GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Power Loss / Shut down

Old 05-07-13, 07:32 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Loss / Shut down

While driving to work this morning driving about 25 MPH and increasing speed gradually in traffic the lane I was traveling came to a sudden stop, I slammed on the brakes, ABS took over and I steered around the stopped lane of traffic with no issue. Here comes the problem, I never stopped rolling and traffic was coming up behind me in the lane that I just went in to and I stepped on the gas pedal and got nothing, truck was running, no lights or warnings just a dead gas pedal. This only lasted maybe 5 seconds and then it went but it was totally dead no matter how hard I stepped on the gas and vehicles were beeping at me from behind me. It finally went (5 seconds seems awful long when cars are approaching fast from behind) and it drove fine from there on. I guess I plan on trying to recreate this issue but thought maybe there is something with these trucks that caused this that I don't know about?
Old 05-07-13, 06:28 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if at the split second it felt pressure on the brake and gas at the same time. If I am not mistaken if both are pressed at the same time it causes loss of power. It stems back to the floor mats catching on both pedals of other Toyota cars. I am just guess on this but is sounds like it could be the case.
Old 05-09-13, 06:14 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

During a panic stop many nannies could kick in (brake assist, stability control, anti-lock, etc). I would think the VSC kicked in and momentarily killed the throttle. The traction and stability control will kill the engine when engaged. These features are life saving but you need to get used to the way they operate and when to be careful under low traction conditions.

Koz