GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 08:32 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

When you visit the dealer in couple weeks, please ask for oil change msg reset procedure and share with all. It will be useful information for all who like to change the oil themselves.
Old 11-09-10, 09:58 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It goes by mileage and you can usually reset it by holding the trip meter reset while pressing the start button (without pressing the brake). The oil change reset procedure should be in the owner's manual.

Koz
Old 12-09-11, 07:29 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how many quarts do you need with a filter replacement?
Old 12-09-11, 01:35 PM
Koz

Just a little over 8 quarts (8.2 qts).

Koz
Old 12-10-11, 10:07 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Thanks Koz, I just did my first oil change and everything when well. I used Mobil 0W20 with the filter made by Toyota. I wanted to use AMSOIL but the auto parts store where I got my wife's 5W30 oil didn't have it. It's kind of difficult to find in stores here on Long Island, NY. I don't know if they make after market filters for this truck. Similar filter to the ES350, except the ES350 has an opening where you can place the plastic nipple to drain the oil from the filter. The GX doesn't have an opening.
Old 12-12-11, 08:06 AM
Koz

You can become a preferred customer on the Amsoil website and order from there with a discount and have it delivered to your home. I usually get motor oil for both cars/2 motorcycles and also gear oil + grease (for two years) all on one order and I'm set for a while.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/pref.aspx

Koz
Old 12-12-11, 10:01 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Cool!...thanks very much, I'll do that right now.
Old 03-12-12, 09:56 AM
gxgrappler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently did my first DIY oil change, so I thought I might post some photos.

I didn't drain the oil through the drain plug, so I can't comment on that location and procedure. I use one of the oil extractors that you pump and it sucks the oil out through the dipstick. Its a mightvac plus that holds just over 2 gallons, so its required for this much oil.....as opposed to the smaller extractor.

The filter is indeed in the middle of the GX, and toward the bottom. The part of the filter housing that you unscrew to get the element is facing the passenger side. Its black plastic, as you can see in the photos.

You have to remove the plastic cover (second picture) just under the front bumper (five bolts and a plastic fastener) and then you have to remove the skid plate. I think that was four heavier bolts (12 mm). Those are tricker to reach when you are re-installing because they are "recessed" in a little box-type housing. The skip plate has two "c" shape hooks at the front that keeps it from falling on you. It hinges on the hooks and swings down from the back. You can see the hooks in the first picture, which is the skid plate.

The filter elements come with two "O" rings, but one is not used in the GX since it is for a housing with a built-in filter drain plug on the plastic part of the filter housing. The GX doesn't have that.

I don't know if you could get to the filter from the side. Its a long reach in there and you'd have to have flexible extensions for your filter wrench ratchet. Now that I've done, its not that big a deal. I would estimate I could have the plastic and skid plate removed within about 10 minutes or less. You don't have to get very far under the vehicle, and I worked without any lift on the gx. Of course, I didn't have to get to the drain plug.
Attached Thumbnails Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-img_0225.jpg   Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-img_0238.jpg   Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-img_0229.jpg   Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-img_0235.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
user82 (07-11-23)
Old 03-12-12, 10:18 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

When I had mine changed, the mechanic didn't have to remove that whole piece from the vehicle. For the second change, I took mine to the Toyota dealership and had a mechanic I know change my oil and filter. My Lexus dealer is 110 miles each directon from my home. Glad you got it done...
Old 03-12-12, 10:20 AM
Koz

Why did you remove the skid plates?
Old 03-12-12, 11:12 AM
gxgrappler
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure I'm following the question. I did replace them. Just took them off so people could see the hooks that hold the skid plate.

Is there a way to get to the filter without removing it (the skid plate)? I'm always up for learning something, but I sure didn't see how to get to it any other way. Granted I was in a badly lit garage and looking up from underneath the front.
Old 03-12-12, 11:38 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by gxgrappler
I'm not sure I'm following the question. I did replace them. Just took them off so people could see the hooks that hold the skid plate.

Is there a way to get to the filter without removing it (the skid plate)? I'm always up for learning something, but I sure didn't see how to get to it any other way. Granted I was in a badly lit garage and looking up from underneath the front.
There has to be a way to change the filter without without removing the plate (a door/panel/hole or from top). Next year I will change mine myself and will find it.

Koz
Old 03-12-12, 12:02 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gxgrappler
Recently did my first DIY oil change, so I thought I might post some photos.
A picture is worth a thousand words! If anyone needs convincing NOT to change their own oil and filter, but to leave that to the service department at the dealership, one look at your photos will be enough. Thanks for sharing them.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I won't ask about your 'punishment' for dragging those parts inside and displaying them on what appears to be an oriental rug ... the consequences are too terrible to contemplate ;-)
Old 03-12-12, 01:06 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
A picture is worth a thousand words! If anyone needs convincing NOT to change their own oil and filter, but to leave that to the service department at the dealership, one look at your photos will be enough. Thanks for sharing them.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I won't ask about your 'punishment' for dragging those parts inside and displaying them on what appears to be an oriental rug ... the consequences are too terrible to contemplate ;-)
LOL! You didn't have to remove the skid plates to change the oil and get to the filter. I let
the mechanics at the dealer change my oil. I was thinking the same thing about dragging that
into the house. SaniDel, you took the words out of my mouth, but I didn't want to say anything...

Regards...
Old 03-12-12, 04:48 PM
gxgrappler
Driver School Candidate

I was very careful not to scratch the skid plate Plus the CEO was away for a while.

I agree with KOZ that there must be some better way, but the only possible one is the rectangular hole with the steel mesh tack-welded in it. It sure didn't look like it was made to be removed. When it gets light tomorrow I'll go out and look through that mesh and see if the filter is accessible behind it.

I don't love taking any of my cars to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion