GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Whats that smell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 09:21 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Whats that smell?

Everytime I get in and start up my GX it omits a moldy / musty smell out of the vents, it stinks! It goes away in a matter of seconds but it seems at every start up I get that smell again, it's lind of embarrassing. Any ideas?
Old 08-29-13, 09:40 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the previous generation Toyota 4Runners had issues with a sulfur smell connected to their catalytic converters. But since your smell is coming from the vents, I'm not sure what it could be.

Here is more information on the 4th generation 4Runner's issue to see if it could be related to yours:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/proble...-4runners.html
Old 08-29-13, 10:46 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It sounds like you are getting moisture in the ducts somehow, are you still under warranty?

Koz
Old 08-29-13, 11:43 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
It sounds like you are getting moisture in the ducts somehow, are you still under warranty?

Koz
Yeah, Still under warranty but it seems Bridgewater Lexus can't find issues and all the other dealers are just too far for me to deal with. I'll see what happens once summer is done, may be an A/C moister issue, smells like a wet / musty smell.
Old 08-29-13, 03:35 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Yeah, Still under warranty but it seems Bridgewater Lexus can't find issues and all the other dealers are just too far for me to deal with. I'll see what happens once summer is done, may be an A/C moister issue, smells like a wet / musty smell.
You can also request a district service manager from Lexus look at your vehicle. Mine has
no smell at all. If you can, make an appt. when you can meet with the Lexus field rep.
Old 08-29-13, 03:56 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Everytime I get in and start up my GX it omits a moldy / musty smell out of the vents, it stinks! It goes away in a matter of seconds but it seems at every start up I get that smell again, it's lind of embarrassing. Any ideas?
Others have suggested that you insist Lexus deal with this, which I support.

If that fails, there's a product for this problem. It's made by BG ... the same company that makes Frigi-Fresh®, which I use every time I change the cabin air filter. It's called Frigi-Clean® and it works in a dramatic manner. Frigi-Clean is injected into the evaporator case, which fills with foam to clean away whatever is causing the smell.

Here's a video about how to use Frigi-Clean first to clean the system, then Frigi-Fresh after it is clean to keep it that way.

He doesn't show it in action, but this guy does on a Honda minivan ... you'll have to listen to his spiel first!

Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-29-13, 06:06 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't turn your AC off before you turn the car off then you might get condensation in the ducts - after all the ducts are colder and it will condensate by the law of physics!

One workaround is to turn your AC off couple minutes before you are going to park and let the blower suck in some outside air so the ducts aren't that cold. If that's too much of an inconvenience then you can spray stuff which gets rid of the smell.
Old 09-05-13, 06:46 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

There must be a design flaw with the GX/Prado/4Runner AC systems. Lots of complaints about this moldy smell issue, especially on the 4Runner forums. Doesn't seem to happen as often to other Toyota/Lexus products. And I never have this problem in my current car, and I run AC in recirc mode until I shut the car off.....
Old 09-06-13, 03:07 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by SecPole14
There must be a design flaw with the GX/Prado/4Runner AC systems. Lots of complaints about this moldy smell issue, especially on the 4Runner forums. Doesn't seem to happen as often to other Toyota/Lexus products. And I never have this problem in my current car, and I run AC in recirc mode until I shut the car off.....
Wouldn't a design flaw affect all units for that model? I'm thinking this is more a 'hygiene' issue ... too much moisture combined with an accumulation of debris could make any vehicle's air conditioning system stink. I would be interested in hearing from owners who park in a garage, wash their vehicles frequently and drive predominantly in good weather, yet have this problem.

I'm not blaming owners who have this problem ... just trying to understand why some do and some don't.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-06-13, 05:45 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Wouldn't a design flaw affect all units for that model? I'm thinking this is more a 'hygiene' issue ... too much moisture combined with an accumulation of debris could make any vehicle's air conditioning system stink. I would be interested in hearing from owners who park in a garage, wash their vehicles frequently and drive predominantly in good weather, yet have this problem.

I'm not blaming owners who have this problem ... just trying to understand why some do and some don't.
Regards,

SaniDel
I agree, I would also like to know why some do and some don't.

For the people who do have this problem, I would like to know such things as:

-How often do you drive the GX?
-How far do you drive the GX?
-Is the AC/blower shut off before starting/shutting off the car, or is it always "on"?

I've been driving in the swampy Southeast for 10+ years, Subarus, Fords, my family owns Lexus and Toyota, all the cars and ACs gots lots of daily use, never encountered these sorts of problems so I really am curious as to what causes it.....................................................................
Old 09-07-13, 09:35 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
I agree, I would also like to know why some do and some don't.

For the people who do have this problem, I would like to know such things as:

-How often do you drive the GX?
-How far do you drive the GX?
-Is the AC/blower shut off before starting/shutting off the car, or is it always "on"?

I've been driving in the swampy Southeast for 10+ years, Subarus, Fords, my family owns Lexus and Toyota, all the cars and ACs gots lots of daily use, never encountered these sorts of problems so I really am curious as to what causes it.....................................................................
Mine is garaged and washed by hand all the time. I don't have this problem and I live in
Missouri/ the Midwest...

Last edited by Craig B; 09-07-13 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-07-13, 12:28 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Mine is not garaged but washed usually 2 times a week, always once a week. Interior is spotless, exterior is spotless. I'm a nut when it comes to keeping my vehicles clean.
Old 09-07-13, 02:29 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

May I make a suggestion? Thanks!

Inspect your cabin air filter. It's easy to access inside the glove box. Open the glove box door, remove the manual, unsnap the filter cover and pull the filter, taking note of its orientation. Give it a good look and a 'sniff' ... any problems?

The cabin air filter is your first line of defense and it should trap any large particles such as leaves, bugs, etc. If it is dirty and especially if it is smelly ... replace it, but get a can of Frigi-Fresh from BG Products and give the new filter a good spraying. The Frigi-Fresh will make the filter 'tacky' and that keeps the smaller particles from getting through to the coils.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html

Although our Lexus dealer does all our service, keeping a clean filter handy is my only concession to self-maintenance. If something 'nasty' happens ... bird droppings that wash down the air intake, a cloud of dust or leaves in the Fall ... I'll check the cabin air filter and replace if it is soiled.

The Toyota part number for the cabin air filter is:

87139-07010

You can order it at:

http://www.toyotapart.com/87139-07010.html

If that doesn't solve the problem, you may have to consider the "Frigi-Clean" solution, but it is drastic and appears messy as we've seen in minivan video.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-07-13, 03:31 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked up a product similar to Frigi-Clean on Amazon. One reviewer with an Acura claimed the foam came out of a vent and caused every light on his dashboard to go off. This product seems to have good reviews and is less invasive. Turn on the AC, lock the top, shut the door. einszett 911104 Klima-Cleaner Easy-To-Use (ETU) - 6.8 fl. oz.

Old 09-10-13, 03:44 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That smell is coming from your cabin air filter, 2001 LS430 is behind the bottom glove box. Pull out the back of the box, lift up, now you'll see the door to your filter, white, 3" tall x 12" long-push in on the plastic arrow bottom tabs, swing the bottom upwards. slide out the black plastic tray holding the filter. Buy the filter anywhere, Autozone, ect. There is also a filter for the back seat, located in the trunk, I believe? More expensive. Good luck. Don't spray anything onto your cabin filter unless you like inhaling chemicals. Also, keep an eye on the water level in your radiator. I've noticed low water can cause smells in the AC system and also reduce your cabin heating ability.

Quick Reply: Whats that smell?