GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX - New body style

Old 08-27-13, 08:46 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The 4.6 in the GX was tuned to provide a smoother/quieter engine. By requiring premium fuel they were able tune (cam/valve timing) the achieve this, even sacrificing HP.

Koz
well yes likely tuned for torque and MPG efficiency.
this engine however should crank out atleast 400 hp though.
that being said, the 5.7 should also pump out 500 hp in the lx/lc and sequoia, but it doesnt.

the above was not meant to be serious as the guy below took it.
but case in point, any engine can be made for maximum power, torque, etc...

Last edited by T4Fun; 08-28-13 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 09:50 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T4Fun
well yes likely tuned for torque and MPG efficiency.
this engine however should crank out atleast 400 hp though.
that being said, the 5.7 should also pump out 500 hp in the lx/lc and sequoia, but it doesnt
What? Where do you come up with this stuff? What are you basing this on? Show me another naturally aspirated, non-DI 4.6L V8 out there that does substantially better than 300hp/329tq in a similar vehicle.

It's not a sports car. Sure they could tune the 4.6 for 400hp or the 5.7 for 500hp IF it had DI, and it would be a super-peaky, needlessly complex motor that would be totally useless in a proper SUV like the GX. This is why people like you don't get to make the decisions there!

If you want an "SUV" (cough car-based) with big HP, go buy a X6 or X5M, or one of the AMGs. As a current GX owner yourself, I'm surprised you don't seem to "get it".
Old 08-27-13, 04:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Guys knock off the angry tone here... Keep the discussion on the vehicles please. It's ok to question another members perspective as long as done politely (same goes for the reply to that question).
Old 08-28-13, 06:37 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Any engine can be made to produce any amount of HP. You have to understand that every engine's design is carefully calculated for its application. There has to be a balance of enough power, durability, cost, and efficiency. As soon as you put more emphasis on one of these design features it has a negative effect on the others. Toyota has always been conservative with HP to increase durability and efficiency. They could have very easily designed the 4.6 to make more power but smoothness and efficiency were the main concerns when the application is for a heavy luxury SUV. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota/Lexus has the mindset that an engine should be designed to produce just enough HP to be competitive but still be durable and efficient. Having the most HP and being the quickest/fastest vehicle has never been (and probably never will be) their main concern. If that is anyone’s main reason to purchase a particular vehicle Toyota/Lexus is not the manufacture to choose.

There seems to be a lot of talk about direct injection (DI). The fact is DI is not worth the sacrifice of reliability that comes with the system. DI injects fuel directly into the cylinder and bypasses the entire intake system. All engines produce combustion blow back that causes carbon that will build-up in the intake path. Modern fuels are specially formulated (especially Top Tier fuel) to wash this carbon build-up as it passes through the intake system. Look at the IS250 and IS350. The IS250 uses DI and the IS350 uses DI and port injection. The 250 engine (and most all other DI engines) have developed serious carbon build-up issues over a period of time. Whereas the 350 engine has not had a carbon issue because the fuel washes the carbon off using the additional port injection system. The best thing Lexus has done in designing the GX’s engine is NOT use DI. I would think that there will come a day when either they come up with a way to use DI without the carbon problem or design a new simple system that will provide the power and efficiency of DI without the carbon problem.

Koz
Old 08-29-13, 09:16 AM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to getting one asap! I almost bought a 2013 when I was at the dealership picking up my wife's 2013 LS. I am new to Lexus and looking forward to much enjoyment and dependability. I was a loyal Mercedes owner for over 20 years and finally tired of maintenance cost and problems. Personally, I am glad I had waited because the new design is more Lexus than Toyota. My only gripe is I wish it had a better acceleration since I am switching from a C63 amg. However, the finish and comfort of the GX I had tested made my ex-GL premier feel cheap.
Old 08-29-13, 11:32 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by tmldds
I am looking forward to getting one asap! I almost bought a 2013 when I was at the dealership picking up my wife's 2013 LS. I am new to Lexus and looking forward to much enjoyment and dependability. I was a loyal Mercedes owner for over 20 years and finally tired of maintenance cost and problems. Personally, I am glad I had waited because the new design is more Lexus than Toyota. My only gripe is I wish it had a better acceleration since I am switching from a C63 amg. However, the finish and comfort of the GX I had tested made my ex-GL premier feel cheap.
let us know how much you paid over invoice. i am curious to see if the will ask for MSRP, and i doubt anyway that people are willing to may MSRP
Old 08-30-13, 08:40 AM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know how much you paid over invoice. i am curious to see if the will ask for MSRP, and i doubt anyway that people are willing to may MSRP
I do not think I will ever pay over invoice for a car! I expect to get some discount since I just bought an LS460 from the dealer.
Old 08-30-13, 08:59 AM
T4Fun
Racer

I do not think I will ever pay over invoice for a car! I expect to get some discount since I just bought an LS460 from the dealer.
good luck with that.
Old 08-30-13, 09:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

Are you confusing invoice vs. MSRP? Sure I would expect nothing over MSRP but under invoice is going to be tough regardless of whether you just bought an LS460.
Old 08-30-13, 11:56 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by patgilm
Are you confusing invoice vs. MSRP? Sure I would expect nothing over MSRP but under invoice is going to be tough regardless of whether you just bought an LS460.
i always use invoice. amount over that is xtra for dealer, but of course, thats not dealer cost.
ideally, if anyone can figure out the dealer cost, please post it up here.
then lets not forget TDA, which is a bogus charge, but you cant get around it.
Old 08-30-13, 12:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

i always use invoice. amount over that is xtra for dealer, but of course, thats not dealer cost.
ideally, if anyone can figure out the dealer cost, please post it up here.
then lets not forget TDA, which is a bogus charge, but you cant get around it.
I know you aren't confused and I use invoice as a starting point as well. I just have a hard time believing that anyone can get a new refreshed GX for under invoice unless you know someone at the dealer. Some of the higher volume Lexus' sure, but a lower volume vehicle that is just refreshed is hard. I have a friend that was an Acura sales manager and since they were the #2 volume dealer in the nation and the #1 was not far away, they used to actually lose money (under dealer invoice) on some of their cars since they were all about volume and they made up for it in service and manufacturers bonuses. Haven't seen that at Lexus though.
Old 08-30-13, 04:29 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I know you aren't confused and I use invoice as a starting point as well. I just have a hard time believing that anyone can get a new refreshed GX for under invoice unless you know someone at the dealer. Some of the higher volume Lexus' sure, but a lower volume vehicle that is just refreshed is hard. I have a friend that was an Acura sales manager and since they were the #2 volume dealer in the nation and the #1 was not far away, they used to actually lose money (under dealer invoice) on some of their cars since they were all about volume and they made up for it in service and manufacturers bonuses. Haven't seen that at Lexus though.
There is hold back money from the manufacture, so I'm sure they don't take a loss...
Old 08-30-13, 05:54 PM
T4Fun
Racer

just because its under invoice doesnt mean a loss for the dealer.
invoice cost is NOT dealer cost (final cost of car/suv) for dealer.
as he said, there are holdbacks, incentives, etc...

If anyone here can find out true GX cost for a dealer, all the world to you, cause no dealer will ever tell you that as far as Ive seen.

i dont mind paying a few hundred over invoice for a lexus or infiniti (minus the incentives if there are any) to get the car i want
Old 08-30-13, 06:12 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

just because its under invoice doesnt mean a loss for the dealer.
invoice cost is NOT dealer cost (final cost of car/suv) for dealer.
as he said, there are holdbacks, incentives, etc...

If anyone here can find out true GX cost for a dealer, all the world to you, cause no dealer will ever tell you that as far as Ive seen.

i dont mind paying a few hundred over invoice for a lexus or infiniti (minus the incentives if there are any) to get the car i want
You want to make a bet on that? He is a good friend of mine and was a Ford GM for a number of years and is who I go to to get me my Lexus'. Yes they take a loss of up to $2,500 after holdback AND manufacturers incentives. When the #1 and #2 dealers in he nation are less than 10 miles away they are very aggressive and make it up in service, financing, etc.

Just got off the phone with him. He is a GSM of a Mercedes dealer now and they have $10k manufacturers incentives on 2013 E-Class Mercedes right now. Seems like you can get a great deal on one right now.

Last edited by patgilm; 08-30-13 at 06:40 PM.