GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 02:29 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems

Broke my leg in February and just started driving again. For a month the GX sat, then it was placed on a battery tender. Took it off the tender Friday and it started right up. Left it overnight and couldn't start up. My fault for leaving it for a month. Anyway, looked up an OEM battery on Sewell's site. With discount 713.39 for the Panasonic! Did a little research and picked up a Sears Diehard Platinum. 710CCA and it's a perfect fit. Also 4 year full replacement warranty. So, if your battery dies, and you're looking for a good fitting, quality replacement, I can recommend the Diehard Platinum.
Old 05-12-13, 02:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen the cost of a oem Panasonic at over $900 too.
I can't see what is so special about the Panasonic battery.
I usually go with Interstate even though there's only 2-3 battery manufacturers.
Old 05-12-13, 04:19 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
Broke my leg in February and just started driving again. For a month the GX sat, then it was placed on a battery tender. Took it off the tender Friday and it started right up. Left it overnight and couldn't start up. My fault for leaving it for a month. Anyway, looked up an OEM battery on Sewell's site. With discount 713.39 for the Panasonic! Did a little research and picked up a Sears Diehard Platinum. 710CCA and it's a perfect fit. Also 4 year full replacement warranty. So, if your battery dies, and you're looking for a good fitting, quality replacement, I can recommend the Diehard Platinum.
I replaced mine with an Interstate battery. I sent the invoice to Lexus and they covered it under warranty. I had a bad cell in my battery. I went to the Toyota dealer and had it installed.
Old 05-13-13, 04:03 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the battery on my previous GX (2004) at the dealer and it was about $130. They used an OEM "Lexus" brand (it did have the Lexus sticker on it) and when I asked who made their battery they said Interstate. I am surprised, actually shocked that any battery would cost over $700!!
Old 05-14-13, 04:58 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I only use Interstate batteries.

Koz
Old 05-14-13, 12:14 PM
rockydog
Driver

If you use a battery branded Interstate, Costco, Sears, Duralast, Optima and a few others, your using a battery made by Johnson Controls.
Old 05-14-13, 07:02 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you use a battery branded Interstate, Costco, Sears, Duralast, Optima and a few others, your using a battery made by Johnson Controls.
I've used the Costco brand numerous times, great price, no issues and consumers gave them great ratings.
Old 05-15-13, 04:11 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Even though they are all made by Johnson Controls they were made to different specs.

As Eppieguy stated, Costco batteries are the best bang for the buck (and rated among the best).

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 05-15-13 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-15-13, 02:04 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The Battery on my 2010 gx went dead a couple of weeks ago and the dealer gave me a new one for free. The battery was under warranty. Is your car stil under warranty?
Old 05-15-13, 02:58 PM
rockydog
Driver

Originally Posted by jaleels
The Battery on my 2010 gx went dead a couple of weeks ago and the dealer gave me a new one for free. The battery was under warranty. Is your car stil under warranty?
It is but honesty prevents me from using the warranty. I was out of commission for a month and let it go flat. Doing a search on this forum it seems the Panasonic battery can fail as soon as 3 years. The Diehard I bought is a better battery technology (AGM), has more CCA's, and a no deductible 4 year warranty so I can't complain.

Last edited by rockydog; 05-15-13 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tonyjh63 (06-21-20)
Old 05-15-13, 05:53 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is but honesty prevents me from using the warranty. I was out of commission for a month and let it go flat. Doing a search on this forum it seems the Panasonic battery can fail as soon as 3 years. The Diehard I bought is a better battery technology (AGM), has more CCA's, and a no deductible 4 year warranty so I can't complain.
Honesty? What would be dishonest about it. So what if it sat unused, it still should be covered under warranty. Nothing dishonest about that.
tonyjh63 (06-21-20)
Old 05-16-13, 08:53 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Honesty? What would be dishonest about it. So what if it sat unused, it still should be covered under warranty. Nothing dishonest about that.
Exactly. I don't even know why the battery would go bad/dead after not using the car for a month. My Viper had a 7 year old battery in it and it would sit sometimes longer than that without a battery tender hooked up and it still started up without any problems and it was a factory Mopar battery, nothing special. Even if your battery died that quickly it shouldn't have gone bad that quickly which is why the warranty should have been used.
tonyjh63 (06-21-20)
Old 05-16-13, 11:16 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to replace the battery under warranty.

If that doesn't work, you can get one from Costco for less than $150 or so. I would personally recommend to go with Optima Red or Yellow batteries, which are excellent.
Old 05-16-13, 12:42 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by andreys
Try to replace the battery under warranty.

If that doesn't work, you can get one from Costco for less than $150 or so. I would personally recommend to go with Optima Red or Yellow batteries, which are excellent.
They don't make an Optima battery that will work on the GX 460. If I can remember, the posts are of the wrong side. I looked into it when I needed a battery....
Old 05-16-13, 01:00 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
They don't make an Optima battery that will work on the GX 460. If I can remember, the posts are of the wrong side. I looked into it when I needed a battery....
Either Red Top 35 or Yellow Top D35 will fit. Make sure you use the supplied tray.

If you need post reversed, you can get an extension (a few bucks at any auto store) or locate RedTop 35R or Yellow Top D35R. The last letter R stand for "reversed" terminals.

Quick Reply: Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems