GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What do I need to know before buying?

Old 11-13-12, 10:56 AM
Myke215
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to know before buying?

I joined this forum because I trust owners. I'm strongly considering a GX. Prior to considering the GX I was inches away from purchasing a new Tahoe, until a guy came in to the very dealer I visiting and traded is Tahoe for an used GX. That caused me to pause. So now my research brings me here. What do I need to know when looking for a per-owned GX?
Old 11-13-12, 11:14 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, not 100% sure how to answer this question. Clearly, many of us will support our already executed decision (buying the GX), are you looking to understand if a current GX owner came from a Tahoe? Then, what advantages of the GX pushed this owner to this decision (not me, BTW). Hard to say what that particular individual's experience was with the Tahoe, but I will say in aggregate that the Lexus platform is one that is more luxurious and likely (on the whole), more reliable than the Chevy.

I want to be as objective as possible (and not blindly defend my purchase of the GX), I have been very satisfied during my short time of ownership (<2 months), are you asking if we have any buyers' remorse? Thanks and good luck! KH
Old 11-14-12, 06:27 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, this one is me.......

I traded in my 2009 Loaded Z71 Tahoe for the 12 GX. I have had a 99, 04 and 09 Tahoes and loved every one of them. I had some pure financial reasons to make a change to a new vehicle but I had a hard time buying a new Tahoe when it would have been exactly what I had already. In the past I had always bought a newer body style, never bought the same body style a second time. The Tahoe will be totally redesigned for the 14 model year and I couldn't wait for late 13 to buy a new vehicle and I didn't want to buy the first year and a total make over on the Tahoe so my search began. No need to get in to my search but the end result was a 12 GX. My feelings are just my feelings but I will tell you that I 100% miss the bigger and more masculine vehicle. I feel like a soccer mom driving the GX. The GX is much more comfortable, quiet, better stereo even without ML over the Tahoe. 3rd row is just about unusable and I put the seats up when I took delivery to make sure they worked but they haven't been back up since, waste of space. The GX has a lot of nice features but I miss the bigger vehicle for sure. MPG is about the same and all repairs are much cheaper on a Chevy and I never really had any issues with the 3 Tahoe's I had. No real regrets to buying the GX but I will look at a Tahoe again when it's time to replace the GX.

GX is a very nice vehicle
Tahoe is a very nice vehicle.

It all depends on your wants and needs. GM always has 0% financing going on, I had to fight to get 2.6% on the Lexus.

Just my .02
Old 11-19-12, 03:39 AM
Myke215
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate both replies. Eppieguy seems to be where I don't want to be. The refinements of the GX are seductive. But if had 3 Tahoe's issued to me as company cars and could not have been happier - so I thought.

I feel like I'm torn between two lovers. Absent body changes, Lexus' age well. My ES has logged nearly 200k miles with only routine maintenance, and zero signs of quitting. Everything works the same as day one. Can the same be said about the Tahoe?
Old 11-20-12, 11:45 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Myke215
I appreciate both replies. Eppieguy seems to be where I don't want to be. The refinements of the GX are seductive. But if had 3 Tahoe's issued to me as company cars and could not have been happier - so I thought.

I feel like I'm torn between two lovers. Absent body changes, Lexus' age well. My ES has logged nearly 200k miles with only routine maintenance, and zero signs of quitting. Everything works the same as day one. Can the same be said about the Tahoe?
I am a moderator at a Tahoe / Suburban forum and we have members with 250k+ Miles and still going. Only real issue they have had is some need transmissions otherwise for the most part if they are taken care of they keep going. Me personally I don't keep a vehicle past 100k, that's just me.
Old 12-28-12, 03:15 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Ok, this one is me.......

I traded in my 2009 Loaded Z71 Tahoe for the 12 GX. I have had a 99, 04 and 09 Tahoes and loved every one of them. I had some pure financial reasons to make a change to a new vehicle but I had a hard time buying a new Tahoe when it would have been exactly what I had already. In the past I had always bought a newer body style, never bought the same body style a second time. The Tahoe will be totally redesigned for the 14 model year and I couldn't wait for late 13 to buy a new vehicle and I didn't want to buy the first year and a total make over on the Tahoe so my search began. No need to get in to my search but the end result was a 12 GX. My feelings are just my feelings but I will tell you that I 100% miss the bigger and more masculine vehicle. I feel like a soccer mom driving the GX. The GX is much more comfortable, quiet, better stereo even without ML over the Tahoe. 3rd row is just about unusable and I put the seats up when I took delivery to make sure they worked but they haven't been back up since, waste of space. The GX has a lot of nice features but I miss the bigger vehicle for sure. MPG is about the same and all repairs are much cheaper on a Chevy and I never really had any issues with the 3 Tahoe's I had. No real regrets to buying the GX but I will look at a Tahoe again when it's time to replace the GX.

GX is a very nice vehicle
Tahoe is a very nice vehicle.

It all depends on your wants and needs. GM always has 0% financing going on, I had to fight to get 2.6% on the Lexus.

Just my .02
Just wondering why you did not get the Caddilac version of the Tahoe?
Old 12-28-12, 03:21 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I suggest you look at a used 100 Series LC/LX bigger vehicle heavy duty build quality. Average owner with normal service can expect 300k+ trouble free miles. Check them out in the LX section or on www.ih8mud.com
Old 12-30-12, 05:31 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max707
Just wondering why you did not get the Caddilac version of the Tahoe?
Easy answer, 75k sticker for a Chevy with a boob job or 61k sticker for a Toyota with a boob job, I couldn't afford the Chevy boob job.
Old 12-30-12, 10:18 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Easy answer, 75k sticker for a Chevy with a boob job or 61k sticker for a Toyota with a boob job, I couldn't afford the Chevy boob job.
I don't know if I agree with your decision? A good boob job is worth the $$$
Old 12-30-12, 06:56 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max707
I don't know if I agree with your decision? A good boob job is worth the $$$
Good point, but I can afford to buy her a few padded bra's now.