GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

If your looking at getting a 2013...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 10:22 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If your looking at getting a 2013...

Better get it now. Best colors are available now before the 2014's come out and they run out of 2013's. I know some of you are waiting until the 2014's come out to see the redesign, but right now, Lexus is giving awesome deals on the 2013's near or below dealer invoice. If the redesign isn't a big deal, then you can save 1000's because 2014's will have little or no discounts for a while.

And no, I'm not in sales :-)
The following users liked this post:
Yellow6900 (12-11-21)
Old 07-14-13, 10:27 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been thinking about the 2013's as well. I'm very curious to see what the 2014 GX looks and what it offers. I'm sure it'll have an updated navigation, spindle grill treatment, a few tweaks on the outside and inside. I don't it's grow in size. Can't wait to see what the 2014 GX.
Old 07-15-13, 08:00 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The changes will probably be comparable to what happened to LX 2008 -> 2013. A number of exterior/interior updates but the same vehicle underneath.
Old 07-15-13, 08:29 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if i were in market for suv, i would consider getting a used LX instead of this.
A used LX from 08-011 can be had much cheaper than a new gx.
something to think about.
i have thought about selling mine and getting an LX
Old 07-15-13, 08:56 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I am in the market.

So I have looked at almost every make and model in this segment, and have decided on either the new GX or a used LX. Here's the concern though. The new GX should look like the remainder of the fleet with led running and spindle grille and so forth. I'm just not sure about the sideways door and narrow width of the interior. I do like the idea of 15/20 mpg. I would only consider a 13' LX, as it has the HID's standard for the first time and most I've seen down here were ordered by SET with PCS and DCC. The extra room is areally nice as well. What sucks is the 12/17 mpg. The split tailgate sucks, but at least the power side of it, keeps you dry when it is raining. Anyway, I would like to read your comments on your life with the GX in comparison?

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 07-15-13 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 01:06 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
So I have looked at almost every make and model in this segment, and have decided on either the new GX or a used LX. Here's the concern though. The new GX should look like the remainder of the fleet with led running and spindle grille and so forth. I'm just not sure about the sideways door and narrow width of the interior. I do like the idea of 15/20 mpg. I would only consider a 13' LX, as it has the HID's standard for the first time and most I've seen down here were ordered by SET with PCS and DCC. The extra room is areally nice as well. What sucks is the 12/17 mpg. The split tailgate sucks, but at least the power side of it, keeps you dry when it is raining. Anyway, I would like to read your comments on your life with the GX in comparison?

Randy B
Thanks for the invitation to comment on life with a GX, Randy B!

We owned six LX, starting with the LX 450 in 1996. The GX is like the LX 470 ... perfected! We could not stay with the LX when it became the 570 as it got too big for our needs ... be sure you need that large a vehicle before buying.

The side swing rear door is tolerable, especially since the rear window pops open for loading and unloading. I've been able to pull a case of wine through the window, but it's a stretch ... literally. The high cargo floor allows you to reach through the window to the floor. That combined with a cargo net means there are few times we need to open the swinging door as most packages go in and out through the rear window.

The 2nd row seats slide forward about 6", which means another row of upright suitcases can fit into the cargo area. Of course, that would squeeze the passengers in the 2nd row ... you can take passengers or lots of cargo ... just not both. Here's a thread about how to utilize that extra space, including a picture of how much cargo can fit in a GX:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...for-cargo.html

You want a V-8 powered, 4WD, body-on-frame, luxury SUV ... and good gas mileage? Well, you're in luck! The GX is probably the most efficient of other vehicles in that category as this picture shows:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-mileage.html

May I presume from your comment that you never owned a vehicle with a split tailgate? Of all the rear door designs for SUV's, I think it is the best. The upper gate is small enough and light enough to lift easily, which was the design on the LX 450 and 470. Why the LX 570 needs a power rear lift gate eludes me ... that sounds like something a soccer mom wants for a minivan. If you host tailgate parties it is ideal ... either as a fold-down table or a seat-for-two with a sunshade!

Thanks again for the invitation to comment, good luck on your decision and stay tuned for what Lexus introduces for 2014, which should be an incremental change ... enough for you to wait while you consider your decision, but not enough to entice current owners to trade ... at least not this current owner.*
Regards,

SaniDel

* unless Lexus "pulls a rabbit out of their hat" and offers a split rear gate on the GX!
Old 07-15-13, 01:14 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After having a SUV with Split rear doors (Barn Doors) I would never own one again. The center section of the doors where they latch together make a very large blind spot. My last 2 vehicles had a liftgate and my last one was a powered liftgate. I miss the power liftgate just for those times where your hands are full and you have your keys in your hand all you do is push the button and load, you can open it before you get there and also provides a dry place to load or sit in bad weather. I don't really dislike the door on the GX but I do think the power liftgate is the best. Just my opinion after having 3 types of doors on SUV's.
Old 07-15-13, 03:43 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a BMW X5 (E70) before the GX. The rear door was the kind that lifts up. It was infamous for rattling. i think everyone here knows how annoying an unfixable rattle iis. The rear door on my GX is silent and I love it.
Old 07-16-13, 05:08 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
After having a SUV with Split rear doors (Barn Doors) I would never own one again. The center section of the doors where they latch together make a very large blind spot. My last 2 vehicles had a liftgate and my last one was a powered liftgate. I miss the power liftgate just for those times where your hands are full and you have your keys in your hand all you do is push the button and load, you can open it before you get there and also provides a dry place to load or sit in bad weather. I don't really dislike the door on the GX but I do think the power liftgate is the best. Just my opinion after having 3 types of doors on SUV's.
If you are talking about split rear doors with a vertical 'seam' where the two panels meet, I agree. It would seem the view from the inside rear view mirror would be seriously impaired. Fortunately, it is not an option Lexus has offered ... it seems more suitable for panel vans used for deliveries.

May I assume from your comment that you haven't owned a vehicle with a "horizontally-split rear gate" like the LX? They are uncommon ... the BMW X vehicles and some Land Rovers offer them, which tells me they are exclusive due to cost or design issues. They offer several advantages over one-piece lift gates like on the RX and one-piece side-swing doors like the GX while avoiding the visibility problems you described with horizontally-split rear doors like on many panel vans.

As to having one with the upper half powered I can't say, but we enjoyed the manual version on the six LX we owned. There is a thread on the LX 570 forum about problems with the powered version at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...ay-closed.html

My opinion ... Lexus will reserve the "horizontally-split rear gate" for the LX as a way of maintaining its exclusivity ... not that it isn't already exclusive enough! Between its price, availability and robust demand in overseas markets, the LX "turns heads".
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-16-13, 01:49 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I found out today the 14's won't be out until October. I did find out, it will have the generation 8 navigation with HD radio and HD weather. LED running lights the salesman didn't really have that much info...

Last edited by Craig B; 07-16-13 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-21-13, 07:10 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig B
I found out today the 14's won't be out until October. I did find out, it will have the generation 8 navigation with HD radio and HD weather. LED running lights the salesman didn't really have that much info...
If that's the case I would guess that the order/price sheets for the '14 GX should be out by late August??
Old 07-22-13, 09:56 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
If that's the case I would guess that the order/price sheets for the '14 GX should be out by late August??
No idea, I will post more when I hear from my dealer, I want one...
Old 07-22-13, 10:06 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Craig B
No idea, I will post more when I hear from my dealer, I want one...
Please do. I am interested as well.

I'm hoping the rumored small style changes/small updates are true, and pricing/options stays the same. Or at least doesn't increase by more than $700-800.
Old 07-22-13, 10:26 AM
05Mdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im waiting until IS-F prices come down.. no 2013s for me..
Old 07-22-13, 10:33 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05Mdriver
Im waiting until IS-F prices come down.. no 2013s for me..
Wrong forum?