GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dealer allocation, etc...My journey for a 2014 begins

Old 09-24-13, 12:50 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer allocation, etc...My journey for a 2014 begins

So I went in to the Lexus dealership this weekend to get some info about 2014s. Set up the appointment ahead of time, spent about 2.5 hours. They were pathetically clueless. I test drove a 2013 GX460 (base), which was excellent. However, they barely offered anything off sticker and totally lowballed my trade by a good $3000. Plus, I want a 2014 for myriad other reasons anyway.

After pressing them, they finally gave me 2 printouts for 2014s they had on the way. Neither was acceptable. I gave them 2 possible color/options combinations that I *would* be interested in. The salesman I worked with has sold 2 other Lexus to my family in the last 10 years, so I'm part of a repeat customer base and not just some chump off the street wasting his time.

He said he'd do some research and call me Monday with a way forward. As of today, I have heard nothing. Not super thrilled with the total lack of follow-up. I'm wondering if no news is bad news in this case...... (i.e. for some reason they are unwilling or unable to get me what I want).

Are Lexus dealers in southeastern states subject to the "Toyota SE Mafia" (which I know operates differently/separately from Toyota nationally)?

Can Lexus dealers see all the vehicles coming into a port and swap out? (I thought they would be able to). It's like pulling teeth with these people, if it's not on the lot, asking them to do something even SLIGHTLY outside of the box makes them short-circuit.

So there you have it, a bit of a rant and some tough questions....so far this experience is not off to the greatest of starts! I love the vehicle, but the lack of initiative on the dealer's part is frustrating and discouraging.
Old 09-24-13, 01:17 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Your salesman is just lazy, they can do a port swap with another dealer or put in a request to Lexus to find what you're looking for. Find another dealer, or ask for the new car sales manager. If they're not willing to search for a vehicle, find another dealer.
Old 09-24-13, 01:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

ten charssssss

Last edited by SecPole14; 11-20-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 04:20 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This won't make you feel any better, but I had a similar experience when trying to buy a 2013 GX earlier in the year. I could see a vehicle with the exact configuration I wanted on the Lexus website, but several dealers pretended it didn't exist. I finally bluntly told one that I would call Lexus corporate and ask why they weren't willing to sell this vehicle. He magically located it. This in the Chicago metro area. Turns out the car had been in Naperville and then traded to a northern Indiana dealer (part of the same area group). Overall, the whole process of buying a Lexus made me remember why we hold on to cars as long as we can. It is so painful dealing with these people we just avoid it. Good luck to you in your pursuit.
Old 09-24-13, 05:18 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Thanks Craig. I figured it was possible if the salesperson is on the ball. I'll go ahead and name names...This is Lexus of Charleston I'm currently dealing with. My salesman is indeed very old, not computer savvy at all. (This is part of a bigger problem I see for Lexus, but that's a different conversation...if you want to know what I'm getting at, check out the "New Owners Breakfast" photo gallery on the Lexus of Charleston facebook page). Anyway, A big problem is that Lexus of Charleston is the only Lexus dealership within 70-80 miles. The perils of living in a relatively small market....no competition, they can get away with the bare minimum.

What's worse is that I already HAVE reached out to another Lexus dealership, Hilton Head Lexus which is further away but still possibly an option. I sent a detailed message outlining the same two color/options combos I would go for, and their internet sales manager promptly replied asking me to come in to drive a pre-owned GX470! Are you kidding me?!

I feel stupid for going to this salesman at Lexus of Charleston in the first place. I figured showing some sort of loyalty would result in good service, but nope! I'll be a nice guy and give him until the end of the day tomorrow to respond (so far no call, no email, nothing). Maybe he's taking my business for granted?? If not, I will ask for the manager as you suggested. The process of buying (special ordering) my Mustang through Ford was a DREAM compared to this so far! Sad!
I told my dealer what I wanted and they either had one coming in, or put in a request to Lexus as a sold unit. Either way, I have a VIN # and my vehicle on the way. I dealt with this before and know what to ask for. They know me at this dealership and I've purchased 6 Lexus from them.
They can do a port swap with another dealer and have it shipped on the regular transport, so don't let them try to charge you for extra transportation fees. I had Superior Lexus in Kansas City try to pull that stunt with my 2010 GX 460. I didn't purchase it from them. At that time, I had a 2009 BMW X5 twin turbo diesel to trade and Lexus of St. Louis wasn't interested in trading for my BMW. I don't blame them, what a lemon that BMW was. I ended up purchasing my 2010 GX from Reliable Lexus in Springfield, MO. I didn't have to pay extra for the transportation of my vehicle and they did a port trade with another dealer. Superior acted like they would have to send someone to pick up my vehicle for an extra 1500.00. Let me know what happens. Good luck! You can also ask for the general manager of the dealership. I think at this point, I would ask to speak to the general manager of the dealership. I wouldn't wait on this old salesman to get anything done.

Last edited by Craig B; 09-24-13 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 06:20 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys. I know the GX community is one of the smaller ones, but it's nice to have the encouragement.

I suppose you could file all this under "first world problems", but I don't think it's asking too much to have straightforward communication and overall dealing. This is $55,000 we're talking about, not to mention something that will be my primary vehicle and a critical part of my daily life for the next 10+ years....they should be bending over backwards! Especially disappointing for a company that crafted its entire image and existence on quality and service. The product is there and better than ever, just wish the rest of the "experience" matched up. It's sad and ironic that even in the Lexus world, good service seems to be a hit-or-miss exception, not the rule these days.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you want to look at it), I like the GX so much that I'm willing to push through their laziness/incompetence/stupidity and persevere. I'll keep you all up to date.....
Old 09-25-13, 07:12 PM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. In my case, the salesman and the sales manager helped me locate the vehicle I wanted for $3,500 off sticker price and it should be at the dealership, Sterling McCall in Houston, in the next 3 weeks. BTW, it is a luxury model with ML and the dealer will install rear DVD's that will come in handy for long family trips.
Old 09-28-13, 12:44 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Well, after a week of "negotiating", the best they could do is $1300 off a 56k sticker, period. I told them that was a fail, period.
Old 09-28-13, 01:46 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It's much harder to "negotiate" for a car not on their lot. Personal experience.
Old 09-30-13, 07:00 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I told them that the deal they offered was not good enough for me to put a $1000 deposit on. If someone else wants it that badly and they sell it before it arrives for only $1300 off sticker, I said let them have it.

If it comes in and is sitting around unsold for a week I will go back in and try to deal again.
Old 09-30-13, 08:34 AM
Craig B

I told them that the deal they offered was not good enough for me to put a $1000 deposit on. If someone else wants it that badly and they sell it before it arrives for only $1300 off sticker, I said let them have it.

If it comes in and is sitting around unsold for a week I will go back in and try to deal again.
Try another dealer...
Old 09-30-13, 09:26 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Craig B
Try another dealer...
I contacted the Lexus dealers in Columbia and Hilton Head, can't even get them to call me back. They each have 80-mile radius territories all to themselves and a take-it-or-leave it attitude at each one.

I envy those of you who have 2 or 3+ Lexus dealerships within 30 mins drive or so...must make the process easier. More options = more likely to get the car and deal you want. Unfortunately, this is where the backwardsness of South Carolina is painfully evident.
Old 09-30-13, 10:22 AM
Craig B

I contacted the Lexus dealers in Columbia and Hilton Head, can't even get them to call me back. They each have 80-mile radius territories all to themselves and a take-it-or-leave it attitude at each one.

I envy those of you who have 2 or 3+ Lexus dealerships within 30 mins drive or so...must make the process easier. More options = more likely to get the car and deal you want. Unfortunately, this is where the backwardsness of South Carolina is painfully evident.
All dealers around me are 1.5-2 hour drive from my home. Another dealer where I purchased my current GX is 3.5 hours away... Call around, or contact their online sales dept.
Old 09-30-13, 10:59 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the more desperation you show, the higher price you will pay...
just calm down and wait
Old 09-30-13, 11:22 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Not desperation, more like agitation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer allocation, etc...My journey for a 2014 begins