GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Torn in 3rd Row SUV Decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 05:58 PM
LexusLooza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn in 3rd Row SUV Decision

Hi - I am loyal lexus owner (had and ES, RX, and GSx2). I need to get a 3rd row SUV for the wife (and also will double as our family car) and was trying to compare the 2014/15 GX460 with the following:

1. Acura MDX - perfect car but they are waaay too common.
2. Land Rover LR4 - beautiful look but reliability is not something I am willing to compromise on.
3. Audi Q7 - great car that has it all but some of the options don't add up and again...reliability questions.

Any reason I should not go out can and pay a little extra for the GX? I am a little bothered about paying $55k+ for a car that is rumored to get a complete overhaul (unibody, lighter weight, etc) in 2016.
I appreciate the excellent input this forum usually provides!

Last edited by LexusLooza; 04-30-15 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-15, 07:38 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Torn SUV Decision

Think you only need to answer one statement. Should you wait in case they go unibody (Crossover) or go with body on frame (a truck). If you never go off road or never need 4 wheel drive, then your decision should be a simple one.
Old 05-01-15, 06:08 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Don't get all excited about that "third row". It's for tiny people or young children, plus it is a PITA to get back there.

It is a great vehicle though.
Old 05-01-15, 06:43 AM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my little brain, I'm thinking get the car before they go unibody. Imo a suV needs to be very capable... the GX fits the bill.
Old 05-01-15, 09:03 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by redbrick
in my little brain, I'm thinking get the car before they go unibody. Imo a suV needs to be very capable... the GX fits the bill.
to redbrick's comment...

LexusLooza: I wouldn't hold your breath about a unibody conversion in 2016.

We sold our Q7 to pick up a GX, and the cargo space in a GX is better despite the Q7 being longer. And I got sick of dropping off the Q7 at the dealer for repair work.

My wife almost picked the MDX to replace the Q7, but it's a minivan with a sportier body, and with a car-based transmission (and Honda/Acura already has issues with it's tranny reliability). The sloping roof line severely limits the 3rd row/cargo area if that's a consideration. So it had some strikes against it for our needs.

The GX does drive differently and does not have all the creature comforts if your wife's preference is a "sporty" crossover. But for my needs I preferred the stronger platform of the GX, and fortunately my wife liked it better as well.
Old 05-01-15, 04:59 PM
UPTHECREEK
Driver School Candidate

I personally bought my 2015 GX for the 6500 lb towing capacity, V-8, and 4wheel drive. Believe me if Lexus GX goes to unibody in the future the towing capacity would probably drop in half. As far as seating goes I think its a great 4 seater vehicle , I personally will never use the rear seats. If I was planning on using a GX for a family of 5 or more I'd probably be looking at a Suburban or such. Just my 2 cents.......
Old 05-02-15, 04:59 AM
LexusLooza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UPTHECREEK
I personally bought my 2015 GX for the 6500 lb towing capacity, V-8, and 4wheel drive. Believe me if Lexus GX goes to unibody in the future the towing capacity would probably drop in half. As far as seating goes I think its a great 4 seater vehicle , I personally will never use the rear seats. If I was planning on using a GX for a family of 5 or more I'd probably be looking at a Suburban or such. Just my 2 cents.......
Thanks, everyone for the timey responses.
As much I love the GX - I don't want to get it now and have a redesign make me feel outdated in 6 months. Sadly, I don't plan on towing anything beside a bike rack and haven't made reason to go off road (sounds cool but I'd find a ditch somewhere). The body-on-frame would be wasted on me.
I also heard the new Q7 debuts this Fall so the redesign/oudated issues apply there too.
Looks like I have some soul searching to do...maybe lease and LR4 and return it before the real problems start after 3 years?? ...Or see if we can wait till the Fall for the new car.
Old 05-02-15, 08:31 AM
GatorMD97
Driver School Candidate

I just traded the wife's 2012 Q7 in on a 2014 GX. My thoughts.

1. The GX is definitely smaller but not a whole lot. Adults will notice in the back but there is ample headroom.

2. The Q7 had more cargo space but some of it was unusable due to the slant of the rear roof/hatch area unless you got creative with your packing which really isn't that hard.

3. GX ride is much smoother but this is apples and oranges. The Q7 is much sportier and feels like a BMW 5 series.

4. Interior quality of GX seats much better but everything else on the interior is much nicer on the Q7. Better soft touch materials and more scratch resistant plastics.

5. Reliability of the Q7 is terrible. In the shop all the time for this, that and the other. This is the reason we traded.

Bottom line, the Q7 was the best overall SUV I have ever been in or owned. It looks better in my opinion, has great handling, the tech features were better and much more user friendly (we couldn't find a GX with drivers assist package), towed like a dream and had better gas mileage (we had the diesel). Unfortunately the reliability negated everyone of these items and we settled for the most reliable compromise. I like the GX a lot and I'm sure it will grow on me over time but if I could have the reliability and resale value of the Lexus in the Audi, I'd switch back in a second.
Old 05-02-15, 07:59 PM
LexusLooza
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=GatorMD97;9023912]I just traded the wife's 2012 Q7 in on a 2014 GX. My thoughts.
5. Reliability of the Q7 is terrible. In the shop all the time for this, that and the other. This is the reason we traded.../QUOTE]

I think I am going to take a lease deal on the LR4...my Lexus dealer was charging way to much for a car (GX) with similar MSRP.
I hope I am not making a huge mistake, but I figure I should be returning the car before any problems and well-within the warranty.