GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Advice on GX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 06:53 AM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Advice on GX Purchase

New member to CL. I would like your opinion about purchasing a newer (2013, 2014) GX model exclusively for travel. Off-roading is not a factor and neither is snow.

Preface: Currently, my wife and I own a 2008 RX350, bought new, now with about 60K miles. Most of the miles were accumulated by commuting before we retired and on long driving trips/vacations. Most travel is 2000-3000 miles, over a week period, and two or three times per year. That equates to several hundred miles in the vehicle per day...as much as 10 hours. We would like more room for storage on the trips. Golf clubs and equipment eat up the storage. At times, we would like to tow a 14' fishing boat or small trailer that are currently towed by a 5.7L Tundra truck.

Questions:

1, Is the GX comfortable and suitable for long trips and long days in the car? Old folks like us appreciate long-term comfort. A short test drive at the dealer doesn't give a clue...except that it is a very nice vehicle for a 10 minute experience. We discovered this issue after taking the Tundra on a long trip.

2. Is storage area significantly increased when the second row seats are folded? Some photos show the second seat row folds up and forward (blocking access to the cargo area from the front seat) while others show the second row folds flat. Apparently, the second row can be completely removed with taking out just four bolts. More information and experience is requested.

In summary, our concerns are that the GX is built on a truck frame and may have a ride more harsh than our current RX. Episodes of what we refer to as "airplane butt" during long days in the seat would like to be avoided.
Old 02-16-14, 07:17 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

GWD,

I understand what you are describing and have gone through the same process with my parents who pre dated your retirement by about eight years.

Your maninly highway mileage with a longtime in the seat. You tow minimally and when you do it sounds like it is less than 3500lbs of tow weight. Probably closer to 2000lbs. You desire space for golf clubs and luggage.

Your RX is built on a Camry esq unibody. It is more car like. The GX is truly a truck chassis. It will ride harder and stiffer than what you have now. The seats are very comfortable in the GX. The cargo room is not so great for two sets of golf clubs and luggage.

My suggestion is the GX is not what you are looking for. I had my parents try numerous vehicles. I did this on a whirlwind four day weekend.

I suggest you read up on the following and then test drive:

Toyota Sienna Limited
Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Mercedes ML350

While the first two are minivans, they are fantastic for what you are desiring. Both of those models have numerous creature comforts and drive effortlessly. The Honda has more of a sport feel, where the Toyota has more of a luxury feel.

The MDX and QX60 are larger versions of what you have now in the RX. The QX will be more luxurious inside, and the CVT transmission will take some getting used to in the QX. The 14 MDX is having some growing pains with the new design and touchscreen intensiveness for operations. These are crossovers like your RX and not true SUVs. They are both offerred in FWD and AWD.

Start with Edmunds.com, and read the full editors review for each model. Then make some notes and drive each one. Not just in town around the lot, tell the sales person you want to get up and down a highway as well. I think you will be very surprised with the minivans in comparison to your RX.

That's my $.25 worth.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 02-16-14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 12:55 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a 2007 RX and a 2013 GX. We have taken both on an 1,100 mile drive that we do in two days. In fact, we got the GX mostly to accomodate us for this trip, which we do at least once a year (and back).

The GX is much more comfortable than the RX. Quieter, smoother, more stable. Maybe not as nimble on turns or as peppy as the RX, but for long trips, no question the GX is the way to go. Although we don't use it for people, the second seat in the RX is kind of noisy and doesn't ride that great.

The GX will have quite a bit more space for cargo, but how much will depend on what you are hauling and how you pack it. We use a Stowaway 2 cargo hitch box for extra cargo space.
Old 02-16-14, 02:37 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Randy B. and LFIL: Thank you very much for the replies. This is just the kind of information that I am looking for.

The details will be shared with my wife. She is insistent on staying with the Lexus brand but perhaps these posts will convince her to, at the least, try something else. While we still may end up with a GX, exhausting the possibilities is my goal.

Indeed, if a larger RX would be made that would be ideal. I guess it would have to be made on the Sienna frame. But wishing it doesn't get it done.

Hopefully, others can contribute to the discussion of how to solve this dilemma.

Last edited by GWD; 02-16-14 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 03:28 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you check the specs on line the RX has 80.3 cubic ft cargo capacity and the GX has 64.7 cubic feet. We have a 08 RX and a 09 GX which has 75 cubic ft capacity. The GX space seems more useable because it is more "square". I also like the GX much better on the road - good sight and I think safer. I am concerned about moving up to a newer GX because of less cargo space and no captains chair arm rests on front seats of newer GX
Old 02-16-14, 04:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbyrn
If you check the specs on line the RX has 80.3 cubic ft cargo capacity and the GX has 64.7 cubic feet. We have a 08 RX and a 09 GX which has 75 cubic ft capacity. The GX space seems more useable because it is more "square". I also like the GX much better on the road - good sight and I think safer. I am concerned about moving up to a newer GX because of less cargo space and no captains chair arm rests on front seats of newer GX
I think the captains seats are for the second row, it has been awhile since I looked at 1st gen.I notice MPG has not come up and if that is a factor as you plan long trips there are better options.
Old 02-16-14, 04:32 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

My 09 GX has arm rests on the front seats. For me it's a major comfort factor on long trips and while towing.
Old 02-16-14, 04:37 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbyrn
My 09 GX has arm rests on the front seats. For me it's a major comfort factor on long trips and while towing.
Ahh,I recall 2nd row captain option on something I was considering awhile back, maybe it was an Infiniti. My bad
Old 02-17-14, 01:16 PM
seiclan
Driver School Candidate

We have driven our 2006 GX on long (1224 mile) trips 4x (2 round trips) and found it to be very comfortable. I think my new '14 GX's seats are more comfortable than the older version. I am looking forward to our annual trek north this summer. Yeah, I did like the adjustable arm rests on the first gen. GX but the new sliding console cover will be fine. It wasn't a deal breaker for me.
Old 02-17-14, 05:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Have you considered a new RX as it is quieter than the 2nd Gen RX, I have owned two Gen 2 RXs and it had the best ride. The new RX is a little firmer but more stable/better handling. The F-Sport which I own is even firmer which I totally would not advise for what you're looking for.

For GX owners, any insight on the adjustable suspension height and comfort settings? How does it work and any difference in ride height and comfort among the modes? How does it compare to the Gen 2 or 3 RX in terms of body roll, soaking of bumps, and stability?
Old 02-17-14, 07:01 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Have you considered a new RX as it is quieter than the 2nd Gen RX, I have owned two Gen 2 RXs and it had the best ride. The new RX is a little firmer but more stable/better handling. The F-Sport which I own is even firmer which I totally would not advise for what you're looking for.

For GX owners, any insight on the adjustable suspension height and comfort settings? How does it work and any difference in ride height and comfort among the modes? How does it compare to the Gen 2 or 3 RX in terms of body roll, soaking of bumps, and stability?
A newer RX would not solve the storage issue and the desire for a larger vehicle. My wife is 5'8" and I am 6'2". She is thin and I am, well, not so thin. So a larger GX-style vehicle is desirable for the ability to squirm around in the seats without running into cabin structure.

Although we do not pack heavily for a trip, it is nonetheless an inconvenience to dig through luggage to find what is needed. The RX almost needs to be completely unloaded to access the golf clubs. After a round the process is reversed and the car is unloaded, the clubs put in, and the car reloaded. It only takes a short time to grow weary of the process.

Fortunately, we have come into an inheritance and are free to explore options.
Old 02-18-14, 06:52 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you are in California, there are plenty of dealerships to test drive a new RX and a new GX back to back. The GX will feel bigger and heavier than the RX, but should be more comfy and quieter (if you don't get the hybrid) than a RX. The RX has no rear space whatsoever. I'm 6' and 235 lbs. so I'm a big guy and I fit perfectly with lots of room in a GX.
Old 02-18-14, 07:44 AM
NoDak
Driver School Candidate

another option would be a toyota sequoia. its the same as a LX570 but at the gx460 price.

Cargo volume

behind front : 120.1 (max)
second-row : 66.6
third-row seats : 18.9

gx460 max is 64.7
Old 02-18-14, 12:17 PM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

I just did a 12 hour round trip from Montreal to Toronto in my new GX. It was so smooth and comfortable I thought I was in a limousine. Crazy quiet, nearly silent. Fuel economy was pretty good too. 100 km/h the whole way and back, filled it once only. Amazing ride. Highly recommended for trips.
Old 02-18-14, 01:14 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoDak
another option would be a toyota sequoia. its the same as a LX570 but at the gx460 price.

Cargo volume

behind front : 120.1 (max)
second-row : 66.6
third-row seats : 18.9

gx460 max is 64.7
I almost purchased a Sequoia but couldn't get over how unrefined it is. That was my fault for comparing it against the GL, Q7, and GX.

Quick Reply: Advice on GX Purchase