward and make more cargo room for the dogs and junk. As the youngin's grow, you can slide the seats back and create more leg room as needed (at the expense of cargo space).

The 4Runner V6 is a good engine, but if towing is part of your plan I think that swings the vote heavily toward the GX. The V8 gives you so much more to work with in this regard.

We actually lost the heating steering wheel when we traded the Q7 for our GX (with the base package). My wife complains almost every week in the winter.... It's a nice feature.

I went down a path like yours many years ago with my wife. At the time we were upgrading her car to support a growing family, and my wife narrowed it down to a Pilot or an MDX. Our budget gave us the option for a new Pilot, or a 1-2 year old MDX. She opted for the latter because it felt more plush and was more fun to drive, and we've been with premium brands ever since (for her anyway....I'm happy with my old iron). You've got the Lexus in your garage now, so maybe you'll be disappointed with the every man 4Runner?
Old 01-14-16, 05:05 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the 2016 Limited has a sliding rear seat. So they are equal on that footing.

The towing is subjective. The boat my wife is looking for is only 3500# dry weight with trailer. So the 4Runner is more than capable. However, I will need to install a brake controller and I don't think the 4Runner has electricals wired from the factory. But the GX doesn't either I think, so again, equal there. The GX would tow the same weight easier.

In thinking about it, for the typical useful space, most people keep the 2nd row UP, which would mean that the GX and the 4R are pretty much the same vehicle at 46ft3. Funny, just that back area, is almost the entire NX (56ft3 with 2nd row down). So mass improvement.

We did look at the MDX, and I couldn't sell myself on it and got the NX instead. I won't lie, I impulse purchased the NX as I loved the appearance and through I could "make it work". I was wrong.

The 4R Limited is about as close to a Lexus GX you're going to get, as there is only a handful of options missing in the interior. The main difference I can think of is comparing the xreas suspension to the AVS suspension of the GX.

Also, there were 2 GXs that were perfect for me, I was ready to pitch to my wife to make a road trip out to look and potentially buy one, but both (2014s, Luxury, 13k & 10k miles)sold at the dealership in the last 2 days. So back to none...

Last edited by Swacer; 01-14-16 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 04:43 PM
jmehaffey
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loss of space

Originally Posted by Swacer
I don't think that's accurate.

The 4Runner is as follows (None/2nd/3rd) - 88/46/9

It appears the GX is as follows - 64/46/11

Source is Edmunds and cars.com

Where in the world are you losing 24ft3?

loss is due to gold flat seats in the rear.
Old 10-02-20, 12:56 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Wrong thread.

Last edited by MrTorgue; 10-02-20 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 03:46 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

@MrTorgue
I’m not trying to defend the 460....
have you checked the bolts on the hood? Has your front end been repaired? I loosened mine and installed ditch lights and do not see any vibrations.

Do you have OEM glass or aftermarket on the windshield? That can drastically increase noise if someone replaced it with inferior glass
Old 10-02-20, 06:43 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
@MrTorgue
I’m not trying to defend the 460....
have you checked the bolts on the hood? Has your front end been repaired? I loosened mine and installed ditch lights and do not see any vibrations.

Do you have OEM glass or aftermarket on the windshield? That can drastically increase noise if someone replaced it with inferior glass
I posted in the wrong topic. But to answer your question it’s the original glass and no front end damage / repair.
Old 11-10-20, 12:27 PM
dunk50
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the for what it's worth department from a non contributor to most posts! I bought a 2019 Mazda CX5 about 1 years ago. It's the signature addition with all the latest bell whistles 360 camera etc etc. Really really liked it. Small manoverable and I thought quiet. Then I needed something bigger for pulling a trailer and doing some work on my sons new property. Looked real hard and did my due dilligence and decided on a GX470. Shopped around and 145 miles away found an 04 with a legit 93k on the clock. They put new brakes and rotors and a front wheel bearing on it and I got to drive and test it before detailing was done. Honestly it did not need detailing but they did change the oil etc. I have only had it about 6 weeks but new Grabber AT/X 265/70/17, new Bilstein 5100 front and back, led interior and a few other minor little things. Now the reason for this post. IN that when the wife and I go anywhere I DRIVE we take what I now affectionaly call BOB (Big Ole Boy). It is 16 years old, 93K miles and it is as quiet, tight and and good to drive as my Audi, Mazda, VW Passat etc. Driving down the street we BOTH keep saying how quiet and comfortable it is. Interior and exterior I would give it a 9 out of 10 on both. Much more comfortable than the Mazda which NOW IS HER's! I could have a few expensive repairs and not care. I'm 74 years old and this might be my last vehicle. ABSOLUTELY NO COMPLAINTS! Thanks to the forums for advice on tires, shocks etc. Now I will go back to reading all the posts from the past 16 years.
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (11-10-20)