GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX - New body style

Old 07-19-13, 11:25 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I do know that for marketing purposes, Lexus is considering the '14 GX to be a "new model launch."

I used to work for Lexus corporate and recently asked a source there, and he said to expect a heavy refresh similar to what they did with the 2013 LS and specifically noted spindle grille, LED DRLs, Remote Touch, redesigned dashboard, new wheels and plenty of other small interior and exterior tweaks.

My sense is that Lexus wants to let the dust settle on the 2014 IS launch and we will get details on the 2014 GX in the next 4-6 weeks.

I wish we would get the 5.7L V8 as an option
I've also been told, it will have the 8th generation navigation system.

Last edited by Craig B; 07-19-13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-21-13, 01:13 PM
Craig B

I would also like to see an 8 speed transmission. Maybe on the F Sport? Also, auto folding mirrors as well...
Old 07-21-13, 03:50 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the frame would have to be beefed up for a 5.7L v8 option
not likely at all.

im expecting a LX type of refresh for GX.
they badly need to redo the current wheels - cant stand the curvy 6 spoke nature of them
Old 07-22-13, 06:38 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the frame would have to be beefed up for a 5.7L v8 option
not likely at all.

im expecting a LX type of refresh for GX.
they badly need to redo the current wheels - cant stand the curvy 6 spoke nature of them
I do not think the GX would any problem with the 5.7 considering they use the turbo diesel (with more torque) in the same framed Prado.

Koz
Old 07-22-13, 08:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that the 5.7L V8 will come to the GX, but even Toyota's 4.0L V6 makes just 30 hp less than the GX. It would be nice to see them bump up the HP (~340) to be more competitive, and add an 8AT for better gas mileage. Those two things alone would really go a long way, IMO.

A little more power and efficiency, with an LX-like refresh would be incredible.
Old 07-22-13, 09:54 AM
Craig B

It will have HD audio as well as HD weather...
Old 07-22-13, 10:18 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I like the current GX460 pretty much just the way it is, 97%. I hope they don't mess with it too much for the 2014 model year. I would possibly be interested in ordering one.

Only thing it should have standard rather than optional are parking sensors.
Old 07-22-13, 07:50 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I like the current GX460 pretty much just the way it is, 97%. I hope they don't mess with it too much for the 2014 model year. I would possibly be interested in ordering one.

Only thing it should have standard rather than optional are parking sensors.
They are pretty much on every vehicle you see on the lot. Yes, option, but still on every vehicle. Kinda like a Navigation. You really can't find a GX without one.
Old 07-23-13, 07:02 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I hope they add Flaxen as an interior choice for 2014, like with the IS and GS. Such a rich color.
Old 07-23-13, 08:06 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tazdevl
I'm not sure how you think your dealer, a salesman there no less, has an inside line on the 14s. You have people on this forum that bought their vehicles at some of the largest dealerships in the US, some of which are in LA and could be considered Lexus HQ neighbors. If I'm going to test the waters, doesn't make much sense to go across the country initially for feedback when you have potential resources in your back yard.

The majority of sales people don't even know the vehicles they are selling. The GX is on a 6 year product cycle and they're still selling well. Makes no sense for "significant updates" since it ain't broke. They may go spindle grill to align with all the other vehicles in the line and toss in the new infotainment system (which is a turd IMO)... beyond that, more chrome bits and a new color or two. In the end, I don't consider any of it to be a significant update, it's all aesthetic and typical mid-year life cycle refreshes.

If Lexus added terrain select, 4 corner air suspension, turbo, 5.7L or diesel, unibody,independent rear suspension, split lift gate, increased the size etc... that would get my attention.
Why are you jumping on his case? "Significant updates" could mean a resigned (spindle) grille, interior updates, etc. Others have said the same thing.

SOMEBODY at Lexus must know SOMETHING about the 2014s...maybe that information did trickle down to a dealer or two through Lexus regional reps, etc.

NOBODY is saying that the 2014 is going to be a redesign, just that "significant" changes will be made, i.e. changes that will make it stand out from the 2013 and prior models. That's all. It was a perfectly reasonable post. Sheesh.
Old 07-23-13, 08:11 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
They are pretty much on every vehicle you see on the lot. Yes, option, but still on every vehicle. Kinda like a Navigation. You really can't find a GX without one.
every single gx ive seen has the parking assist. it shouldnt be quoted as an option, because its really standard item. You cant back this thing up without some view in the back.

the navigation ive seen a few gxs without.
besides, these navis get quite outdated quick, so we never going to buy another vehicle wiht this again.
why cant everyone just do what tesla does? put a damn tablet console to control everything..
Old 07-23-13, 08:39 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

My personal opinion is that for what you pay for a factory nav, updates should be FREE for life. You can get free updates on a $100 GPS system. Also, a couple hundred dollars for an update is ridiculous!

ARE YOU LISTENING LEXUS!

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 07-31-13 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-23-13, 11:44 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I doubt that the 5.7L V8 will come to the GX, but even Toyota's 4.0L V6 makes just 30 hp less than the GX. It would be nice to see them bump up the HP (~340) to be more competitive, and add an 8AT for better gas mileage. Those two things alone would really go a long way, IMO.

A little more power and efficiency, with an LX-like refresh would be incredible.
This is what I like to see on the 2014 GX (also better wheels design).....
Old 07-23-13, 11:58 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
My personal opinion is that for what you pay for a factory nav, updates should be FREE for life. You can get free updates on a $100 GPS system. Also, a couple hundred dollars for an update is ridiculous!

ARE YOU LISTING LEXUS!

Koz
Yeah, not to mention to latest $300 top of the line Garmin units have free traffic for life!
Old 07-23-13, 01:54 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HP is indeed an interesting story. From one hand 303HP for 4.6L V8 indeed doesn't sound like much. But on the other hand it's a de-tunded truck engine. Ever noticed how Ford Super Duty have way less HP than Ford Raptor even though both have the same 6.2L engine? Apparently SD engine is further de-tunded to support harder working conditions as a truck. Perhaps that may explain some of the gap GX has with the crossovers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 GX - New body style