GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX Premium Ride Quality Deteriorated

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 01:42 PM
alder8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2014 GX Premium Ride Quality Deteriorated

Has anyone else had this experience? My 2014 GX 460 ride quality suddenly dropped. Had the car for 11 month, have about 10K on it. The ride quality drop sort of happened overnite. Suddenly I feel all the bumps on the road, something that I had not felt before. It's almost as if someone overinflated the tires (checked the pressure - it was 32-33Psi), or if suspension setting was changed (my model does not have suspension modes). I'm going to take it to the dealer, but because it's a very difficult problem to explain (ride quality is always subjective, I guess) - I was wondering if anyone one else has experienced something similar. Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-14, 04:13 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Are you sure you don't have the differential locked?
Old 09-08-14, 11:35 PM
chrisliuw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check if any light on?
Old 09-09-14, 02:11 PM
alder8
Driver School Candidate

I checked all the setting. Differential is not locked. I don't see any warning lights. 4wd is in HI and hill descent is OFF. Not sure what's going on there.
Thanks for your input.
Old 09-09-14, 02:16 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by alder8
I checked all the setting. Differential is not locked. I don't see any warning lights. 4wd is in HI and hill descent is OFF. Not sure what's going on there.
Thanks for your input.
maybe issue with your KDSS? take it to dealer
Old 09-15-14, 12:34 PM
alder8
Driver School Candidate

Took GX to the dealer today. They did not find anything wrong with the suspension or any other parts of the car when they did 10k service today; and when I took a test drive with them, they said the ride is normal. Of course, I drive the car every day, so it's easy for me to notice when something is off. They rotated the tires (part of their complimentory 10 k service), but that did not fix anything, of course. Will take the car to them tomorrow and try to test drive another GX to show them the difference, but they did not seem to be very responsive to that idea. But I'll try to pressure them anyhow.
Old 09-15-14, 03:52 PM
hkhours
Driver School Candidate

Hi alder8, I also have a 2014 GX460 Premium with only 2,000 miles. I have to agree with you that I do feel bumps that was not quite the same. I even feel it when I come to a stop I feel like it's going over a tiny bump. But there's days that it rides like a magic carpet(glides). Very hard to explain. I bought the car to a local mechanic friend of mine. He had 2 mechanics ride with me, and they both said it's normal. Only thing I can think of is I'm getting this new and used car feeling. After you drive it for certain amount of miles from day one(with only a few miles) parts does change and get broken in or loosen up. I'm not due for service yet. But I guess I will get the same answer. If you are going to test drive one for comparison with them, it will feel different (better). Unless, you're driving something with similar miles. As of now I'll continue to drive it and we'll see. Please keep us informed with your next visit.

Thx
Sam
Old 09-16-14, 01:59 PM
alder8
Driver School Candidate

Sam,
Thank you for sharing the info. I drove the car for 1 day after the tire rotation and it seems a bit better. Of course, now I'm paying more attention to the ride, so maybe I notice things I did not notice before. I have a feeling there may be a setting somewhere in the embedded software that switched the suspension to a different mode (even though I don't have those options in my car, they probably are there in the software??) - just guessing. I also think that 10K and especially 2K is too early for the ride quality to go south. I will drive for another week or so and if I'm still not happy, will go to the dealer again. In the mean time, I'll see if there's anything about this on Google searches.
Old 09-30-14, 09:32 PM
alder8
Driver School Candidate

Follow-up: took the car to the dealer and test drove a new GX with 20miles right after driving my car. The new one had a better ride than mine, not as bumpy, but it was difficult to compare still. My feeling was that there's still something wrong with my car - the mechanic who rode with me told me that he did not feel any difference. Not sure what to do now, seems like the only other option is to take the car to an independent mechanic.
Old 10-01-14, 04:58 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Let me ask, you must have the bridgestone tires right?

I think its the crappy duelers breaking in causing decreased ride quality. I sort of understand what you saying, i just hit 1000 miles in my gx.
thinking about getting the michelins sooner at this point
Old 10-02-14, 03:58 PM
alder8
Driver School Candidate

i have Micheline tires , so maybe that's not the issue
Old 10-13-14, 08:04 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purely psychological. This has happened with every car I've owned...the longer I've owned it, the more aware I become of any squeaks, rattles, etc.

Especially on roads that I drive every day, I can almost subconsciously anticipate every bump, which makes it worse. The truck itself hasn't changed. Just get out of your own head and you'll be ok.
The following users liked this post:
qwertykid0 (11-08-20)
Old 10-13-14, 08:20 AM
bigsley18
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100% agree. I actually thought the service guys did something to my brand new GX because I brought it in for warranty work with only 500 or so miles on the odometer. So I complained to the service guy but he and the tech said my GX rode as normal as they came.

I just concluded that it was pure psychological because I came from a 2006 Honda Pilot. So my initial impressions of the GX were almost God-like. I think I got too used to the ride and it didn't feel God-like anymore.

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Purely psychological. This has happened with every car I've owned...the longer I've owned it, the more aware I become of any squeaks, rattles, etc.

Especially on roads that I drive every day, I can almost subconsciously anticipate every bump, which makes it worse. The truck itself hasn't changed. Just get out of your own head and you'll be ok.
The following users liked this post:
qwertykid0 (11-08-20)