GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lexus Pick-up Truck? Anyone Interested in This?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 05:17 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts
Default Lexus Pick-up Truck? Anyone Interested in This?

Tacoma with a LX grille

The Lexus LX is living, driving proof that the marque knows how to make a bomb-proof SUV. So why couldn’t they make a bomber truck? A bomber, luxury truck!

Remember when Toyota first tried to enter the American truck market? Some pretty mean stuff was said by some very short-sighted people. But that didn’t stop Toyota from proving everyone wrong.

So what’s to stop Toyota’s sibling company from doing the same thing?

In case you’ve never thought of such a concept, the guys over at CarScoops have. And they’re calling it the Lexus LXT. As you can see in the rendering above, they’ve melded a Toyota Tacoma body with the front fascia of the Lexus LX. And it looks… kinda cool?

But don’t get caught up on aesthetics just yet. CarScoops went to all the trouble of creating the render to illustrate the point that Lexus could be a big-time player in the full-size luxury pick-up U.S. market.

“I think that those very same people who purchase a top spec Tundra, Silverado, F-150 and so on, would be the same people who would appreciate a luxury pick-up. Imagine a genuinely premium interior in a pick-up truck for the first time, wouldn’t that be something?”

So, what do you think, do they have a point?
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/i...n-waiting-for/
Old 09-04-15, 05:53 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus P/U Truck

To have a full size P/U with any power it would have to be built on the LX570 chassis with the large engine. Optioned out you would be looking at about $100,000. The optioned out Escalade is ~ $95,000 and it is just built on a suburban chassis. I do not believe there would be a big enough market in the world to justify that expense. It would have to be a crew cab and have four wheel drive. I have owned four different Lexus vehicles and I for one would not be the least bit interested. I would do what I am presently doing and own a LS460 and a GX460. For a pickup I would go with the Tundra crew cab with the Platinum Package for a little over $60,000. I am sure there are a few people out there who would buy it, but I doubt anyone would throw lumber, mowers, propane tanks, etc in the rear as that would create some scratches. Then that would decrease the resale value tremendously.
Old 09-04-15, 07:56 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never owed a pickup truck, but every time I venture out of the city, I always see the beauty of these class of vehicles. Back in the days, they used to be work trucks only, but ever since the intro of quad cabs and now crew cabs, automakers have also been adding creature comfort and upping the level every new generation to the point where it's on par with some mid to upper level luxury cars.

With that said, I find myself viewing a lot of YouTube videos recently on the Ram 1500 and the 2500 Laramie Longhorn with the Cummings Turbo Diesel. I wished FCA offered the 2500 with the 5'7" bed and Aisin transmission. Hopefully one day.

So yes, pickup trucks are great, but I wouldn't buy one from Lexus. Cadillac sort of tried with the Escalade EXT, but that did not pan out too well. Tells you something.