GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Ride Quality of Lexus GX vs MB GL450

Old 04-17-14, 12:47 PM
alawode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Quality of Lexus GX vs MB GL450

Hi guys,

Im looking to switch from an MB GL450 to the 2014 GX460. I was wondering if any one could tell me if the ride quality of the lexus will be as good as the GL since the GL has airmatic suspension and the GX does not.

When driving the GL i hardly feel any bumps or pot holes in the road and the ride is very smooth, is the GX the same?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-14, 04:51 AM
alawode
Driver School Candidate

100 views not a single reply, this is the worst lexus forum out there
Old 04-18-14, 05:33 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

nice start!

why are you switching? what are you looking for?
Old 04-18-14, 06:31 AM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is just probably not enough of us that has driven a GL. I like the looks but boy are they pricey. I have a 14' GX and it drives like a truck you feel all the bumps and I don't mind a bit. I new what I was buying.
Old 04-18-14, 06:35 AM
MyGX460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Handling and smoothness belong to the GL
Old 04-18-14, 07:17 AM
sanf
Rookie

i compared my 14 GX460 vs my bro in law's 14 GL450. The GX is a bit harder on the road. The GL corners a lot better but this is all expected.
Old 04-18-14, 09:09 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alawode
100 views not a single reply, this is the worst lexus forum out there
The two belong in too different categories so I guess not much people cross shopped them seriously. The GL has to offer better on-road handling since it sacrificed a lot of SUV capability to do so (I'm personally can't even call GL an SUV -- it's a lifted sedan).

When it comes to SUV department, the GX will eat GL for breakfast, they are not even close. Just look at the world track records between the two. Nobody cares about GL where real SUV capability is required and Prado (on which GX is based on) is everywhere. Of course GX has to sacrifice some on-road manners to remain the true capable off-road beast.
Old 04-18-14, 09:59 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The GX is jittery and bumpy on the road, but in a hardcore SUV kind of way. I love that feeling, but is it smooth? No. The solid rear axle takes most of that away.

Last edited by Lolrax; 04-18-14 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 01:19 PM
alawode
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, i really appreciate everyone's contribution
Old 04-20-14, 07:11 PM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MyGX460
Handling and smoothness belong to the GL
I had a GL450 premier when it first came out and kept it until last year when I traded it in for my wife's LS460. I also bought a GX Luxury for me as well. The GX is quieter on the road, but the GL's handling and smoothness put it to shame. However, I am looking forward to a trouble-free ownership with Lexus. I was a loyal mercedes owner for almost 20 years and had just about every model except for the SL. I never even considered the new GL since I was getting frustrated with Mercedes' problems and high maintenance/service cost.
Old 04-20-14, 08:42 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Below is a review I wrote on the 2011 GL450 that you may find useful....or not.

Warning Long Post!!!!!!!

It has been two weeks since trading in a 2010 Acura MDX w/Technology Package for a 2011 Arctic White Mercedes GL450. I didn’t load it up to the gills with options but instead only chose the necessities. The car has the Premium 1 Package, Heated Steering Wheel, Trailer hitch, RES pre-wire, Running boards, Parktronics, and Blind Spot Assist. I was considering the GL Appearance Package but after a lengthy test drive I agree with what I've read on this and other forums, the run flats coupled with the larger wheels made the ride a bit harsh.

I have had more cars than I care to admit on this forum so needless to say, I am not new to Mercedes. My Acura MDX was far from an inferior automobile but the GL’s ride, cavernous interior, and overall solid feeling cannot be matched. The GL450 is a different beast altogether!

My likes:
1. I like the clean lines and sophisticated posture of the SUV
2. I like how quiet the SUV is even at 85mph
3. I like the vault like feeling once inside.
4. I LOVE the buttery ride and responsiveness of the throttle. After two weeks I am still adjusting.
5. A lot of people have stated that the MB Tex upholstery feels rubbery. I disagree but then again I don't spend a lot of time being touchy feely with the seats.
6. I love the contrast stitching on the seats and dash!
7. I like the accuracy and responsiveness of the voice controls. I don’t see much difference in accuracy from my Acura and they it's considered one of the best voice recognition systems in the automotive business!
8. I like the power flip up/down third row seats. I consider this to be gimmicky but convenient nonetheless.
9. I don’t know how I ever drove without blind spot assist.
10. Parktronic is really cool and has proven useful having to squeeze along side my wife's Lexus in the garage.
11. The Bluetooth connection to my cell phone is almost instantaneous from the moment I start the engine. The MDX required close to a minute to connect.
12. The mids and highs on the non-premium stereo sound great!
13. The front console screen will play a DVD movie, of course when parked!
14. Speed...this thing is a bullet so I can only imagine what the GL550 feels like.
15. Operating the cruise control is so easy, a caveman can do it! :-)

My dislikes:

1. The chrome colored roof rails look fake and plasticky.
2. The chrome fog light housing looks fake and plasticky.
3. The COMMAND, although not as intuitive as other systems, is much easier to navigate once you learn the voice commands. Entering an address is easier in the GL450 than it was in the MDX.
4. I don't know what to think of the non-premium stereo. Some days it sounds great and other days I am wishing for deeper lows. It's not the best non-premium stereo I've heard but it's certainly not the worse. I had a 2009 BMW X5 with the non-premium stereo and my coworker’s non-premium stereo in her Toyota Rav4 blew me out the water! Embarrassing!
5. Since the weather has been crazy lately, I've found myself having to use the heat at night. Regulating the temperature in the GL450 hasn't been the easiest. To receive any resemblance of heat, I find myself turning the dial almost all the way to the right. I am doing this in AUTO setting so perhaps I am using the system incorrectly.
6. I don't like how much door rattling and vibration is caused by the "non-premium" stereo even with the volume at neighborhood levels. How can an SUV this solid sound like a hollow can from the outside.
7. The glove box is not big enough to hold the MB manuals and supporting documentation packet.
8. Brake dust!!!
9. The GL450 drives small but turns big!
11.There is no excuse for an automobile of this price not to have Bluetooth A2DP!!

Last edited by GX4704ME; 04-20-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 06:59 AM
alawode
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys