GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 Rear Fog Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 09:16 AM
cubu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Rear red bumper lights

I can see bulbs in them, but they don't seem to ever turn on? Anyone know what they are for or how to use them?
Old 03-18-14, 10:41 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They don't light up...
Old 03-18-14, 10:52 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cubu
I can see bulbs in them, but they don't seem to ever turn on? Anyone know what they are for or how to use them?
there shouldnt be any bulbs there. they are reflectors so cars behind you can see you
Old 03-18-14, 11:39 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cubu
I wonder if other countries use them as rear fog lights? I know Volvo used to have a plug in the light socket for US spec cars but the wiring was there to install the fog light bulb in the light.
Old 03-18-14, 11:45 AM
cubu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah ic, I had the wife look to see if she saw a bulb, ill check again when I get home.
Old 03-18-14, 02:59 PM
MyGX460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Those at adaptive brake lights. Only light up in hard braking situation .
Old 03-18-14, 03:12 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MyGX460
I think Those at adaptive brake lights. Only light up in hard braking situation .
bmw is the only one i know with this feature. Its not on any lexus vehicle
Old 03-18-14, 05:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

The 2010-2013 GX bumper red/white lens is the boldest setup I have seen in this trend compared to other models and looks much better on the 2014. I tried to tint the red but the tint had to much shine, I may look into painting the red (other use/reflector/what ever) to tone it down.
Old 03-18-14, 06:17 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I pulled up the part on Sewell.

I looked at it tonight and thought I saw a bulb as well, and then after further inspection and looking at the parts diagrams, I confirmed there isn't a bulb in the red portion of the lens. Its a boxed reflector for the red part as well as a flat red reflector. The only bulb is for the backup white portion of the lens.

Would be a great place to install a directional LED bulb though for a rear fog light setup. Maybe find a switch with a proper legend that fits into one of the blanks up front on the panel?

I used to have a setting like that on my MB sedans. We don't get fog down here that often, however when it does, its nice to have another trick in the bag for awareness.

Randy B
Old 01-17-15, 03:20 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Today as I was upgrading my Tail Lights I noticed that the Backup Light on the Drivers Side is half as bright as the one on the Passenger Side.

I want to look at the bulb and replace it if needed. Question is, how do iget to it ?? Anybody know ?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

~ Cap

PS Anybody have any idea why one bulb is dimmer ??
Old 01-17-15, 06:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Capirato

I want to look at the bulb and replace it if needed. Question is, how do iget to it ?? Anybody know ?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I removed my third row seat so I was expecting to have a visual on the reverse light.

I couldn't see it so I was determined to find out how to get to it.

Remove the lower plastic panel.

Reach up and unscrew the bulb counter clockwise.

Four screws, two Phillips head and two star heads.

This is what I could read on the bulb.

Stanley E4 2EK W16W 921

There is only one filament is in the bulb so not sure why yours has a low output.
Looks like it is a 16watt bulb so maybe it was replaced with a lower Wattage?

Pics of your tail lights please
Old 01-18-15, 11:25 AM
Capirato
Racer

Tecman, bless your heart for going through all that trouble. In my 2010 Owner's Manual in the Do-it-yourself maintenance section on Pages 669 & 670 it shows three steps on removing the bulb.

I will first buy a new bulb, replace the old dimmer one and hope that it is the same brilliance as it's counterpart. If not, I will then remove the brighter bulb and check the wattage. If the listed wattage is the same, I will then swap the bulbs to see if I get the same results. If the results are the same I will then take it to the dealer to fix it under the warrantee.

What bothers me a little bit, is that when a person takes their car in for regular maintenance, the dealer is supposed to check everything including the lights.

~ Cap
Old 01-18-15, 04:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Capirato,
I already had the third row seat removed so I was curious when I couldn't see the bulb assembly. I am also curious as to what the problem is with your lights. Please let us know what you find.
________________________________________________________________________________

I do see a hole in the outer plastic for the reflector but I can feel the main housing does not have an opening for a bulb.

Old 01-20-15, 10:18 AM
Capirato
Racer

Started to do what I said I was going to do, but realized it was just too much getting down and up for this old man. So I decided to take the car to the Dealer. They found that a wire on the bulb or socket had pulled away. For good measure they replaced the bulb and all is well.

~ Cap
Old 02-11-15, 11:52 AM
Norman53
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone replaced rear B/U light with LED? If so what size is the bulb and where did you purchase? The bulb looks like it has a base bigger than a 194 bulb

Thx

Quick Reply: GX460 Rear Fog Light