GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

First Project BMW OEM Led fogs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 12:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by neelnaik
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but the retrofit source makes LED projector fogs that are plug and play for our cars now. I thought I would update this thread in case anyone was looking for LED fogs.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/as...to-xb-led.html

Ok... you sold me... looking at their videos that is some high quality stuff. I'm gonna order a set for mine. 10 year warranty too.
Old 07-15-17, 03:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

EDIT: Vendor says if purchased directly from them they will honor 10 year warranty.

While bulbs look high quality I've reached out to vendor to find out if warranty is 18 months or 10 years as per two links.

[10 Years]
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...b-led-LF-LEXUS

[18 months]
http://www.morimotohid.com/lexus-morimoto-xb-led.html

Last edited by Acrad; 04-26-21 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 07:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but the retrofit source makes LED projector fogs that are plug and play for our cars now. I thought I would update this thread in case anyone was looking for LED fogs.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/as...to-xb-led.html
Ordered a set today... they also have a 10 year warranty.,,, guess I already posted that... :-)
Old 07-17-17, 08:45 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Ordered a set today... they also have a 10 year warranty.,,, guess I already posted that... :-)
Awesome! Can't wait to see the result and installation pics. I would love to do the same.
Old 07-18-17, 01:04 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Before and after pix, please!
Old 07-18-17, 02:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'll do my best to get some pics on here. Not sure if it will get to me before I go on vacation so install might not be for a few weeks.
Old 07-19-17, 03:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I was looking at stock fog assemblies and it looks like assembly is effectively held in by just a single screw. One one side the screw holes just slide into small pockets and the other side just has one screw. Nothing seems to be missing but that is how it is.

Old 07-22-17, 12:48 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Shipping was quick USPS Priority mail... I would have had them earlier but postman placed in my "too small" mailbox and I was unable to retrieve from my keyed side. Left a note and they placed in locked package area. Anyway... very high quality. You do have to terminate the electrical connections to the plastic connector so will need to do a quick meter test on polarity. They even cover the electrical connectors on bulbs. Nice touch. I might tackle install tomorrow. I'm gonna put up GX on my Rhino ramps... just to give me some extra space to work in.

The following users liked this post:
Romanova (07-07-18)
Old 07-22-17, 06:28 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Shipping was quick USPS Priority mail... I would have had them earlier but postman placed in my "too small" mailbox and I was unable to retrieve from my keyed side. Left a note and they placed in locked package area. Anyway... very high quality. You do have to terminate the electrical connections to the plastic connector so will need to do a quick meter test on polarity. They even cover the electrical connectors on bulbs. Nice touch. I might tackle install tomorrow. I'm gonna put up GX on my Rhino ramps... just to give me some extra space to work in.

Post the pics once u have it on I'm interested in something similar but don't wanna loose the functionality of the fog lamps.
Old 07-22-17, 08:16 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This is a pretty good video on a GMC pickup the difference between the Morimoto and just dropping a bulb in factory housing.

This should give more useable light as well.

Old 07-23-17, 08:43 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Sorry...Too hard for me to do a picture writeup on this and don't have a GoPro. It didn't take long to install though. Driver side you could probably do entirely without taking anything off through the front of tire but I had the top plastic piece off that covers the radiator area since I wanted to light up the work area. Just one screw holds it in and enough wire to pull out through the exterior fog light housing to polarity check the wires and do a test of bulb before final installation. The passenger side you really need to undue the two screws that hold the wheel plastic trim in wheel well to the front bumper and then pull it rearward. It really makes getting your hand in there easier. Far more components in this area than driver side. I used a small stubby Phillips screwdriver with a small piece of black electrical tape wrapped around it to ensure screw didn't fall off for extraction and insertion. The Morimotos come with an extra screw if you end up losing the stock one.

Now aiming them... this is the slight PIA as it uses a screw that is pointed downward and you have to adjust in a space between the the fog light and the aluminum frame of the bumper and styrofoam material. Mine were lower than the stock fogs as I could see on garage door. I guess I won't know for sure until after driving it in dark. They certainly are bright and overall a pretty easy install.

I found this worked best after lots of trial and error with tools. I think #2 phillips bit and ones of these mini 1/4 ratchet sets since the bit can go directly into the ratchet.

EDIT: With latch on top positive lead is the right terminal staring directly into it connector from the vehicle. Then just insert the wires on the fog into corresponding sides until they make a small click.
Clockwise on adjustment screw to raise beam.

Last edited by Acrad; 07-23-17 at 02:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Romanova (07-07-18)
Old 07-23-17, 10:49 AM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They look great! I love to see some output pics if you get a chance. I am glad you like them.
Old 07-23-17, 10:56 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Seems to look brighter than my HIDs... might be time to replace those D2S bulbs.
Old 07-23-17, 01:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

They look great! I love to see some output pics if you get a chance. I am glad you like them.
Thanks again for recommendation!!! I'll get some night pics on here at next opportunity.

Looks like they are made in Taiwan.

"Powered: by three Philips Luxeon-T 5000K LED's that produce around 1200 raw lumens per side. The projector based optics inside concentrate a total of 2400 lumens of pure white light into a beam that's super wide and perfectly distributed for use as a fog light. They are SAE, DOT, and ECE approved.

Well-Built: Their durable polycarbonate lens should resist the test of time, keeping the housings looking new. The powder-coated cast aluminum housing is light-weight and much stronger than comparable plastic alternatives. Doubling as the heat-sink for the LED's, the housings completely protect the internals from moisture and road debris.

Plug n Play: Wiring is easy too! The XB LED Fogs are designed to work without any special wiring. They will plug into the factory power outlets for the stock fog lights and each fog light includes all necessary connectors, rubber seals, and pigtails for a plug n play install."
Old 07-23-17, 04:02 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks great ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Quick Reply: First Project BMW OEM Led fogs