maintenance on 2011 GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 06:59 AM
danwguys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance on 2011 GX 460

Hello,

What would the maintenance cost on 2011 GX 460 premium, we had ES350 2010 before and every time we went for oil change its about $120, plus the 30K was about $1200+, is it worth buying any prepaid maintenance package from the dealer?, we just got our but they said we have 3 days to add any packages.

Also, we are got a 3 years, 100K miles warranty. In 3 years we might not drive 100K miles, is it worth getting any extended warranty from lexus?

Thank you much for your help.
Old 07-24-13, 07:56 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I go to the dealer for my recommended maintenance even though they charge $100 plus for an oil change (10 quarts of synthetic) and $30 for a rotation since they seem to goodwill some stuff if necessary for some things that are not covered under warranty. The oil change is every 10k miles and tire rotation is every 5k miles so it still doesn't amount to much. The 30k mile service includes air/cabin filters and brake fluid change as well. The air and cabin filter you can get cheap from Sewell Lexus with the CL discount and I do that myself since it is so easy and they charge so much for it. I let them change the oil and brake fluid and rotate the tires and it should be under $500 for all of that. After that it is the same schedule through 60k with the addition of height control fluid. To me the cost is not that much. You have to figure out if the maintenance package is worth it. What are the terms of the maintenance package?

Last edited by patgilm; 07-24-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-24-13, 08:10 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I go to the dealer for my recommended maintenance even though they charge $100 plus for an oil change (10 quarts of synthetic) and $30 for a rotation since they seem to goodwill some stuff if necessary for some things that are not covered under warranty. The oil change is every 10k miles and tire rotation is every 5k miles so it still doesn't amount to much. The 30k mile service includes air/cabin filters and brake fluid change as well. The air and cabin filter you can get cheap from Sewell Lexus with the CL discount and I do that myself since it is so easy and they charge so much for it. I let them change the oil and brake fluid and rotate the tires and it should be under $500 for all of that. After that it is the same schedule through 60k with the addition of height control fluid. To me the cost is not that much. You have to figure out if the maintenance package is worth it. What are the terms of the maintenance package?
Are they charging you for 10 quarts of oil? It only holds 8.2 quarts...
Old 07-24-13, 08:13 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Craig B
Are they charging you for 10 quarts of oil? It only holds 8.2 quarts...
Sorry, you are right my LS is 10 quarts, GX is 8.5 (or to be accurate 8.2).
Old 07-24-13, 08:17 AM
danwguys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suprising

Every time i took the ES350 in, it was always $120 - $150 for regular 5K maintenance. And the 30K was whooping $1200, i thought GX would be more expensive. Good to know oil change is only 10K miles. I hope the airfilters are int eh cabin somewhere and dont need mechanical tools to get to them :-)

I didn't ask for details, they said if you are always interested you can come back and have 3 days. I denied it by default (bad habit), i have maintenance package on my BMW and doesn't add much.
Old 07-24-13, 08:26 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

At $30 every 5K miles you would be better off not rotating them, let them wear and get a new set of tires at Costco and get the free balance and rotation. You would be good for 100K miles.

Koz
Old 07-24-13, 11:00 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
At $30 every 5K miles you would be better off not rotating them, let them wear and get a new set of tires at Costco and get the free balance and rotation. You would be good for 100K miles.

Koz
You are probably right. That is what I am doing with my LS since I don't like the tires I have on there now and will replace them shortly. How long should the OEM Michelin's last? I had the Bridgestones on my last GX and they lasted until I traded it in at 50k but they needed to be replaced. I like the tires you have on your GX and is probably what I will buy when I need to. What do you mean I would be good for 100k miles?
Old 07-24-13, 11:58 AM
Koz

You could get 30K good miles and then they would fade quickly. So, 30K on OEMs and maybe 70/80K on LTXMS2s will get you 100K miles.

Koz
Old 07-25-13, 01:03 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We just turned 35,000 on our original set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP's and we expect to replace them this Fall, but not because they need replacing ... we just feel safer riding on full tread depth. We've rotated them front to back every 6 months/6,000 miles when the GX goes in for service and the spare is unused. We'll buy three new tires to match the spare and use the best of the old tires for the spare.

We don't tow nor approach the load capacity of either people or cargo so we don't need the advantages the LTXMS2s offer for those who do.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-26-13, 07:19 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by SaniDel
We just turned 35,000 on our original set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP's and we expect to replace them this Fall, but not because they need replacing ... we just feel safer riding on full tread depth. We've rotated them front to back every 6 months/6,000 miles when the GX goes in for service and the spare is unused. We'll buy three new tires to match the spare and use the best of the old tires for the spare.

We don't tow nor approach the load capacity of either people or cargo so we don't need the advantages the LTXMS2s offer for those who do.
Regards,

SaniDel
The LTX MS2 also comes in a passenger "P rated" tire. They will last twice as long as the OEM tire, at approx the same cost. In addition, they are rated better is ALL categories. Best SUV tire I have ever used and I have used just about all on the market, though many years and different vehicles. I wish they were available when I had my supercharged Taco!

My personal opinion - The LTX MS2s have make a HUGE difference in all driving dynamics. I highly recommend them!

Koz
Old 07-26-13, 07:33 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's hard to argue with success and I appreciate hearing of your good experience with LTX MS2s, Koz!

You are a lot harder on tires than me ... I don't tow, carry heavy loads or compete in off-road contests, plus I drive a bit easier than you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-mileage.html

What I value is a smooth, quiet and stable ride at all speeds. The OEM Latitude Tour HP tires provide that, especially if inflated to at least 40 PSI ... I learned that from you. When we first got our GX we kept them at 32 PSI as recommended on the door sticker ... the ride was even smoother and quieter, but not stable enough, especially at hight speeds.

We have an unused spare so we only need to buy three more to have a complete set of new tires, plus a worn, but useful spare. I'll let the forum know how that goes later this Fall.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. One more kudo for the Michelin Latitude Tour HP OEM tires ... they hold air better than any tire I've owned! Only extreme temperature changes causes the tire to lose or gain pressure and I seldom if ever need to add air. I check them once a month in the cool of the morning ... they're always at 40 PSI.
Old 07-26-13, 08:12 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The LTX MS2 also comes in a passenger "P rated" tire. They will last twice as long as the OEM tire, at approx the same cost. In addition, they are rated better is ALL categories. Best SUV tire I have ever used and I have used just about all on the market, though many years and different vehicles. I wish they were available when I had my supercharged Taco!

My personal opinion - The LTX MS2s have make a HUGE difference in all driving dynamics. I highly recommend them!

Koz
Once again I have to agree w/ Koz. I have run many many types of tires on SUV's over the years and while I love the Nitto Terra Grapplers for a "Truck" type SUV I think the LTX MS2's are the best quiet, long lasting and good looking tires I have ever run and I can't wait to put them on my GX.
Old 07-26-13, 10:29 AM
Koz

I had the HPs from new and there was a noticeable difference with the LTXs (smoother, more responsive and just as quiet) . Just a better overall ride.

Think about this; The LTXs are approx $40 per tire cheaper, should last twice as long and is an overall better tire!.

Koz
Old 07-26-13, 12:47 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

^^^ Seems like a no brainer.
Old 07-26-13, 05:23 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with Koz - that's what I will be replacing my OEM's with next spring.

Quick Reply: maintenance on 2011 GX 460