GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

4 wheel Low

Old 01-21-14, 06:58 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel Low

Theres probably simple answer but why does the low 4wd setting beep? Am I not doing something right? Is it supposed to do that or is it yelling at me?
Old 01-21-14, 07:10 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVet
Theres probably simple answer but why does the low 4wd setting beep? Am I not doing something right? Is it supposed to do that or is it yelling at me?
Beep means it is not engaged. You have to be in neutral (not park) and stopped, then switch to 4 low.
Old 01-27-14, 07:26 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, make sure it is in neutral. My 4th generation 4Runner also did the same thing when it wasn't in neutral.

Since we are on this subject of 4Low, I'd like to remind everyone to at least throw your GX into 4 low every once in awhile, like once a month at least. There was a period of a year where I didn't use 4 low on my 4Runner and when I needed to use it, the actuator seized and it didn't work. I luckily got it working again with help from the 4Runner forum by coasting over speed bumps in neutral while switching between 4H and 4L several times.

Others on that forum weren't so lucky and actually needed to replace their actuator at a Toyota price of roughly $1200. So who knows how much Lexus might charge to fix this issue if it were to happen. These 4wd systems are essentially "use it or lose it" type systems and with GX's being luxury vehicles that seldom see off road situations, I can at least 90% of these vehicles not touching 4 low at all in their life time.
Old 01-27-14, 07:55 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
Yes, make sure it is in neutral. My 4th generation 4Runner also did the same thing when it wasn't in neutral.

Since we are on this subject of 4Low, I'd like to remind everyone to at least throw your GX into 4 low every once in awhile, like once a month at least. There was a period of a year where I didn't use 4 low on my 4Runner and when I needed to use it, the actuator seized and it didn't work. I luckily got it working again with help from the 4Runner forum by coasting over speed bumps in neutral while switching between 4H and 4L several times.

Others on that forum weren't so lucky and actually needed to replace their actuator at a Toyota price of roughly $1200. So who knows how much Lexus might charge to fix this issue if it were to happen. These 4wd systems are essentially "use it or lose it" type systems and with GX's being luxury vehicles that seldom see off road situations, I can at least 90% of these vehicles not touching 4 low at all in their life time.
Good Advise, Thanks!
Old 01-27-14, 08:16 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

One other note to this, attempt to do it on something softer or looser than asphalt. It allows the system to stretch itself better than on hard grippy asphalt.

Randy B
Old 01-27-14, 08:33 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

I haven't used 4Low since we bought the truck two years ago. Next time I drive it I am going to make sure I put it in 4Low and do it each month thereafter. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-27-14, 01:06 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good advice

Thanks for the great advice. I am setting a reminder on my phone to do this once a month - I chose the day my payment is due, LOL.
Old 01-27-14, 03:12 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy B
One other note to this, attempt to do it on something softer or looser than asphalt. It allows the system to stretch itself better than on hard grippy asphalt.

Randy B
This! I forgot to mention this. When doing your 4Low check, make sure it's not on surfaces like pavement or concrete etc.
Old 01-27-14, 03:36 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I was aware of the use it or lose it on older 4wd but I just assumed that new technology would not have the same maintenance. Thanks for the tip (Crap I have to get my truck dirty).

Last edited by tecman; 01-27-14 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 05:18 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This! I forgot to mention this. When doing your 4Low check, make sure it's not on surfaces like pavement or concrete etc.
Why would it matter? 4LO simply changes gear ratio in the transfer case so you get more torque to the wheels at lower RPM. The differentials are still unlocked, I don't see how surface would matter.
Old 01-27-14, 05:43 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default You hit it. The ratios.

Originally Posted by Quadro
Why would it matter? 4LO simply changes gear ratio in the transfer case so you get more torque to the wheels at lower RPM. The differentials are still unlocked, I don't see how surface would matter.
The ratios get so close in Low Range, that its safer to be on loose surfaces where they can essentially walk on each other, where as asphalt or concrete grip and do not let them have a variance of movement in the ratio.

Randy B
Old 01-27-14, 06:04 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

The ratios get so close in Low Range, that its safer to be on loose surfaces where they can essentially walk on each other, where as asphalt or concrete grip and do not let them have a variance of movement in the ratio.

Randy B
You mean the ratios between gear changes?
Old 01-27-14, 06:10 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Randy B
I have no idea what you are talking about. Either the center diff automatically locks in 4 lo or it does not. I believe it does and therefore there will be binding when turning. Turning on hard surfaces will make the binding very pronounced and can do damage if you over do it. We need to read the manual or go do some turns in 4 lo to find out.
Old 01-27-14, 06:17 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
I have no idea what you are talking about. Either the center diff automatically locks in 4 lo or it does not. I believe it does and therefore there will be binding when turning. Turning on hard surfaces will make the binding very pronounced and can do damage if you over do it. We need to read the manual or go do some turns in 4 lo to find out.
No it certainly does not lock automatically in 4LO, this is why I've got curious. You can lock it separately of course while in 4LO.
Old 01-27-14, 07:39 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Originally Posted by Quadro
No it certainly does not lock automatically in 4LO, this is why I've got curious. You can lock it separately of course while in 4LO.
That would mean that running it on pavement/concrete is not a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 wheel Low