gxgonz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad no one makes an aftermarket windshield for the 460
Old 08-02-11, 11:09 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, doesn't your insurance company cover it? My policy provides new windshield replacement with no deductibles. I'd just give them a call and they will send a van to your home or work place to replace it.
Old 08-02-11, 11:15 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gxgonz
Too bad no one makes an aftermarket windshield for the 460
Then in this case your glass insurance should cover OEM windshield replacement.
Old 08-02-11, 12:40 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Softglass? ARen't these just the same OEM Toyota/ Safelite glass in every vehicle?
Old 08-02-11, 06:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by majiaben
Just curious, doesn't your insurance company cover it? My policy provides new windshield replacement with no deductibles. I'd just give them a call and they will send a van to your home or work place to replace it.
fyi thats probably not the same windshield. they are probably using a non oem windshield
Old 08-02-11, 07:10 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Windshield policy? Never heard of if and don't have it. I am frankly not too concerned with the best insurance provider more about if this is a reoccurring problem.
Old 08-02-11, 08:19 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

It may be called glass replacement. I just checked my insurance coverage sheet from MetLife but found no separate line item for it. I think it is part of the comprehensive coverage. I don't remember specifically purchasing this coverage. So it is probably a "feature" of their insurance product. It doesn't hurt to call your provider and find it out.
Old 08-02-11, 08:21 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Originally Posted by T4Fun
fyi thats probably not the same windshield. they are probably using a non oem windshield
I am sure they use some generic part. But I didn't have to pay for it :-). If the windshield breaks within a year, it will be covered by the part warranty. Beyond one year, the insurance kicks in again.
Old 08-03-11, 08:02 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by majiaben
It may be called glass replacement. I just checked my insurance coverage sheet from MetLife but found no separate line item for it. I think it is part of the comprehensive coverage. I don't remember specifically purchasing this coverage. So it is probably a "feature" of their insurance product. It doesn't hurt to call your provider and find it out.
Yeah, it's part of the comprehensive coverage. I have a 100.00 deductible for glass.
Old 08-06-11, 06:13 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If it were my gx, i would have taken it to dealer for the same glass. it shouldnt cost anything more
Old 08-08-11, 09:10 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If there is no aftermarket glass yet available for the GX460, the insurance company has no choice but to approve the replacement with the OEM part. Once aftermarket glass companies will start producing the windshields compatible with GX460, then they will require you to take the aftermarket glass instead of OEM since it will be significantly cheaper.
Old 08-07-12, 05:43 PM
Khandfw
Driver

Angry Windshield repair

On the way from Houston (passing an 18 wheeler) a rock hit the windshield and crack , Called progressive and told it needs to be replaced. Now i know my deductible is 250, but then the agent tells me that the GX (2nd gen) OEM windshield is going to be an extra 225 charge + my deductible and the rest they pay. Then the agent says we can get you a aftermarket windshield and all you have to pay is the 250 deductible... and the only difference in the aftermarket is no Lexus marking with in it, all the other features apply (standard/ no lane departure, which doesn't apply to me).

So I am debating due to a tight budget (upgrades to the house) which routes is better in the long run, So lets here some advise or prior experience w/ windshield repair/ replacements.
Old 08-07-12, 09:11 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this happen to my first gen GX and the SC....I insisted on getting the oem glass for the GX but got an aftermarket for my SC. Both appear and function the same...I cannot tell the difference. I guess if the glass is a quality glass and is done by a reputable shop then there is really no difference...other than the marking on the glass. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-12, 04:08 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the time aftermarket glass does not have the same OEM UV/sun protection (which is a large reason why it is more expensive) or other options like acoustic glass, permanent water repellent coating etc.. It also is usually thinner. I always stick with OEM. Insurance companies love to tell you it is the same but after fighting with mine a few years back they finally admitted it was not the "same" and let me get OEM. In my opinion it is like saying "sunglasses are sunglasses, there is no difference between brands...they all do the same thing so just spend $5.00 for some cheap pair" but ask any eye doctor and do some research. You will see there is a huge difference. (no pun intended ) We recently rented a Nissan for a trip and both my wife and I could tell a huge difference when the sun was shinning through the glass - very hot but in our cars (mine, GX, hers, X5) it is not.
Old 08-08-12, 05:36 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Most of the time aftermarket glass does not have the same OEM UV/sun protection (which is a large reason why it is more expensive) or other options like acoustic glass, permanent water repellent coating etc.. It also is usually thinner. I always stick with OEM. Insurance companies love to tell you it is the same but after fighting with mine a few years back they finally admitted it was not the "same" and let me get OEM. In my opinion it is like saying "sunglasses are sunglasses, there is no difference between brands...they all do the same thing so just spend $5.00 for some cheap pair" but ask any eye doctor and do some research. You will see there is a huge difference. (no pun intended ) We recently rented a Nissan for a trip and both my wife and I could tell a huge difference when the sun was shinning through the glass - very hot but in our cars (mine, GX, hers, X5) it is not.
Very good post.

Just to add to this, The OEM glass is VERY expensive!

Koz

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements