GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade

Old 01-24-18, 08:02 AM
rattmobbin
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Update please. Curious of what you found that sounds best.
Sorry I never posted an update!

So I spent 3 full days in the garage swapping speakers in and out, trying different combos, listening to different tracks over, and over, and over, and I ended up liking the sound of a lower end JBL line (GX302 in the dash, GX962 in the front doors, and GX602 in the rear doors) that I found on clearance locally. Spent less than $300 for 2 sets of 3", 1 set of 6.5", and 1 set of 6"x9"! They're last year's model (actually 2016 I think), but had a tad more efficiency than the replacement models (the GT7 stuff), meaning they'd make just a little better use of the meager power the stock system puts out.

Once I got everything installed and buttoned back up I was pretty confident with my decision. Highs were crystal clear, mids had a depth and range that was SEVERLY lacking from the stock speakers, and the bass from the 6x9s is enough to rattle the rear view mirror. VERY solid with zero distortion!

So why am I writing all this in past tense? Well, the 3" speakers for the dash didn't *quite* fit the stock speaker hole or the mounting holes, and instead of taking the time to make an adapter plate like I KNEW I should have, I just jammed them in there and hoped for the best. Well, shockingly, all 3 have now stopped working. LOL! Since they were on clearance I can't seem to find another set, so I'm back to the drawing board for the dash. I'll probably just get a set of the newer JBL line and make adapter plates for them, as I did really like the JBL sound signature they all had together.

Anyway, I'll try to be a little more active on here if anyone has any questions about my setup. Thanks again for the inspiration for the upgrade tecman!!! Replacing the speakers makes the stock system sound light years better than the factory setup. Now I just need a sub....
The following 2 users liked this post by rattmobbin:
sixbanger (11-26-22), tecman (01-24-18)
Old 01-25-18, 08:58 AM
Darwalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am planning on changing out the 2 outer dash speakers in the next month. I ended up adding tweeters in to the rear doors where the ML tweeters would have resided. Let me tell you, it is really nerve racking to drill holes in to the door panels when there is a skin over the plastic! The tweeters make a HUGE difference in sound quality in the back seat, and I had to move the fade to the front a little more because it was such clear sound behind my head.
Old 04-29-18, 03:26 PM
VonHess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. New owner here. I'm a music nut so of course the first thing I'm thinking about is improving the stereo system. 2011 Base, Nav, Non-Mark Levinson. I've read through the thread and it has inspired me to begin by changing out the dash and front door speakers (and maybe rear door). I just wanted to clarify a couple of things and ask a couple of questions:

1. From what I understand and my listening, the front door 6x9s pretty much are the subwoofer in a non ML System? Does anyone have any info on the frequency range that is sent to these speakers? Are there separate crossovers or does all of that happen in the head unit? I'm thinking of getting a 6x9 mid-bass driver. I've looked at some component systems that have the 6x9, the tweeters and crossovers, which I probably wont need.
2. I know the back doors take 6.5s. Listening to them they sound like pure mid-range. Has this been anyone elses take on it?
3. The tweeters are a standard 1 inch? I'm thinking I may need to use/modify the existing housing/bracket. In the pictures they dont look to be anything beyond standard depth.

Thanks tecman, for putting this up and thanks to everyone else for all the info. Please talk me out of adding a real sub!!
Old 04-30-18, 11:40 AM
rattmobbin
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VonHess
1. From what I understand and my listening, the front door 6x9s pretty much are the subwoofer in a non ML System? Does anyone have any info on the frequency range that is sent to these speakers? Are there separate crossovers or does all of that happen in the head unit? I'm thinking of getting a 6x9 mid-bass driver. I've looked at some component systems that have the 6x9, the tweeters and crossovers, which I probably wont need.
Correct. All your bass is being sent through the headunit to the 6x9's in the door, along with mid and treble. Slapping a midbass driver in the door is going to result in poor audio quality IMO unless you have a way of blocking the mid and treble signals being sent to that speaker somehow.

2. I know the back doors take 6.5s. Listening to them they sound like pure mid-range. Has this been anyone elses take on it?
I think mids and highs are being sent to the rear door speakers, but it appears to be crossed over REALLY high, as there is literally zero bass response from the rear door speakers, which is disappointing.

3. The tweeters are a standard 1 inch? I'm thinking I may need to use/modify the existing housing/bracket. In the pictures they dont look to be anything beyond standard depth.

Thanks tecman, for putting this up and thanks to everyone else for all the info. Please talk me out of adding a real sub!!
I left the factory tweeters in and am pretty pleased with the way they blend with my JBL's. Have no need to replace them at this point.

I'd love to do a sub as well, but have had pretty subpar experience with using speaker level inputs in previous vehicles. Also, since the rear doors get zero bass signal, you'd have to tap into the front doors and run wire all the way back to the sub. It's not impossible by any means, just not a project I felt like tacking at this point. To be honest, the bass response from the JBL's I put in is good enough that it put my desire for a sub on the back burner. For now at least. :-p
Old 04-30-18, 12:07 PM
VonHess
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
Correct. All your bass is being sent through the headunit to the 6x9's in the door, along with mid and treble. Slapping a midbass driver in the door is going to result in poor audio quality IMO unless you have a way of blocking the mid and treble signals being sent to that speaker somehow.
Are the stock 6x9s coax?
Old 05-01-18, 03:08 PM
VonHess
Driver School Candidate

Default 6x9s

Just some info I've found for anyone else who may be looking to do this. These speakers look like they may be plug and play, although they are a bit pricey.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091IS6...RoCwHsQAvD_BwE
Old 08-08-18, 08:02 PM
gyoung345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving this thread. I just acquired a 2018 Lexus GX460 Base after trading in my A4 with Bang & Olufsen. I feel like I am in a tunnel and it is driving me nuts. I saw this thread and it seems to be an option after getting some crazy quotes from some audio shops. My biggest concern is the speaker connector. I've never done this stuff before and I am leary of cutting wires! I've very comfortable with electronics (a gadget guy, building computers, etc...) but after buying this new, cutting wires gives me the creeps!

I was wondering if something like this might prevent the need for doing that? Do any of these Toyota adapters match up?

https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-4r...rness-adapter/

Old 08-09-18, 06:11 AM
gyoung345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a look at the actual dash speaker connector. I will look for some used speakers that have them.

Old 08-13-18, 06:53 PM
Kiza
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings everyone. I was curious if those of you that installed 4 ohm speakers in place of the stock 8 ohm had any long term problems with them? I'm a new owner of a GX and while I'm happy with the ML system, this thread as created an itch that needs scratching! Hard to find 8 ohm 3.5 speakers as you all know, so curious as to how the 4 ohm's worked out for you all.
Old 08-13-18, 08:24 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiza
Greetings everyone. I was curious if those of you that installed 4 ohm speakers in place of the stock 8 ohm had any long term problems with them? I'm a new owner of a GX and while I'm happy with the ML system, this thread as created an itch that needs scratching! Hard to find 8 ohm 3.5 speakers as you all know, so curious as to how the 4 ohm's worked out for you all.
According to Ohm's law 4Ohm speaker will draw more current. The speaker better have more wattage rating. Otherwise speaker may overheat, or amp will over heat. Overheating means possible burn out.
Old 09-28-18, 10:04 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I decided to upgrade dash speakers to Kenwood KFC-835C as recommened by tecman. I removed Lexus proprietary connector from OEM speaker with the intention of soldering it to Kenwood. Are all black wires negative and color ones (brown / blue) positive? Also, I noticed Kenwood speaker doesn't come with the foam shroud. Do I need this shroud or I am fine? Many thanks in advance!

Old 09-29-18, 12:21 AM
psun786
Driver

Ok. I soldered Lexus' proprietary connector to Kenwood speaker and placed it in dash. But the mounting screws don't align, it is off by few mm. How did you all managed to secure the speaker to the housing? Also, the center speaker seem to be a very tight fit. Would rubbing it onto air tube causing problems?

Old 09-29-18, 08:06 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I think I remember running the screws at an angle to get them to grab. As I mentioned earlier the center is a snug fit but no problem.
The following users liked this post:
psun786 (09-29-18)
Old 09-29-18, 11:52 PM
psun786
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
I think I remember running the screws at an angle to get them to grab. As I mentioned earlier the center is a snug fit but no problem.
Thanks. I manage to install dash and front speakers this afternoon. Went with JBL GTO939 in the front. Just like dash, the mount holes doesn't align correctly. I had to drill a fourth hole on the adapter. Honestly, the included mounting screws doesn't look very secure. I was afraid the speaker would fall out when drive over a pothole so I put some fabricated metal retainer on the back and epoxy it with JB Weld. For some reason, I still don't think it is secure enough but don't know what else I can do. How did you guys secure speaker to adapter? Did you just use metal screws on plastic?
Old 09-30-18, 10:04 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Looking at my first post I see I used sheetrock screws. I use coarse thread sheetrock screws for pretty much everything

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade