GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 05:36 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
I have rust on my chassis, diff case and on some of the frame bolts. Never had that on any other vehicle.
mine was repainted by lexus, now i have fluid film all over the rear axle.

why anyone would go thru this much trouble to save $70 bucks beats me. there is no way to document the oil change also when you run into trouble down the road, so count on Lexus putting up a fight if you have a warranty claim.

when powertrain warranty runs out, thats when I decide to start doing the oil changes myself.

good write up though. not worth it to me to risk the warranty on something so silly as an oil change.

Last edited by T4Fun; 10-10-12 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 06:14 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
mine was repainted by lexus, now i have fluid film all over the rear axle.

why anyone would go thru this much trouble to save $70 bucks beats me. there is no way to document the oil change also when you run into trouble down the road, so count on Lexus putting up a fight if you have a warranty claim.

when powertrain warranty runs out, thats when I decide to start doing the oil changes myself.

good write up though. not worth it to me to risk the warranty on something so silly as an oil change.
Amen to that!

All this work, filth and risk ... for what? To save a few bucks ... and to risk voiding your warranty because you can't prove that you changed the oil and filter yourself!

Sorry, my time is too important and the vehicle warranty is too valuable, but thanks for the pictures to prove my point.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-11-12, 06:34 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the post. I will be changing my oil today for the first time. I have 4400 miles and I just feel more comfortable changing the oil earlier than what is recommended, peace of mind for me. I will have the dealer do the 10K service since it is free but after that I'll probably just do it myself because I enjoy doing my own maint. As for the warranty, dealers can easily tell if the oil has been changed timely and it will be real hard for them to void a warranty due to them not changing the oil. I have worked at dealerships and currently have a friend that owns a high end dealer and he has told me that they can bark real loud and most customers will fold and pay but 9 times out of 10 the manufacture will end up paying. I have seen 2 cases where a person was leasing a vehicle and figured they didnt have to do anything, so no oil was ever changed, motor blew due to lack of and bad oil and both times after a couple of phone calls by the owner the motors were replaced under warranty. I over maintain my vehicles and I do not feel comfortable with 10k oil change intervals so I will be doing it myself more often then recommended.

Just my ..02
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (01-28-21)
Old 10-11-12, 10:40 AM
seahaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Amen to that!

All this work, filth and risk ... for what? To save a few bucks ... and to risk voiding your warranty because you can't prove that you changed the oil and filter yourself!

Sorry, my time is too important and the vehicle warranty is too valuable, but thanks for the pictures to prove my point.
Regards,

SaniDel
If I could get my oil changed for $70 with Mobil 1 Syn I might do it.... Mobil 1 here is $58 per 4.4L.
Old 10-11-12, 10:43 AM
seahaul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Thanks for the post. I will be changing my oil today for the first time. I have 4400 miles and I just feel more comfortable changing the oil earlier than what is recommended, peace of mind for me. I will have the dealer do the 10K service since it is free but after that I'll probably just do it myself because I enjoy doing my own maint. As for the warranty, dealers can easily tell if the oil has been changed timely and it will be real hard for them to void a warranty due to them not changing the oil. I have worked at dealerships and currently have a friend that owns a high end dealer and he has told me that they can bark real loud and most customers will fold and pay but 9 times out of 10 the manufacture will end up paying. I have seen 2 cases where a person was leasing a vehicle and figured they didnt have to do anything, so no oil was ever changed, motor blew due to lack of and bad oil and both times after a couple of phone calls by the owner the motors were replaced under warranty. I over maintain my vehicles and I do not feel comfortable with 10k oil change intervals so I will be doing it myself more often then recommended.

Just my ..02
Exactly! Pride of ownership goes a little past signing a cheque.
The following 3 users liked this post by seahaul:
IanB2 (05-22-21), JALinker (05-27-20), L8Shift (12-28-21)
Old 10-18-12, 07:47 AM
JimboRice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok the pictures would really be helpful for the next time there is a need for an oil change
Old 10-24-12, 11:42 AM
seahaul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimboRice
Ok the pictures would really be helpful for the next time there is a need for an oil change
Jimbo, I started a new thread with the pictures.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...il-change.html
Old 01-12-13, 08:28 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine is a mechanic at a Lexus dealership. He told me that they use a vacuum pump to pump the oil out of the engine (through the dipstick). I've followed his suggestion for a few years now on my Lexus and my Toyota and it works great. Best of all, there's no need to get under the vehicle, no drips on the floor, and it gets every last drop of old oil out. Pumping it out also makes it very easy to dispose of.
Old 01-13-13, 07:43 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
A friend of mine is a mechanic at a Lexus dealership. He told me that they use a vacuum pump to pump the oil out of the engine (through the dipstick). I've followed his suggestion for a few years now on my Lexus and my Toyota and it works great. Best of all, there's no need to get under the vehicle, no drips on the floor, and it gets every last drop of old oil out. Pumping it out also makes it very easy to dispose of.
No need to get under the vehicle? How do you replace the oil filter?
Old 01-13-13, 09:02 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used a vacuum pump on my BMW's for years, but then again, BMW puts the oil filter cartridge canister on the top front of the engine. No need to go underneath.

You'll still have to change the oil filter on the GX. The advantage of using a vacuum pump are:
1. It's cleaner and quicker
2. No wear and tear on the oil pan where the drain plug makes contact.
Old 01-14-13, 10:14 AM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get to the oil filter from up top on the GX.
Old 01-15-13, 04:29 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
You can get to the oil filter from up top on the GX.
Interesting! Can you post a picture?
Old 09-23-13, 12:02 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 1st Oil Change

Well I did my first oil change on the GX. What a PITA having to drop the front skid plate. I checked into installing a filter re-location or by-pass system to make it easier. Unfortunately, no one makes an adapter for the cartridge type filter. That god for the new oil filter wrench I purchased recently, it made removing the filter a snap!

Best oil filter wrench I ever used;http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-Scion-Special-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Tool-V6-V8-/221175691417?pt=Automotive_Services&hash=item337f193899&vxp=mtr#ht_2024wt_1141I highly recommend using never-seize on all the bolts for the skid plate and the little door for the drain.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 09-23-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 03:26 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

use fluid film over all bolts and surfaces, amazing stuff
Old 09-24-13, 05:51 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
use fluid film over all bolts and surfaces, amazing stuff
This stuff looks very interesting but I have been saved by never-seize (many times over many years) and would not even consider not using it on bolt threads. No matter how much time has passed (under any conditions, especially extreme heat) that bolt will break loose easily. I think this fluid film is more of a film protectant. I will get some and try it for many other applications that never-seize would not be practical!

Koz

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion