GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cup holder questions, comments, problems, mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 11:52 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Front Cup holder upgrade?

I really hate the spring-loaded center piece that likes to pull out and rattle. Has anyone found a fix for this? I was thinking of lining the bottom with some sort of rubber mat.
Old 10-24-11, 05:28 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the rubber mat idea sounds solid. Do it and post some pics! We all hate that damn rattle!
Old 03-08-13, 08:08 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Default Front Cup Holders

The dual front cup holder with its hard plastic and cheap spring-loaded clip-thing fails to secure anything and is noisy, bugs me to no end. Anyone found a solution to this issue? Or, is it just me?

Old 03-08-13, 08:23 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've noticed that they are too big for anything but a Big Gulp but I havent noticed any noises. I hate the look of it open so I usually use the door cup holder if I have something to drink with me, 99% it's closed. I haven't heard any noises out of it though.
Old 03-08-13, 11:53 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think that cup holder is removeable (slides up and out). You can also get an aftermarket cup holder insert to maybe make it hold smaller cups.

Koz
Old 03-10-13, 07:17 AM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Mine doesnt rattle or make noise but I know that middle divider is removable maybe have them replace it for you
Old 03-11-13, 10:38 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW - I have not had any problems with cups fitting or noise.

Koz
Old 03-11-13, 04:33 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I use mine all the time and don't have any noise coming from the cup holder. I take a bottle or water with me and don't have any noise...
Old 11-11-14, 07:00 PM
Mincer
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 front console cup holder issues

We just purchased our first Lexus, a certified pre-owned '13 GX 460 with 17k miles. Before leaving the lot, we noticed that the cup holder in the front console seemed to be missing a part (one of the little spring loaded "levers" that holds your cup in place). We were told that it was normal and the dealer showed us that the other 2 '12 GX 460s of the lot looked exactly the same. Personally, I think that all 3 cup holders were actually broken in the same place... Which screamed "manufacturer defect."
Is it just me, or are the front cup holders too shallow and flimsy to securely hold tall, 20oz thermal coffee mugs? I'm really perplexed as to why Lexus went with hard plastic moving parts with a delicate spring loaded mechanism where rubber flaps usually do the trick.

Anyone else have problems with their front seat cup holder?

I found a replacement center divider on a website for $32 that can replace the broken one I have, but I think the issue that the design just sucks. Anyone else have any alternatives or a DIY solution? My first impulse was to line the inside surfaces of the cup holder with some 1/4" thick strips of neoprene rubber. I've seen pictures of the 2014 and 2015.... It looks like they changed the design to exactly what I need... Anybody try putting the 2014 cupholder into the 2013 console?
Thoughts?

Last edited by Mincer; 11-11-14 at 07:06 PM. Reason: New info
Old 11-12-14, 04:04 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2014 and wish the cup holders were deeper, I think this is the real problem. Even the hot mug I got from Lexus can tip over when full. My wife's 2013 Prius V has nice deep cup holders her Tervis mug fits perfectly in her car unlike mine
Old 11-12-14, 05:11 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I have a broken lever also
Is the replacement that you found online OEM?
Old 11-12-14, 07:19 AM
Mincer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
I have a broken lever also
Is the replacement that you found online OEM?
Yes, the replacement is an OEM "Center Cup Holder Divider" with "cup stabilizers" that I located on Sewell's website.
link: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/6968.html
In addition to being broken, I feel like the center cup holder divider in our console comes out with hardly any effort.

Although there haven't been any spills yet, the flimsy and shallow assembly inspires zero confidence. I can just imagine bumping one of the mugs while reaching across the console and having both full 20oz coffees and the center divider popping out. While I'm sure the all-weather mats and my pants can be washed, I'd hate to have any liquid inside the console and the gear shifter where I can't clean it up.
Unfortunately, I have experience with this sort of thing...I dropped a container of chicken nugget dipping sauce right on my seat belt release (it landed on top of it, upside down like a hat with ranch dressing filling the mechanism) in my brand new Volvo XC60. 3 weeks later I got a service message on my dashboard. The entire driver side seat belt system was replaced (under warranty) because of a mysterious "sensor fail."

Last edited by Mincer; 11-12-14 at 07:22 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-12-14, 04:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mincer
I've seen pictures of the 2014 and 2015.... It looks like they changed the design to exactly what I need... Anybody try putting the 2014 cupholder into the 2013 console?
Thoughts?
I wasn't aware that they changed the cupholders, please share the pictures you have (any other owners of the 2014-15). I have tilted drinks with some slight spills, but your concern with the centerpiece popping out easily has not been an issue for me.
I do eat on the run quite often and don't order the large cup with the skinny base due to this problem.
Old 11-12-14, 06:36 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a picture of the cupholder in my 2014 GX. Let me know if this is too dark. I can take another picture tomorrow when it is light out.
Attached Thumbnails Cup holder questions, comments, problems, mods-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 11-13-14, 05:46 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Is it removable and looks like this?
Attached Thumbnails Cup holder questions, comments, problems, mods-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cup holder questions, comments, problems, mods