GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX - New body style

Old 05-01-13, 04:42 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by iguy
My wife and I test drove the 2013 GX and liked it...we just didn't love it. First off there was absolutely no acceleration whatsoever. I expected way more out of the engine than what was produced. The fuel economy was another disappointment. C'mon man, bad acceleration/power AND bad fuel efficiency? I expect to have my cake and eat it too with a luxury SUV that costs $60k+!! I sure hope Lexus changes A LOT of things on the 2014 GX (enhanced engine performance, improved ride quality, lose the manual side swinging tailgate, better 3rd row accessibility, updated enform capabilities, better interior quality, etc) other than just the grill and LED lights. I'm an easy sell if they update some of the primary issues GX owners have complained about. If there aren't some major changes on the 2014 model, they've lost out on my $60+k.
i thought the same thing initially.
but you have to remember, its basically a truck, and it takes a while to get used to.
if you really gun the pedal, it will take off, not like an infiniti or bmw, but it does take off..

the ride quality is damn good for body on frame suv.
go drive a 4runner for comparison, and you will see..
Old 05-01-13, 04:44 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Had our RX350 serviced today at our local Lexus dealer and while I was in there I asked the service manager about the 2014 GX's. He said there was a total body change in the works for the GX and that Lexus is also coming out with a smaller SUV similar to a RAV 4. We almost pulled the trigger on a new loaded 2013 GX but I am glad we didn't after hearing this information. Has anybody else heard any new news about the new 2014 GX?
dealers dont know how to tie their own shoes.
why?
one lexus dealer told me the gx was basically a luxury highlander.
do your own research and youre better off
Old 05-05-13, 04:10 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

My wife and I test drove the 2013 GX and liked it...we just didn't love it. First off there was absolutely no acceleration whatsoever. I expected way more out of the engine than what was produced. The fuel economy was another disappointment. C'mon man, bad acceleration/power AND bad fuel efficiency? I expect to have my cake and eat it too with a luxury SUV that costs $60k+!! I sure hope Lexus changes A LOT of things on the 2014 GX (enhanced engine performance, improved ride quality, lose the manual side swinging tailgate, better 3rd row accessibility, updated enform capabilities, better interior quality, etc) other than just the grill and LED lights. I'm an easy sell if they update some of the primary issues GX owners have complained about. If there aren't some major changes on the 2014 model, they've lost out on my $60+k.
Find a low mileage 100 Series. They are designed for a 25 year service life and good for 500k miles with normal maintance. I think they are perfect size and the last of the good looking truck based SUV's.
Old 05-18-13, 06:53 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

No leaked photos yet?

My dealer just made me a outstanding offer on a new GX. I'd sure like to see what the new one looks like..

Anyone have an idea on when we will see pictures?
Old 05-18-13, 07:36 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
No leaked photos yet?

My dealer just made me a outstanding offer on a new GX. I'd sure like to see what the new one looks like..

Anyone have an idea on when we will see pictures?
What was the offer?
Old 05-18-13, 08:40 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max707
What was the offer?
PM sent.......
Old 05-25-13, 07:19 PM
WhyNotMe01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have been holding out getting the 2013 GX since never like the design.

Need some leak photos!
Old 05-25-13, 09:22 PM
KickinA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GrdnRxR , could you tell me what the deal was also? I'm in the market for a GX :-)

thanks
Old 05-27-13, 12:03 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to be waiting another 2-3 years before a redesign. There's another tread regarding this topic (titled "unibody GX) and as others have said, dealers know jack about upcoming products.
Old 05-31-13, 10:24 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KickinA
GrdnRxR , could you tell me what the deal was also? I'm in the market for a GX :-)

thanks

I talked to my dealer. My car has a MSRP of 65,5XX and you could have one for 60K plus tax/lic..
Old 05-31-13, 10:27 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Are there any structural differences between the 4runner and the GX460?
Old 06-01-13, 07:02 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The differences between the 4Runner and GX.

6,500 lbs. tow rating (class 3 WD hitch)

Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection (SFI); Electronic

Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i)

Emission Certification ULEV-II

Full time 4WD and TORSEN® Limited Slip with electronic locking feature (only available on LE 4Runner)

Air springs (rear)

Computer controlled Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)

KDSS (standard on all models)

Michelin tires

Integrated front and rear mudguards

Three-coat paint with scratch resistant anti-acid rain clear coat

Integrated illuminated running boards w/ground lighting and Lexus “L” emblem on the scuff plates

Rain-sensing, variable intermittent front windshield wipers w/deicer

Water repellent front doors and windshield glass

Heated, tilt-down in reverse, electrochromic self-dimming outer mirrors with
power auto retract

Roof-mounted shark fin and glass antenna

Auburn Bubinga (real) wood trim on doors, dash, steering wheel, shift ****, above glove box, and on center console

Semi-aniline leather trim with perforated diamond-cut pattern w/contrast stitching

10-way power front seats (with power lumbar)

Heated and ventilated front seats

Rear heat and air conditioning (3 zone auto climate control)

Lexus Memory System for seats, mirrors, steering wheel, climate control and radio setting (system is linked to each FOB for separate user settings)

Second-row heated seats with 40/20/40 split, fold, recline, fore and aft slide adjustment, 60:40 walk-in

Third-row seats with 50/50 split and power fold flat, flush-with-floor (buttons to operate located in the cargo area and by the passenger side second-row seats)

Auto-dimming electrochromic rearview mirror w/compass

Auto leveling HID headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting system w/headlight washers

Electric fuel lid door release

Front and rear door courtesy lights, glove box light, dome light, front map lights, LED front and rear seat footwell, LED door handle well, shift lever and LED console illumination, rear reading lamps.

Reading lamps in 2nd and 3rd row

LED tail lights

Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) set from nav system.

Two speed, auto up/down (all) power windows (slows just before closing)

Power tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel column with automatic tilt away, for easy egress.

Steering wheel–mounted cruise control switches; audio controls; camera controls; multi-systems toggle switch and voice command button for navigation

Tonneau cover

Brake override system

Auto leveling rear air suspension

Rear Seat Entertainment System includes remote control and holder

Intuitive Park Assist

8” HDD Navigation; Lexus Enform® Destination Assist, and eDestination; Lexus Insider™; voice command casual-speech voice recognition system; XM NavTraffic® and NavWeather™; XM Sports and Stocks;

Mark Levinson® Surround Audio with 17 speakers,330 watts of power, all channels driven, @ less than 0.1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), 20-20kHz and DVD/CD changer

Wide-view monitor system - Front, Rear and Side Camera

Pre-Collision System

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control w/Crawl Control

Driver Attention Camera system

Lane Departure Alert

Intelligent high-beams

Koz
Old 06-01-13, 07:50 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are there any structural differences between the 4runner and the GX460?
Koz has detailed the differences, but as your signature indicates you own an LX 470 you will find the GX 460 to be very familiar ... and better. We owned six LX from 1996 until 2005, starting with an LX 450, but ending before the L X570. Our GX 460 is very much like the LX 470 ... perfected.

The GX 460 is slightly smaller than the LX 470, which was crucial to us as we have only a single-car garage that is barely 11' wide. We tried to 'shoehorn' our last LX 470, but it was just too tight so we "went sideways" into an RX 400h until the GX 460 was released.

The GX 460 is smoother, quieter, more powerful and more efficient than the LX 470. The six-speed transmission knows what gear to be in for all but the most drastic situations, e.g., sudden deceleration immediately followed by rapid acceleration ... we don't need that kind of excitement anyway. If you can anticipate what's coming up, e.g., a hill or passing a slow driver, putting the transmission in 'S' mode to limit upshifts is all you need.

For a large, body-on-frame, V-8 vehicle the GX 460 is amazingly quiet and surprisingly agile. It's not a sports car, but it has great compliance on rough roads and can be driven aggressively. Its off-road capability is excellent ... so we have heard, but we don't need that. What we want is a large, quiet, safe and comfortable SUV for road trips, shopping and occasional hosting of friends or family, but usually it is just my wife and me.

Bottom line ... if you like your LX 470, you will like the GX 460. If you want a new LX, but the 570 is too large and too expensive, the GX 460 is your path forward ... it was for us.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-01-13, 12:17 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Koz has detailed the differences, but as your signature indicates you own an LX 470 you will find the GX 460 to be very familiar ... and better. We owned six LX from 1996 until 2005, starting with an LX 450, but ending before the L X570. Our GX 460 is very much like the LX 470 ... perfected.

The GX 460 is slightly smaller than the LX 470, which was crucial to us as we have only a single-car garage that is barely 11' wide. We tried to 'shoehorn' our last LX 470, but it was just too tight so we "went sideways" into an RX 400h until the GX 460 was released.

The GX 460 is smoother, quieter, more powerful and more efficient than the LX 470. The six-speed transmission knows what gear to be in for all but the most drastic situations, e.g., sudden deceleration immediately followed by rapid acceleration ... we don't need that kind of excitement anyway. If you can anticipate what's coming up, e.g., a hill or passing a slow driver, putting the transmission in 'S' mode to limit upshifts is all you need.

For a large, body-on-frame, V-8 vehicle the GX 460 is amazingly quiet and surprisingly agile. It's not a sports car, but it has great compliance on rough roads and can be driven aggressively. Its off-road capability is excellent ... so we have heard, but we don't need that. What we want is a large, quiet, safe and comfortable SUV for road trips, shopping and occasional hosting of friends or family, but usually it is just my wife and me.

Bottom line ... if you like your LX 470, you will like the GX 460. If you want a new LX, but the 570 is too large and too expensive, the GX 460 is your path forward ... it was for us.
Regards,

SaniDel
Good info. I've owned a 1995 FZJ80, 1999 LC, 2- 2004 LX470's and now a 2005 LX470 with about 115k miles on it, so in a few years when I get closer to 200k miles it sounds like the GX460 would be a good replacement.
Old 06-01-13, 12:32 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good info. I've owned a 1995 FZJ80, 1999 LC, 2- 2004 LX470's and now a 2005 LX470 with about 115k miles on it, so in a few years when I get closer to 200k miles it sounds like the GX460 would be a good replacement.
You are welcome. The GX 460 would be an excellent replacement for a 2005 LX 470, which you are happy with and you presumably would be happy with a similar replacement. Wait at least for the next minor update to the GX, which may be for 2014, but more likely a major revision for 2017, which is why I'm waiting. In the meantime ... enjoy your LX, which is what I would be driving ... if it could fit in our garage!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I notice you owned three LX in rapid succession ... two 2004's and now the 2005. You may be interested to know that two of the six LXs we owned were 'replacements' for other LX that developed problems that couldn't be repaired. That can happen to any vehicle, but to get replacement vehicles ... well, that's why we own only Lexus!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 GX - New body style