GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

removing or replacing GX Runningboards

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 07:28 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default removing or replacing GX Runningboards

I am one of the few who take their GX off-road, and I am often on some pretty serious 4WD roads and trails. (I know, I should have bought a 4Runner, but I wanted the best of both worlds -Off Road capabilities and a luxury ride )

I'm thinking about taking my Running boards off and either having nothing in their place, or putting nerf bars in their place. Does anyone know if nerf bars designed for a 4Runner will fit on a 2012 GX?

I am open to all suggestions, and if anyone has pictures, I would greatly appreciate seeing the pictures.

I have also 'lightly' considered a small (2") lift to my GX. I understand that the Ride Control, and height leveler pose some serious considerations and restrictions to lifting a GX. Has anyone attempted a lift on a Premium series GX? If so, I'd like to hear from you.
Thanks,
Kent, in Colorado
Old 03-09-15, 06:40 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

This can totally be done. The GXis very similar to the 4runner so you can use many of their parts. Here is a link to a guy on ih8mud that has done exactly that.
Old 12-11-18, 10:49 AM
jmfv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
I am one of the few who take their GX off-road, and I am often on some pretty serious 4WD roads and trails. (I know, I should have bought a 4Runner, but I wanted the best of both worlds -Off Road capabilities and a luxury ride )

I'm thinking about taking my Running boards off and either having nothing in their place, or putting nerf bars in their place. Does anyone know if nerf bars designed for a 4Runner will fit on a 2012 GX?

I am open to all suggestions, and if anyone has pictures, I would greatly appreciate seeing the pictures.

I have also 'lightly' considered a small (2") lift to my GX. I understand that the Ride Control, and height leveler pose some serious considerations and restrictions to lifting a GX. Has anyone attempted a lift on a Premium series GX? If so, I'd like to hear from you.
Thanks,
Kent, in Colorado
Hi kroorda,

I was wondering if you ever tried to install 4runner running boards or any other that would fit the GX460?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-11-18, 11:13 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda

Thanks,
Kent, in Colorado
If you are considering Nerf Bars with Steps on them for off road purposes, you will mostly likely ruin them and damage your car. Look online for a set of "GX460 sliders." Going off road in a GX is fairly common these days, so there is lots of aftermarket support coming out.
The following users liked this post:
KJ6IRM (12-11-18)