Old 02-10-15, 08:42 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

8.2 quarts 0W20 full synthetic oil.
Old 02-10-15, 09:10 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is with Filter replacement correct?
Old 02-10-15, 09:39 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2012 GX Oil replacement

Yes, with filter! If you have your manual it is listed in the "Specifications" section.
Old 11-02-15, 05:57 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read over all the replies in this thread, and only Eppieguy (above) states the correct, and easiest way to change the oil & filter. It's no wonder so many find the job frustrating... You're all doing it incorrectly, and using the wrong tool[s] (ChannelLocks). The oil filter removal tool for the GX and most ALL other newer V6 & V8 Toyota models is easily obtainable from either Amazon.com or Ebay for $10 (less than the cost of a large pair of ChannelLocks). With that tool on the end of your 1/2" ratchet, the cap of the oil filter comes right off, and, there's plenty of room to turn the wrench. Now, to elaborate on the location of the oil filter.... It's right under the very front skid plate - the first skid plate behind the front bumper. Remove the four 12mm bolts that hold it up and it actually HINGES down (without falling off) to expose the oil filter which is right behind the front stabilizer bar.

Using the right tools (a ratchet, a 12mm socket, and the oil-filter installation/removal tool), the job can easily be done in 15 or 20 minutes. If you want to make the job even easier, get yourself an oil extractor (vacuum) - which is exactly what the dealer uses!

If I was changing the oil the way everyone was doing it earlier in this thread, I'd also be frustrated, and willing to 'just let the dealers do it.'

And, how much do the dealers charge you for an engine air filter? About 3 times what it would cost if you replace the filter yourself - in less than one minute - without turning a single screw.

Last, save yourself the ridiculous cost of changing the Cabin air filter. That filter is in your glove box! Just take your junk out of the glove box, and the cabin air filter is in clear view in the rear of the glove box, and you can purchase new cabin air filters on line for a fraction of what the dealers want for them.

And, why doesn't Lexus (or any premium car maker) tell you how to do these SIMPLE tasks in their bazillion page owners manuals? It's not because these things are too difficult. Rather, it's because they are TOO EASY, and if you knew how easy they are, then the dealers/stealers couldn't justify what they charge for labor on these tasks.

Last edited by kroorda; 11-02-15 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 06:44 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Anybody knows where is the location of the drain plug for the oil? Just making sure I unscrew the right drain bolt when changing the oil. Thanks
Old 11-23-15, 07:10 AM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Clickart: The easiest, least messy, and best way to drain your oil is to use an extractor (oil vacuum). The dealers also extract (vacuum) out the oil when they do it. An oil extractor is inexpensive and can be obtained from Amazon.com, and you can use it on all your vehicles - and just about any engine.
Old 11-23-15, 10:36 AM
clickart
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kroorda
Clickart: The easiest, least messy, and best way to drain your oil is to use an extractor (oil vacuum). The dealers also extract (vacuum) out the oil when they do it. An oil extractor is inexpensive and can be obtained from Amazon.com, and you can use it on all your vehicles - and just about any engine.
Any recommendations for an oil extractor? Willing to spend some extra money for a decent since I change my whole family vehicles. Mostly Lexus if that help
Old 11-27-15, 08:09 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

The Pela 650 extractor is a very good one. You can find it on Amazon.com Check out the other oil extractors on Amazon while you are there> You'll really like having and using an extractor to remove your own oil in. I even use my extractor to pull the old oil out of my lawnmower and snowblower engines.
Old 01-29-16, 08:43 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default DIY how to change the oil?

Hi guys, have anyone of you change the engine oil on your GX 460 yourself? I would like to change the oil myself, but i heard someone mentioned that we have to remove the skid plate to get excess to the oil filter? Any help would be awesome thanks
Old 01-29-16, 09:03 PM
bigphil001
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/659536-diy-gx-460-oil-change.html
Old 01-30-16, 07:16 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

The location of the filter at the front, bottom of the engine adds some extra work and time, but it's still pretty easy. The drain plug has an access panel in the skid plates that makes it easy to remove and drain the oil. To get to the oil filter housing, you have to remove that front steel skid plate (4 bolts and a plastic clip as I recall). It's a replaceable element rather than a screw on filter, but the Toyota element comes with everything you need (element + o ring).

Edit: If you've never changed one of these TOyota housing filters before, it helps immensely to have the special wrench to remove the top of the housing. It plugs into a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet wrench and you can get one for about $10 from Amazon or your local parts store.

Last edited by Jacket; 01-30-16 at 07:20 AM. Reason: oil filter wrench
Old 01-31-16, 11:53 PM
rhyle07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the skid plate will give you plenty of room under, and removing it is really easy. It has 4 bolts and using an electric drill will make your job easier.
Old 02-01-16, 10:03 AM
NLu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my GX, I thought about changing the oil myself (I'm a DIYer for all my other cars).
But my local Toyota dealers were able to change the oil with synthetic 0W20 for $60, so it didn't really make sense for me to do it myself, especially since 0W20 is not a common oil you can find everywhere on the shelf.

Of course, my local Lexus dealer wanted to charge me >$100 for the same oil change.
Old 02-01-16, 10:25 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks guys for all your help, i just looked underneath the truck yesterday, it look kinda busy of the skid plate, but like NLu said, if the toyota charge for $60 to change oil on our truck, why bother to do it yourself, because with the filter element and oils cost almost $50 right?, i will give toyota a call
Old 02-01-16, 06:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by NLu
When I had my GX, I thought about changing the oil myself (I'm a DIYer for all my other cars).
But my local Toyota dealers were able to change the oil with synthetic 0W20 for $60, so it didn't really make sense for me to do it myself, especially since 0W20 is not a common oil you can find everywhere on the shelf.

Of course, my local Lexus dealer wanted to charge me >$100 for the same oil change.
Originally Posted by ohiois350
Thanks guys for all your help, i just looked underneath the truck yesterday, it look kinda busy of the skid plate, but like NLu said, if the toyota charge for $60 to change oil on our truck, why bother to do it yourself, because with the filter element and oils cost almost $50 right?, i will give toyota a call

Hmm.. I have paid Jiffy Lube and Goodyear $120 or so for a 0W20 Synthetic oil change.

The above prices don't sound like "Synthetic" with a filter change (Maybe NLu has a connection)?

Last edited by tecman; 02-01-16 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TXGSF (10-05-20)

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion