Buying a used 2011 GX 460 - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 11:27 AM
rhf123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used 2011 GX 460 - some questions

Hello all -

I'm interested in buying a used 2011 GX 460 that has about 40K miles.

This car has had one owner and has a clean Car Fax. Some questions for you?

1) What are some things I should consider / evaluate when checking out this car? Are there common issues or things that the average buyer isn't aware of as it pertains to this vehicle?

2) Do you suggest I purchase an extended warranty? I've had one person I trust who works on Lexus vehicles tell me that it's not his favorite car and almost tried to talk me out of it. The car offers so many of the things I desire in a car so I have decided to ignore his advice.

3) Any other words of wisdom? Looking forward!

Last edited by rhf123; 09-14-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-14-15, 05:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

40k miles on a 2011 is great. Forget about the extended warrenty. What trim line is it and what is the price? Any add on options? Do you tow anything heavy?

The only thing to really be concerned with here is the truck level issue. Look back on the threads posted and you will see this problem.
Old 09-14-15, 05:34 PM
rhf123
Driver School Candidate

Hey there -

It is priced at $35k. It is the "premium package." May haul a boat occasionally.
Old 09-15-15, 05:23 AM
bodagetta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
40k miles on a 2011 is great. Forget about the extended warrenty. What trim line is it and what is the price? Any add on options? Do you tow anything heavy?

The only thing to really be concerned with here is the truck level issue. Look back on the threads posted and you will see this problem.
Don't recall exactly who it was that mentioned this on another thread (not trying to take credit for someone else's advice) and it definitely wouldn't be a big enough deal to pass up on one if you've already picked it out, but I recall someone suggesting that it may be best to look for one without a trailer hitch already installed when buying used (even if you plan to tow yourself) because that way you can be almost certain it was never strained towing heavy loads. Again, not critical, but just food for thought.

Other than that, the leveling issue mentioned above would be the biggest thing and I also agree with passing on the extended warranty. There's no guarantee nothing will ever go wrong, but if I were a gambling man (which I am) I certainly would feel safer with my money behind a GX as far as the risk of major problems versus just about any other vehicle -- stuff does go wrong but on these trucks the major problems really do seem to be few and far between. We know a guy with almost 300k on one who has never done anything but routine maintenance on his and it's still running like a champ.
Old 09-15-15, 01:48 PM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you inspect the GX, make sure it actually is the "premium" model. A lot of non-Lexus dealers/private sellers will list them as having the premium package or being fully loaded without actually confirming that it is the premium model or that it has every factory option available.

From the exterior, easy way to check if the 2011 GX is highly likely to be a premium model is if it has all of the following: (1) chrome trim along the bottom edge of the windows all the way up through the back edge of the third row windows, (2) if it has body side molding since those weren't standard on the base model in 2011, (3) the rear suspension has rubber air bags (rear air suspension), (4) right below the front headlights you see small rectangle trim pieces (roughly 1" x 2") indicating it has headlight washers.

From the interior, I would look at the center controls just in front of the armrest and to the right of the shifter. You should see 4 toggle switches if it is the premium model, otherwise only 2 rear toggle switches. Also, when you open the driver or passenger door, the door sill/step plate should be illuminated.

If you have the VIN, you can also call a Lexus dealership and kindly request a copy of the vehicles build sheet which would tell you if the GX is a premium model and if it has any additional packages (Mark Levinson audio and Nav, sonar parking sensors, remote start...).

Last edited by mistabuyer; 09-15-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 05:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by mistabuyer
While you inspect the GX, make sure it actually is the "premium" model. A lot of non-Lexus dealers/private sellers will list them as having the premium package or being fully loaded without actually confirming that it is the premium model or that it has every factory option available.

From the exterior, easy way to check if the 2011 GX is highly likely to be a premium model is if it has all of the following: (1) chrome trim along the bottom edge of the windows all the way up through the back edge of the third row windows, (2) if it has body side molding since those weren't standard on the base model in 2011, (3) the rear suspension has rubber air bags (rear air suspension), (4) right below the front headlights you see small rectangle trim pieces (roughly 1" x 2") indicating it has headlight washers.

From the interior, I would look at the center controls just in front of the armrest and to the right of the shifter. You should see 4 toggle switches if it is the premium model, otherwise only 2 rear toggle switches. Also, when you open the driver or passenger door, the door sill/step plate should be illuminated.

If you have the VIN, you can also call a Lexus dealership and kindly request a copy of the vehicles build sheet which would tell you if the GX is a premium model and if it has any additional packages (Mark Levinson audio and Nav, sonar parking sensors, remote start...).
Ahh...that sweet little piece of chrome
Funny how that is the first thing I look for when I see a GX.