Got my new GX, looking to make GX forum more active

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 01:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
I brought her home last night! Here are some pictures as promised,
Ever since the front redesign, I'm now VERY interested and tempted to trade up from my RX F-Sport. Not sure if I want to downsize to an NX or upsize to a GX - the jury is still out

Congrats and love the color. I think it's the best color on the GX personally as it compliments the chrome really well and the liquid graphite wheels stand out just enough. Really love your truck and the pics you took. More are welcome!

I assume you have the adaptive suspension and the load leveling feature. How's the ride comfort on Comfort vs Normal, vs Sport, and what can you say about the adjustable suspension height. I understand it's rear only and not the front and it goes back to normal height when "x" MPH is exceeded? Thanks

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-20-14 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 02:59 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I think they've improved the ML in the 2014 model. I had the ML in my 2010 GX 460 as well. I thought you had to purchase a Luxury model to get the ML? I know you have the luxury model and so do I, but I didn't have to special order mine, it was the first one into the dealership, but I told them what I wanted ahead of time and they were able to get one allocated on their first shipment.
Landing a 14 GX was the result of an interesting chain of events. I already made mental plans to pull the trigger on a 14 GX Luxury (or something else) sometime in the Spring. Therefore, my visit to the dealership was ONLY to see a GX up close and possibly take one out for a test drive. They only had one available and it was a base model with zero extras. Not knowing if the ride of the base and luxury model was the same (e.g. suspension, wheels, tires, etc) , I opted to take one out for a test drive anyway. After the test drive my interest was heightened so I asked to see a list of their GX allocations. There were three that were in production but already purchased and two that were scheduled to go into production but already purchased. I was given the option to special order but declined.

Before leaving the salesman asked if he could introduce me to the General Manager which I agreed. After introducing herself she got right down to business. She said with a verbal commitment to buy, she would search the country for a 14 Luxury GX with my preferred options. She said flexibility on the exterior/interior color would increase her chances of locating one. I was very flexible as I knew Onyx Black was out. She then asked for a ranking of the remaining exterior colors from preferred to least preferred. As for the interior color, I didn’t have a preference. We then agreed on the numbers to include my trade and lastly she put it all in writing. She made it clear one last time that there were no guarantees but would reach out to me on Monday with her search results. Late Monday afternoon I received a text from the salesman stating that a GX with my preferred options was located at a Lexus dealership several states away. However, the GM was playing hardball so both GMs were going back and forth. By late evening I received another call stating that an agreement was reached and the GX was in queue for transport. One week later (this past Tuesday) I took delivery!

Last edited by GX4704ME; 02-20-14 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 03:41 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Landing a 14 GX was the result of an interesting chain of events. I already made mental plans to pull the trigger on a 14 GX Luxury (or something else) sometime in the Spring. Therefore, my visit to the dealership was ONLY to see a GX up close and possibly take one out for a test drive. They only had one available and it was a base model with zero extras. Not knowing if the ride of the base and luxury model was the same (e.g. suspension, wheels, tires, etc) , I opted to take one out for a test drive anyway. After the test drive my interest was heightened so I asked to see a list of their GX allocations. There were three that were in production but already purchased and two that were scheduled to go into production but already purchased. I was given the option to special order but declined.

Before leaving the salesman asked if he could introduce me to the General Manager which I agreed. After introducing herself she got right down to business. She said with a verbal commitment to buy, she would search the country for a 14 Luxury GX with my preferred options. She said flexibility on the exterior/interior color would increase her chances of locating one. I was very flexible as I knew Onyx Black was out. She then asked for a ranking of the remaining exterior colors from preferred to least preferred. As for the interior color, I didn’t have a preference. We then agreed on the numbers to include my trade and lastly she put it all in writing. She made it clear one last time that she made no guarantees but would reach out to me on Monday with her search results. Late Monday afternoon I received a text from the salesman stating that a GX with my preferred options was located at a Lexus dealership several states away. However, the GM was playing hardball so both GMs were going back and forth. By late evening I received another call stating that an agreement was reached and the GX was in queue for transport. One week later (this past Tuesday) I took delivery!
I'm glad you got what you wanted, I like black, but I find it too hard to keep it looking good. I've owned several black cars and know how much work it is to keep it looking good all the time. I had the same color on my 2010 GX 460 as well. I put my request in early for my vehicle and received the first one into the dealership.
Old 02-20-14, 07:10 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Craig did any of the components have to be broken in and now they function better than when new? Example, suspension, speakers, leather, tranny, engine, mpg, etc.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 02-20-14 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 11:47 AM
Craig B

Craig did any of the components have to be broken in and now they function better than when new? Example, suspension, speakers, leather, tranny, engine, mpg, etc.
No, nothing had to be broken in, I haven't run the engine hard and everything works great.
Old 02-21-14, 03:08 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i feel my engine is much stronger - it does need time to break in imho - no highway driving for first 1000 miles.
Old 02-21-14, 03:46 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i feel my engine is much stronger - it does need time to break in imho - no highway driving for first 1000 miles.
I didn't have that luxury, my dealer is 110 miles away from my home. I think my fuel mileage will get better in time once the engine is broken in. I haven't done anything to break it in other than drive it the way I always do. I didn't set the cruise control on 80 MPH when I drove it home from the dealer.
Old 02-24-14, 12:21 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the contrary, I think this is one of the better model subforums we have. The crowd is more mature and helpful. If someone posts an issue or question, it usually is handled right away with quality input. Thankfully there aren't too many stupid discussions about rims and other such nonsense. I suppose I'm somewhat of an anomaly, in my late 20s with no kids, but I find the atmosphere in the GX forum refreshing. Good stuff without the fluff.

Also, the GX is a reliable vehicle, sold in relatively small numbers, and people tend to own them longer so there is less turnover. And this reflects in the forum participants, but again, quality over quantity.
Old 02-24-14, 04:22 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Ever since the front redesign, I'm now VERY interested and tempted to trade up from my RX F-Sport. Not sure if I want to downsize to an NX or upsize to a GX - the jury is still out

Congrats and love the color. I think it's the best color on the GX personally as it compliments the chrome really well and the liquid graphite wheels stand out just enough. Really love your truck and the pics you took. More are welcome!

I assume you have the adaptive suspension and the load leveling feature. How's the ride comfort on Comfort vs Normal, vs Sport, and what can you say about the adjustable suspension height. I understand it's rear only and not the front and it goes back to normal height when "x" MPH is exceeded? Thanks
Unlike the MDX, Q7, and X5 that trades comfort for a sporty ride, the GX is very comfortable. One of my BIGGEST complaints with my 2004 GX was the dang thing was too comfortable/smooth. It was almost like driving a comfy couch and sharp curves made the SUV feel like it wanted to tilt over. The 14 GX, although still smooth, feels more planted to the ground. To take a phrase from a Toyota Camry commercial that used to air almost every 30 mins last year, The vehicle feels more grounded to the ground!

The biggest difference is between Sport and Comfort or Sport to Normal. Normal to Comfort feels the same.
Old 02-24-14, 06:40 PM
Hypersion
10th Gear

I signed on the dotted line for a 2011 last Saturday, I hope I can pick it up before the weekend.

It's my first 4x4, truck, import car and luxury car I can't wait!.

Last edited by Hypersion; 02-24-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 06:47 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypersion
I signed on the dotted line for a 2011 this weekend, I hope I can pick it up before the weekend.

It's my first 4x4, truck, import car and luxury car I can't wait!.
Oh wow are you in for a pleasant surprise! All 4 of those firsts in one car is going to make for a hell of an experience. Definitely jealous over here.
Old 02-24-14, 08:01 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

once you drive the GX you will see how poorly a RX drives....gx feels like a tank
Old 02-25-14, 12:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Unlike the MDX, Q7, and X5 that trades comfort for a sporty ride, the GX is very comfortable. One of my BIGGEST complaints with my 2004 GX was the dang thing was too comfortable/smooth. It was almost like driving a comfy couch and sharp curves made the SUV feel like it wanted to tilt over. The 14 GX, although still smooth, feels more planted to the ground. To take a phrase from a Toyota Camry commercial that used to air almost every 30 mins last year, The vehicle feels more grounded to the ground!

The biggest difference is between Sport and Comfort or Sport to Normal. Normal to Comfort feels the same.
Originally Posted by T4Fun
once you drive the GX you will see how poorly a RX drives....gx feels like a tank

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I'll be seriously considering the GX.
Old 02-25-14, 01:27 PM
cubu
Rookie

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I'll be seriously considering the GX.
The RX feels like driving a sedan, more agile, stiff ride, more gas efficient. Th GX feels like driving a big truck, a little roomier, comfy. Everyday driving will be in the RX, GX will be for hauling the family around on weekend and road trips.
Old 02-25-14, 02:00 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
I suppose I'm somewhat of an anomaly, in my late 20s with no kids, but I find the atmosphere in the GX forum refreshing. Good stuff without the fluff.
It's nice to have some other younger folks driving the GX! I'm in my early 30s.

Quick Reply: Got my new GX, looking to make GX forum more active