Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Is DIY Brake Fluid Flush Possible?

Old 01-07-16, 02:52 PM
Brn2drive
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is DIY Brake Fluid Flush Possible?

I DIY most of my vehicle maintenance (oil, brakes, coolant, filters, etc.) so I figured the brake fluid wouldn't be an issue on the GX. However, while searching for the proper DIY proceduire I found a number of posts that claim some Lexus models can ONLY be flushed at the dealer with Techstream.

Is this true for the GX or will the typical DIY work (pump brake and hold down, release bleeder valve to bleed fluid, close valve release brake petal and repeat)?

One thing i noticed on the GX is that the brake pedal will not presurize the lines if you pump it with the car off. That itself tells me I may be in for a surprise if I try the DIY method...

Hoping someone has done this before I start trying methods. Thanks!!
Old 01-07-16, 04:38 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Received 373 Likes on 288 Posts

I have scanned every thread here at least once if not 2 to 3+ times. I don't recall seeing this posted for the GX 460.

Please let us know what your findings are.
Old 01-07-16, 06:01 PM
NCGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know. I'm interested of doing it as well.
Old 01-07-16, 08:12 PM
closenough
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, It's possible. I did it once on my 2011 GX after I replaced the rotors and pads. There may be an old thread by Koz on the topic. The fronts are bled traditionally by pumping the brake pedal. The rears require the ABS pump to move the fluid (power on, hold the brake pedal.)
Old 01-08-16, 10:06 AM
Brn2drive
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by closenough View Post
Yes, It's possible. I did it once on my 2011 GX after I replaced the rotors and pads. There may be an old thread by Koz on the topic. The fronts are bled traditionally by pumping the brake pedal. The rears require the ABS pump to move the fluid (power on, hold the brake pedal.)
Thanks! I will give this a try. I did not find the post by Koz but i'll keep looking.
Old 01-08-16, 10:43 AM
NewB2Lexus
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you also have to turn on power when you are using a pressure of vacuum bleeder?

Also in some cars they specifically tell you not to over-press the pedal when bleeding since it may damage the seal in the master cylinder, not sure about the GX, don't know enough about it; yet :-)!

Post your experience, mine is not due yet but still interested.
Old 11-14-18, 07:49 AM
binhster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the pressure bleeder method last night on all 4 corners without issue at 10 psi. I did not have to start the vehicle up or do anything special to get the brake fluid to bleed out of the rear calipers. I used a turkey baster initially to remove about half of the old brake fluid out of the reservoir prior to using the pressure bleeder.

I'm assuming if I had done the conventional 2-man bleeder or speed bleeders, I would have needed to start the engine up to perform the bleed on the rear calipers.

Video of fluid coming out of rear caliper using pressure bleeder:

The following 3 users liked this post by binhster:
Acrad35751 (11-14-18), ltsr (11-14-18), psun786 (11-15-18)
Old 11-14-18, 02:00 PM
ltsr
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by binhster View Post
I did the pressure bleeder method last night on all 4 corners without issue at 10 psi. I did not have to start the vehicle up or do anything special to get the brake fluid to bleed out of the rear calipers. I used a turkey baster initially to remove about half of the old brake fluid out of the reservoir prior to using the pressure bleeder.

I'm assuming if I had done the conventional 2-man bleeder or speed bleeders, I would have needed to start the engine up to perform the bleed on the rear calipers.

Video of fluid coming out of rear caliper using pressure bleeder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk61PXAj3MI&authuser=0
did you bleed in a particular order? like passenger rear first (typically, bleeding from the farthest caliper from the brake master cylinder goes first). Your fluid looks clean, were you doing basic maintenance or troubleshooting something?
Old 11-14-18, 02:41 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Received 951 Likes on 711 Posts

Good info. I have one of those Motive bleeders too. I just bought last month to do my G35x..... I may need to pickup a new master cylinder adapter to get it to work with the GX.

I added link to this on the Wiki.

Last edited by Acrad35751; 11-15-18 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
binhster (11-16-18)
Old 11-14-18, 07:20 PM
Romanova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts

I like the Harbor Freight brake bleeder than you hook up to an air compressor. I use it to clear the reservoir first, then bleed all four corners. A great, cost effective option provided you have an air compressor.
Old 11-15-18, 07:34 AM
binhster
Rookie

Originally Posted by ltsr View Post
did you bleed in a particular order? like passenger rear first (typically, bleeding from the farthest caliper from the brake master cylinder goes first). Your fluid looks clean, were you doing basic maintenance or troubleshooting something?
Actually, I just started with the Passenger Front, but that was only because I knew the front calipers could be bled the traditional method. I was also trying to purge out the dirty fluid at the bottom of my reservoir that had just been topped off and mixed with fresh fluid. Once I was sure all the old fluid was gone, I moved onto the Passenger Rear, Driver Rear, and Driver Front in that order. After completing each wheel, I removed the pressure bleeder and topped off the reservoir with fresh fluid just over the Max line. Then I attached the pressure bleeder and pumped to 10psi. Following this, I would cracked the respective bleeder open 1/4 turn with silicone hose attached and let the fluid run out until the reservoir hit the Min line before re-tightening the bleeder screw.

Note: I do not have any brake fluid in my pressure bleeder. That method is too messy for my preference.

When I started the vehicle up after bleeding, the pedal did sink close to the floor on the first press only before going back to normal. I have a feeling the pressure bleeder method does not purge the old fluid remaining in the ABS pump which will probably happen automatically next time I engage ABS. This was the case in my previous Acura TL at least.

I didn't know there was a Wiki for the GX. Thanks for the heads up. I also own an eBay TechStream. Had I known there were instructions written for the Techstream Bleed Method, I probably would have tried that instead as it appears you don't even have to open any bleeders on the front calipers? Or is this just a method for purging air out of system?

Last edited by binhster; 11-16-18 at 07:48 AM.
ltsr (11-15-18)
Old 11-15-18, 12:43 PM
NewB2Lexus
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What adapter did you use? Did you make it yourself or got a specific one. I have Motive brake bleeder an MB and a generic adapter, not sure if those work or not. A brake flush is getting due on our GX too.
Old 11-16-18, 06:28 AM
binhster
Rookie

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus View Post
What adapter did you use? Did you make it yourself or got a specific one. I have Motive brake bleeder an MB and a generic adapter, not sure if those work or not. A brake flush is getting due on our GX too.
Mine was made years ago out of a PVC Cap tapped in the middle with a brass air nozzle fitting. Then I used a rubber pipe coupler with some metal hose clamps to secure each end. One clamp on the PVC fitting and the other to the reservoir.

Last edited by binhster; 11-17-18 at 12:09 PM.
NewB2Lexus (11-16-18)
Old 11-16-18, 02:33 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Wow... I used the Motive on another vehicle yesterday.. my '07 G35x with around 96K miles that I bought new. Never changed... fluid was a little discolored but didn't see anything major. Regardless it was needed a long time ago and this Motive product totally rocks. It is so easy to use. I did put fluid in Motive container and will need to clean up with denatured alcohol but this is an easy service item for anyone. I'm gonna pick up the appropriate adapters for my other cars. Adapter fit perfectly on my G like it was a stock cap.
Old 11-17-18, 06:38 AM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

binhster: I notice you had to take part of the trim off behind the master cylinder to get the adapter on there.

Motive says the following about Toyota/Lexus:

"Toyota and Lexus- The majority of Toyotas and Lexus models use a reservoir cap that is a push to seal cap. It doesn't screw on or twist to lock. Some Toyotas and Lexus use a cap that has two locking tabs that engage inside the reservoir neck. Both of these types of caps will need to use the Universal Round kit 0101 with adapter 1101 or the metal version the 0119 which comes with the 1119 adapter. Note - if the reservoir is under the cowl the 1101 or 1119 will not work. Also some Toyota and Lexus use an integrated master cylinder abs unit where the ABS unit is either directly below the master cylinder or attached to the side. We do not have a kit that works with those vehicles."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is DIY Brake Fluid Flush Possible?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: