GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Three questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 02:16 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three questions

1. I noticed today when I was detailing my GX that here were two black streaks running down the side beneath each door handle. Is this something everyone has? Is it just accumulated dirt or maybe a gasket under the door handle deteriorating? My truck was not really too dirty, I hand wash on the average of once a week, clay bar and wax every couple of months or after a long trip. I had not noticed it before but I just got back from a trip to the beach so I had salt air, etc. and on the way back I drove through snow in the mountains so I had salt on top of that. Snow actually made my park assist stop working and the warning went off until I got out and scraped it off.

2. I found a dreaded rock ding on my hood. I guess it had to happen since I elected to put off buying a clear bra or having the 3M thing done because I had some other things tying me up and I needed my truck. I am a wrestling coach and the season just ended. Now I have the time and the extra money but it's too late. My question, do you guys get touch up paint from the dealer or from a third party online. Mine is Starfire Pearl and the ding is about the size of the head of a pin - clear down to the metal, so I know I need to fix it but I do not want the repair to look worse than the ding!

3. Does anyone have a recommendation for windshield washer fluid? I have always used Rain-X brand but the guy at Advance told me the other day that he had some customers complain that it "Ate their wiper blades." Does Lexus recommend any particular brand or do any of you guys have any favorites that have worked well for you in the past.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-14, 02:37 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Stay with factory touch up for a guaranteed match. I bought it from Sewell, pay less but pay for shipping.
Old 04-01-14, 02:58 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tecman
Stay with factory touch up for a guaranteed match. I bought it from Sewell, pay less but pay for shipping.
Thanks, will go with Sewell. I know the Starfire is a three step paint process so an exact match will be almost impossible. I usually tape off the ding with painters tape, use isopropyl to clean out the hole, put paint in with an artists brush and use a tiny rubber squeegee I got with a cell phone screen protector to remove excess paint down to the tape level. Then wax. About the best I can do unless I wet sand the hood and the truck only has 3500 miles on it so I do not want to do that.
Old 04-01-14, 03:10 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

I have the Rain-x washer fluid but haven't noticed it eating wipers.

I'd stick with the factory touch-up paint, no sense saving $5 on paint that may not match as well, especially on a 3-stage paint. I am now wishing I would have done the clear bra on ours, 3000 miles and at least 5 or 6 small rock chips on the lower front bumper. My wife daily drives it and isn't a tailgater by any stretch. The black bumper cover really shows through on a silver car when you get a chip.

When I use touch up, I skip the brush entirely and use a toothpick to put it on, just filling the hole but not getting any one the existing paint. Your method sounds good too.
Old 04-01-14, 10:36 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's never too late for 3M, touch it up and put that on. It's beyond me why people don't do it.
Old 04-19-14, 11:17 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

How can I find someone to apply the 3M. There does not seem to be anyone in our area at all. I am convinced I need it. Found another little ding today. I am in WV where OH, KY and WV come together. Would travel 2-3 hours if necessary to get a quality installer.
Old 04-19-14, 05:35 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I put this product on.

Originally Posted by Herd72
How can I find someone to apply the 3M. There does not seem to be anyone in our area at all. I am convinced I need it. Found another little ding today. I am in WV where OH, KY and WV come together. Would travel 2-3 hours if necessary to get a quality installer.
Let me correct that, I paid someone to put this on and it has been outstanding. Took the guy the better part of six hours. He was recommended to me from the local Porsche Club chapter and has done several 911s and a few GT2s. That was good enough for me. The product is self healing and guaranteed not to yellow or separate for seven years.

http://www.xpel.com/

Dealer locator:

http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear.../United_States

Good luck,
Randy
Old 04-19-14, 05:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Maybe try a local company that wraps cars with advertisements, someone there could be qualified