GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rear Suspension Rattles / Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 09:31 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14

And knock off the condescending attitude, like your opinion is definitive or the only one that matters.
There is nothing "fun" about participating in a web forum with T4Fun that's for sure. Every post I have read from the guy has been patronizing, adversarial or rude.
Old 10-29-13, 04:51 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
The base version rides quite fine. Also, the LX does not have KDSS which is a critical component so you can't compare the two chassis *****-nilly.

And knock off the condescending attitude, like your opinion is definitive or the only one that matters.
I agree - My Base model has a great ride.
Old 10-29-13, 06:07 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolrax
There is nothing "fun" about participating in a web forum with T4Fun that's for sure. Every post I have read from the guy has been patronizing, adversarial or rude.
To be fair, SecPole14's comment that this is another reason to avoid AVS/air suspension is bogus. There doesn't seem to be a lot of issues with the GX's air suspension with the exception of some on the 470 after a long period of time which makes sense since shocks don't last forever. I have seen no issues on the GX460 yet here. If we were talking about the LS suspension the argument would make more sense since there are failures with the air suspension in that car with low miles.
Old 10-29-13, 07:38 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by patgilm
To be fair, SecPole14's comment that this is another reason to avoid AVS/air suspension is bogus. There doesn't seem to be a lot of issues with the GX's air suspension with the exception of some on the 470 after a long period of time which makes sense since shocks don't last forever. I have seen no issues on the GX460 yet here. If we were talking about the LS suspension the argument would make more sense since there are failures with the air suspension in that car with low miles.
And, I also agree with T4Fun that the ride on the air suspension GX vs. the traditional suspension GX is much nicer.
Old 10-29-13, 08:03 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sorry...i will keep my comments in check...

Last edited by T4Fun; 10-29-13 at 08:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TXGSF (10-06-20)
Old 10-29-13, 08:21 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
sorry...i will keep my comments in check...
Thanks dude

BTW, you were right on the 4Runner wheels. My GX feels like it is riding on plates, and I am going back to stock width ASAP.
Old 11-27-13, 09:04 AM
drallis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar rattle on my 2010 GX 460 lux and for me it was a simple solution. I found the jack in the cargo area door panel was being held in by an elastic ban. When I hit some bumps the jack would rattle. To resolve this I actually turned the jack **** with my finger to raise the jack so it would contact the top of the jack holder so it pressed itself in place. No more rattle. Just finger tighten the screw so if you need the jack just loosen and remove. I hope this solves your issue.
Old 11-27-13, 09:44 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks dude

BTW, you were right on the 4Runner wheels. My GX feels like it is riding on plates, and I am going back to stock width ASAP.
someone else here also thinking about doing this. i advised against that.
Old 11-28-13, 12:24 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drallis
I had a similar rattle on my 2010 GX 460 lux and for me it was a simple solution. I found the jack in the cargo area door panel was being held in by an elastic ban. When I hit some bumps the jack would rattle. To resolve this I actually turned the jack **** with my finger to raise the jack so it would contact the top of the jack holder so it pressed itself in place. No more rattle. Just finger tighten the screw so if you need the jack just loosen and remove. I hope this solves your issue.
Whoa! Thats a thought, trying it tonight, fingers crossed.
Old 11-28-13, 08:01 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Lolrax, I agree, check your jack and tools and make sure they are securely in place. Also, easy to overlook is your spare tire. Make sure that it is cranked up and tight up against the bottom of the vehicle. Your owners' manual shows you how/where to crank up and down your spare.
Old 11-29-13, 08:39 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kroorda
Lolrax, I agree, check your jack and tools and make sure they are securely in place. Also, easy to overlook is your spare tire. Make sure that it is cranked up and tight up against the bottom of the vehicle. Your owners' manual shows you how/where to crank up and down your spare.
Originally Posted by drallis

You guys nailed it, the jack was not held in place by anything and was actually just rattling around completely free in there. I feel like a dope for making such an issue out of something so small now! haha. I feel its a bit clunky but man is it better. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-13-13, 02:25 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

You guys nailed it, the jack was not held in place by anything and was actually just rattling around completely free in there. I feel like a dope for making such an issue out of something so small now! haha. I feel its a bit clunky but man is it better. Thanks again guys.
Turns out it wasn't the jack for the car. Had it out yesterday and the clunking was worse than ever. I switched my adaptive suspension from "Comfort" to "Sport" and the frequency of the sound was practically cut in half......worried this could be expensive. On my last post I just wanted what you guys said to be true.

The Lexus dealership turned me away saying it was the spare tire and never responded to another email I sent to the service manager about it so I made some calls and a Toyota dealership in town is going to take a look. The Sequoia has a similar system, so hopefully we can get an answer here.

Every time I hit a bump I wince.

Last edited by Lolrax; 12-13-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 03:39 PM
Flyinbrick
Rookie

Lolrax, have you've tried just bouncing up and down with the GX while it's in park to see if there is something more discernible about the noise?

Or even trying to just drive it over speedbumps?

By the way, I'm not sure about the design on the GX, however when I had my Grand Cherokee, the front brake calipers used a sleeving design, once the sleeves wore out, it caused the calipers to clunk going over small bumps (here's a link to the sleeves) http://www.thephantum.jeephorizons.c...ob/sleeve2.jpg I replaced the sleeves and clunking went away.

Now that I look at the diagram on sewell, it looks like there might be a similar part. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...000/477101.jpg

There might a couple of diagnostics things you can do, try going over speed bumps with the brakes feathered, going over them with the parking brake slightly engaged. Checking to see if any of it has an effect on the sound.

Just throwing out some ideas. I hope it helps. I just had my GX for a little over a week...complete newb to this vehicle but I've been working on cars for a long time.
Old 12-14-13, 04:13 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flyinbrick
Lolrax, have you've tried just bouncing up and down with the GX while it's in park to see if there is something more discernible about the noise?

Or even trying to just drive it over speedbumps?

By the way, I'm not sure about the design on the GX, however when I had my Grand Cherokee, the front brake calipers used a sleeving design, once the sleeves wore out, it caused the calipers to clunk going over small bumps (here's a link to the sleeves) http://www.thephantum.jeephorizons.c...ob/sleeve2.jpg I replaced the sleeves and clunking went away.

Now that I look at the diagram on sewell, it looks like there might be a similar part. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...000/477101.jpg

There might a couple of diagnostics things you can do, try going over speed bumps with the brakes feathered, going over them with the parking brake slightly engaged. Checking to see if any of it has an effect on the sound.

Just throwing out some ideas. I hope it helps. I just had my GX for a little over a week...complete newb to this vehicle but I've been working on cars for a long time.
Thanks for the suggestions! I tried both of those today and couldn't replicate the sounds. I really got it rockin when I was in the cargo area jumping around too the only clue is that the sound is lesser when I switch from comfort to sport mode with my adjustable suspension. Could the shocks be bad?
Old 12-16-13, 08:25 AM
Flyinbrick
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried both of those today and couldn't replicate the sounds. I really got it rockin when I was in the cargo area jumping around too the only clue is that the sound is lesser when I switch from comfort to sport mode with my adjustable suspension. Could the shocks be bad?
Don't know if it's possible, but it might be worth while to check the tightness of the bolts as well (if you havn't done so already). If the shocks themselves aren't directly the culprit, it could be that the adjustment of the suspension (stiffness) just changes the way in which the jarring responds -harsh versus mild that causes you to think that its lesser - once again, just throwing out thoughts.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Rattles / Bushing Replacement