Should I be taking the plunge with new GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 02:59 PM
barbking
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be taking the plunge with new GX 460

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, seeking some answers to my thoughts on taking the plunge with the purchase of a new 2016 GX 460. I have been on the market for an SUV / Crossover with 3rd row capacity for last couple of months now. I have looked at all possible options and has nearly decided on the GX 460.

My local dealer has located the exact vehicle I am interested in, GX 460 Premium, White. I am nervous about making the decision now time has come for putting the money down and driving home with the SUV.

I am thinking whether I should wait for the new Audi Q7 that is coming out in January 2016. I saw reviews that shows it is vastly improved, is a lot leaner, looks modern, and handles better than the GX. Pricing is likely to be slighly higher with comparable options. Inventory is likely to be on the lower side initially and there may not be much room for negotiation for the first year. I can wait for a few months. But not sure whether it is worth waiting, or take the plunge with Lexus. I do not intend to do any off roading with the GX, it's going to be mainly city / suburban with occational gravel road riding.
Old 10-25-15, 03:59 PM
lulugirl89
Driver School Candidate

If you're in no rush, you may as well wait. But Audi reliability does not come in as high as Lexus....What are you currently driving?
Old 10-25-15, 05:33 PM
westtx28
10th Gear

I do not intend to do any off roading with the GX, it's going to be mainly city / suburban with occational gravel road riding.
If that's the case I'd wait and check out the Audi as well. I wanted a rugged BOF truck so the GX was a no-brainer. Your situation is different.
Old 10-25-15, 05:33 PM
barbking
Driver School Candidate

I am currently driving a 2010 Honda CR-V, it has 65K miles on it, we need a 3rd row seat and prefer it to be something that is nice. I could wait since we are in no great rush. Reliability is something that is of great importance to me however. I am just not sure how much I will spend in maintenance with the Audi compared to the Lexus over long term. I intend to keep it for at least 10 years. Build quality changes over time, so it is hard to tell how Audi will hold up. I used to own a BMW in the past and it had horrible issues and finally I had to get rid of it at a deep discount. I ended up with the CR-V at that point to recoup some of the money. Audi I hear is better than BMW in this regard, or did I get it wrong? What about the GX reliability and maintenance over the long haul?
Old 10-25-15, 06:08 PM
westtx28
10th Gear

I intend to keep it for at least 10 years
And back over to GX. If that's the case go Japanese over German. I currently have and drive 2 Toyotas that are over 10 years old and an '06 Land Cruiser that has a whole lot of life left in it. I refuse to get rid of them. I certainly expect the GX to live up to the others in terms of reliability.
Old 10-26-15, 07:00 AM
M1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barbking
Hello Everyone,

I am new here, seeking some answers to my thoughts on taking the plunge with the purchase of a new 2016 GX 460. I have been on the market for an SUV / Crossover with 3rd row capacity for last couple of months now. I have looked at all possible options and has nearly decided on the GX 460.

My local dealer has located the exact vehicle I am interested in, GX 460 Premium, White. I am nervous about making the decision now time has come for putting the money down and driving home with the SUV.

I am thinking whether I should wait for the new Audi Q7 that is coming out in January 2016. I saw reviews that shows it is vastly improved, is a lot leaner, looks modern, and handles better than the GX. Pricing is likely to be slighly higher with comparable options. Inventory is likely to be on the lower side initially and there may not be much room for negotiation for the first year. I can wait for a few months. But not sure whether it is worth waiting, or take the plunge with Lexus. I do not intend to do any off roading with the GX, it's going to be mainly city / suburban with occational gravel road riding.
If you don't intend to do offroad driving, then I would skip the GX. The GX is a body-on-frame, solid-rear-axle truck. As a result, it is quite heavy and tall. The third row is poor in terms of space and access.

If you aren't going to go offroad or tow, then a three-row crossover will likely drive better, have more room, handle better, and get better fuel economy.
Old 10-26-15, 07:20 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you dont need offroad rugged bof, dont buy gx.

If your looking at a audi, why not check out bmw x5, x6, volvo xc90, porsche cayenne, macan, acura mdx? lots to consider.
Old 10-26-15, 07:45 AM
M1911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
If your looking at a audi, why not check out bmw x5, x6, volvo xc90, porsche cayenne, macan, acura mdx? lots to consider.
The XC90 looks gorgeous. I'm a bit worried about the reliability, though, after looking at some of the complaints on XC90 forums.
Old 10-26-15, 07:59 AM
barbking
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
if you dont need offroad rugged bof, dont buy gx.

Part of the appeal is the ruggedness, although I do not do off road or towing, but you never know since I like the idea of that comfort feeling knowing that I have a rugged reliable vehicle that can get me in and out of most road conditions and situations if ever there is a need.

As for those other crossovers, most of them have cramped 3rd row similar to GX, and German reliability concerns me. I did not like the styling of MDX or Infinity QX. My other option is to trade in my wife's Toyota Prius and get a Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum, and then let her drive the Honda. Although Highlander is not as refined as the Lexus. The Limited Platinum Hybrid is very close though.
Old 10-26-15, 08:02 AM
barbking
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by M1911
The XC90 looks gorgeous. I'm a bit worried about the reliability, though, after looking at some of the complaints on XC90 forums.
Ditto. Plus, the Volvo folks in my area is not too keen on selling. We were at the dealdership, on a Saturday morning, and we were told the Sales people are all in a meeting and we have to wait until one of them gets free. Upon insisting that we only have a limited window and called in to have an appointment, we were told sorry this is all we can do they are all in a meeting. On a Saturday morning, go figure We told them we are leaving and they weren't too bothered.
Old 10-26-15, 08:15 AM
M1911
Driver School Candidate

Part of the appeal is the ruggedness, although I do not do off road or towing, but you never know since I like the idea of that comfort feeling knowing that I have a rugged reliable vehicle that can get me in and out of most road conditions and situations if ever there is a need.

As for those other crossovers, most of them have cramped 3rd row similar to GX, and German reliability concerns me. I did not like the styling of MDX or Infinity QX. My other option is to trade in my wife's Toyota Prius and get a Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum, and then let her drive the Honda. Although Highlander is not as refined as the Lexus. The Limited Platinum Hybrid is very close though.
I think a Platinum Highlander would be a good choice.

The GX certainly is a rugged SUV, but that comes at a price. It is heavy. Fuel economy is poor. Interior room is poor (only 60 cu ft behind the first row). Handling and braking are poor compared to a car-based crossover.
Old 10-26-15, 08:16 AM
M1911
Driver School Candidate

Ditto. Plus, the Volvo folks in my area is not too keen on selling. We were at the dealdership, on a Saturday morning, and we were told the Sales people are all in a meeting and we have to wait until one of them gets free. Upon insisting that we only have a limited window and called in to have an appointment, we were told sorry this is all we can do they are all in a meeting. On a Saturday morning, go figure We told them we are leaving and they weren't too bothered.
That's odd.

It is my impression that the XC90s are currently selling at MSRP. They are in short supply and have high demand.
Old 10-26-15, 08:27 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, as others have said the 3rd row in the GX is for show, don't expect to be using it with regularity.

Also, Volvos look horrible. Stay away from that. Good grief.
Old 10-26-15, 09:14 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the highlander premium.
especially if the 3rd row is a priority vs the 4WD capability.
fuel economy, highlander beats the GX460

i was going back and forth with the GX460 and LX570 a few months back.
and i will definitely choose the LX570/Land Cruiser if your budget will allow you to do so.

i like the GX 470 ride and seats ( emphasis on the seat) more than the GX 460 to be honest with you.
the Exterior, i like the 460 by far.
Old 10-26-15, 10:07 AM
mkeeney
Rookie

Originally Posted by westtx28
And back over to GX. If that's the case go Japanese over German. I currently have and drive 2 Toyotas that are over 10 years old and an '06 Land Cruiser that has a whole lot of life left in it. I refuse to get rid of them. I certainly expect the GX to live up to the others in terms of reliability.
This. The German SUV's are great during their warranty period. If you're keeping it that long, you want Lexus.

Quick Reply: Should I be taking the plunge with new GX 460