GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 07:29 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
First world problems... the leather recliner in my $60+K, V8, luxury SUV is too "uncomfortable" . I'm gonna go and grab a box of Kleenex now!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, but seriously?
I’m not offended, (hell, I didn’t even post in this thread), but suggesting that folks have no business discussing the comfort or discomfort of the seats in their new car/truck is a little odd...

This is a Lexus forum. We discuss Lexuses. Good or bad.

I guess because the trucks are pricey to some (but not all), or have 8 cylinders, we shouldn’t mention any of its deficiencies?

Enjoy the Kleenex.
The following users liked this post:
tecman (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 04:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

First world problems... the leather recliner in my $60+K, V8, luxury SUV is too "uncomfortable" . I'm gonna go and grab a box of Kleenex now!

We are here to discuss our experiences with the GX along with giving and receiving advice. While you may think this topic is trivial, this is why we are on a car forum. We want the best from our car (insert any make/model) regardless of the vehicle cost.
User21c (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 05:13 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to share my experience, I drove from NY to Outer banks just 2 months ago on my GX with the family, 10 hours each way, we made very few stops. The wife and the kids slept like babies both way (We did not use the 3rd row), and this has to be by far the most comfortable seats I have been in, I have no complains and have not experienced any of the shortcomings some of you have expressed.
Old 10-29-17, 12:52 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

We took several 16-20 hours trips with the GX stopping only for food and gas, we have never had any issue with the seats being uncomfortable. While this our first Lexus this is not the first SUV we owned in its category.

I have never said that the comfortableness should not be discussed here but stating that the GX is not driveable because of its seats is nothing less but over-dramatization.
516IS (10-29-17)
Old 10-30-17, 11:38 AM
LionZoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of us have back issues. The GX lumbar, before I learned to massage it, made the seats the most uncomfortable car seats I've ever sat in; to the point where my lower back would start hurting after more than an hour in the seat. Considering I bought my GX for long distance overlanding trips, that is an issue. It also meant that the GX seat, to me, was less comfortable than the seats in two different generations of Mazda 3, a 2016 Subaru Forester, a 2001 Subaru Impreza, and even a 2000 Mazda Miata (which are, frankly, terrible), all cars that I had previously owned. If the road trip comfort of seats in economy cars is worse than that of the seats in a $60k luxury SUV, that is worth discussing.

Luckily, after learning to massage the lumbar, the GX seat is now much more comfortable.
Old 01-29-18, 04:23 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, I’m digging up this old thread because I’ve had my truck (18 premium) for a month now and noticed the same lumbar issue as others have mentioned. Besides massaging the seat, has anyone else come up with a solution to this?
Old 01-29-18, 05:53 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
Yes, I’m digging up this old thread because I’ve had my truck (18 premium) for a month now and noticed the same lumbar issue as others have mentioned. Besides massaging the seat, has anyone else come up with a solution to this?
Sorry to hear this TheHighLow.... This is unfortunately a problem that many can relate to and many don't get it.

What is the fix for the uncomfortable GX owners here? There seems to be no obvious fix posted here. Since you have a 2018 that is well under warranty I would suggest trying again (others attempted) with the dealer to see if this is now on record with so many complaints..

Good luck

Last edited by tecman; 01-29-18 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 05:39 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

What I noticed that the GX seats are less firm than some other models' seats and lets your body slump in a bit more. This may cause uncomfortable positions for some. We've just done a 1.7k round trip over the winter break and my kids love to travel with the GX. It is higher than our other vehicles and they say they feel like they are floating. They also love that it is very quiet inside.
Old 01-30-18, 09:37 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Since this appears to be an issue with the lumbar plate, I will take the back cover off the seat and have a look at the lumbar mechanism. I've searched the internet and there are a handful of fixes for various other makes.
Old 02-01-18, 11:54 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to know that Lexus has not addressed this issue yet.
I started this post.
Talked to local Lexus dealer about this and they could not do anything about it.
A temporary fix is to stuck a very small pillow/cushion below the lumbar so that the lumbar is not protruding as much.
After about 15k miles of driving, the driver seat lumbar will soften and blend into the curve. And the seat becomes comfortable.
Good luck

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
Old 02-01-18, 12:24 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texas008
Sorry to know that Lexus has not addressed this issue yet.
I started this post.
Talked to local Lexus dealer about this and they could not do anything about it.
A temporary fix is to stuck a very small pillow/cushion below the lumbar so that the lumbar is not protruding as much.
After about 15k miles of driving, the driver seat lumbar will soften and blend into the curve. And the seat becomes comfortable.
Good luck
So you’re saying that things improved over time?
Old 02-02-18, 04:10 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

yes, kind of break-in period. the lumbar softens over time.
Old 02-05-18, 12:57 AM
skidder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thermarest Lumbar Pillow

We traded the 14’ GX for a 17’ RX450h with the luxury pkg last year. The RX has 4 way lumbar with thigh extensions and that works better for us.

We never got past break in w/ less than 10k miles at 4 years old. But, what really worked for us is a pillow called the ThermaRest Lumbar Cushion. That made the seat much better. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-18, 01:15 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess what, the seat issue made me not to consider any Toyota product any more .. It's
the worst car seat ever ....
Old 04-10-18, 02:10 PM
mblakemd43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded in a 2014 Buick LaCrosse Premium and sold my 2012 Ford F-150 Platnium to move to a 2014 Lexus certified GX 460 last week. Today I logged my first 180 miles to and from my work office. Within 1 hour of being in the vehicle my back was aching. No adjustments seem to help! Even an additional wedge seat cushion didn’t help. The drivers seat comfort is terrible and I’m seriously regretting my purchase. I drive a lot so this is going to be a huge issue for me. Did you ever figure anything out as far as augmenting seat comfort in your GX??

Originally Posted by texas008
bought my 2014 GX460 5 month ago.
but still feel that the driver's seat is not comfortable.
it is the lumbar support.
even when the lumbar support is fully retracted, there is still some kind of a bump around it, sticking out to my lower back. and my back aches after a while.

its hard to believe that my 2007 Camry's seat is more comfortable than the GX 460.
I went back to the dealer and tested the seat of other GX 460, maybe the seat of my GX is stiffer than the others. Will take it to the service department to see if there is anything they can do to adjust it.

I did a search on the internet, but could not find any similar complaints. Any comments? Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options