GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 07:47 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

@Trijicon I will be loading a RTT, unfortunately the rails will not work for me in the back. I would only have use for them up front as added security for tying things down.

I installed my CVT awning last night. using the CVT L brackets I put them in the front and rear channels. This should work, and save me $40+shipping on the front runner awning mounts. I purchased the 79" awning, I have about 3/4" on either side of the awning mount where its bolted. I will eventually paint them black to match the rack, since they ship in silver. To make it fit I had to go one hole back making the awning sit about 1" or so away from the rack, it sits pretty high this way. I have maybe 2" of clearance in to my garage. I may try and flip the brackets upside down but I worry that will make the awning too low. I tested it out last night and there is plenty of room to stand underneath it at the height I have it now. I used their washer on the top side (they didn't fit in the channel) which I think is making a small gap causing some howling, when I remove them to paint them ill remove the washer. There is no need for it since they have a flat head washer already. Once it sits flush to the rack hopefully it removes the howling.

Ill get some pictures up once I take some tonight. I need to finish up building my RTT loading platform too
Old 05-15-18, 08:03 AM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where to you normally have the wind deflector?
I see the light bar underneath in one of the pics.
Old 05-16-18, 08:35 AM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
@Trijicon I will be loading a RTT, unfortunately the rails will not work for me in the back. I would only have use for them up front as added security for tying things down.

I installed my CVT awning last night. using the CVT L brackets I put them in the front and rear channels. This should work, and save me $40+shipping on the front runner awning mounts. I purchased the 79" awning, I have about 3/4" on either side of the awning mount where its bolted. I will eventually paint them black to match the rack, since they ship in silver. To make it fit I had to go one hole back making the awning sit about 1" or so away from the rack, it sits pretty high this way. I have maybe 2" of clearance in to my garage. I may try and flip the brackets upside down but I worry that will make the awning too low. I tested it out last night and there is plenty of room to stand underneath it at the height I have it now. I used their washer on the top side (they didn't fit in the channel) which I think is making a small gap causing some howling, when I remove them to paint them ill remove the washer. There is no need for it since they have a flat head washer already. Once it sits flush to the rack hopefully it removes the howling.

Ill get some pictures up once I take some tonight. I need to finish up building my RTT loading platform too
Yup I think if you flip the brackets downwards the awning should buy you more clearance. That is how I had mine set up with the FJ. I ended up buying the Front Runner brackets for my awning. When I load up my RTT, I remove the side rails (one screw each side) and leave the back rails up. It still works. I have the larger 4-5 person tent too
Old 05-16-18, 08:39 AM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by heckeljohn
Where to you normally have the wind deflector?
I see the light bar underneath in one of the pics.
I used to have the deflector down below, but moved it after I installed the LED bar. The LED bars works just like deflector... after I closed the small gap between the bar and rack. It was whistling like crazy with the small gap.
Old 06-07-18, 05:30 PM
chburrus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Installed a roof rack from Tim @ Gamiviti. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Very low profile, extremely stable. Install very straightforward. He just started making them for the GX460. Next up - suspension!

The following 2 users liked this post by chburrus:
Acrad (06-07-18), GX460Dude (06-08-18)
Old 06-07-18, 07:01 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,669 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Looks good. How many inches does that rack sit above the roofline?

Originally Posted by chburrus
Installed a roof rack from Tim @ Gamiviti. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Very low profile, extremely stable. Install very straightforward. He just started making them for the GX460. Next up - suspension!

Old 06-07-18, 07:03 PM
chburrus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on which part of the rack. The front and rear are about 5 in from roof to top of bar. The middle is closer to 4 in due to curvature of the roof
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-07-18)
Old 06-27-18, 03:39 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with the aftermarket cross bars? I was thinking about getting the OEM ones but people say they are too low. I’m not sure if he OEM has anything going for it at double the price.

Like this one on eBay
Aftermarket cross bars
Old 07-10-18, 09:42 AM
jwalker357
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwalker357
Thanks again Stubble, I'll post pics once I get the rails and load up the boats.
The inno's worked out good, thank you Stubble?

Last edited by jwalker357; 07-10-18 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added pics
stubble (12-17-19)
Old 07-13-18, 07:58 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

You guys really make me feel guilty. I really need to wash and clean my GX. It is sitting in the garage since our last Vegas trip and looks like a billion bugs attacked it at the front .
Old 07-13-18, 01:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I thought I saw at one time some cleaning foam you could put on a car before a roadtrip and it made it easier to wash off bug splatter afterwards. I don't think it looked very good applied but made the post trip cleanup easier. Am I imagining that product?

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
You guys really make me feel guilty. I really need to wash and clean my GX. It is sitting in the garage since our last Vegas trip and looks like a billion bugs attacked it at the front .
Old 07-17-18, 02:01 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Prinsu design: http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/pr...gx460-roofrack
Old 07-24-18, 06:57 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by chburrus
Looks good! I was just riding KTM's with Tim last weekend up in the mountains. He sold his Land Cruiser and is driving a GX 470 full time now, so we should see more new stuff coming our way.
Old 07-24-18, 03:48 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Has anyone had any experience with the aftermarket cross bars? I was thinking about getting the OEM ones but people say they are too low. I’m not sure if he OEM has anything going for it at double the price.

Like this one on eBay
Aftermarket cross bars
I purchased these aftermarket cross bars from eBay and installed them last weekend. Sure wish I would have ordered the OEM bars

Before you order these cross bars, please read the review on Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/yc42y9ad

I didn't write the review, but it is spot on. Definitely not worth the hassle of purchasing longer screws, only to figure out the cross bars are too short to mount where I wanted them.
paui4m (07-25-18)
Old 08-15-18, 04:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars