GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 07:27 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
IIRC you can put 800 lbs of static load on the rhino rack. I've jumped around up there and it doesn't even flex. I wouldn't be too worried unless you got a group of people in the RTT
i have looked at Rhino. i just don't like the look as much. plus front runner has a ton of accessories. I re-checked the weight of my RTT and I forgot I got the lighter version. it is only 165lbs. I am down to 185lbs myself so I think the 600lbs static weight will suffice for my needs. I never store anything inside the tent only in the annex part. so the rack really only needs to support the tent and 2 adults for sleeping.
I am going to re-visit Rhino tonight and take a look before I pull the trigger on a rack
Old 02-22-18, 08:17 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
i have looked at Rhino. i just don't like the look as much. plus front runner has a ton of accessories. I re-checked the weight of my RTT and I forgot I got the lighter version. it is only 165lbs. I am down to 185lbs myself so I think the 600lbs static weight will suffice for my needs. I never store anything inside the tent only in the annex part. so the rack really only needs to support the tent and 2 adults for sleeping.
I am going to re-visit Rhino tonight and take a look before I pull the trigger on a rack
I was looking at the ARB Simpson RTT vs, the Front Runner. Tepui was heavier and much more expensive. Any thoughts?

Randy B
Old 02-22-18, 11:17 AM
Twelve1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently purchased a Front runner roofrack. Awesome quality and strong.

Old 02-22-18, 11:29 AM
BAPrado
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy B
I was looking at the ARB Simpson RTT vs, the Front Runner. Tepui was heavier and much more expensive. Any thoughts?
I love the idea of the rtt but when you look at how expensive these things can run, my take becomes, unless you're just OUT THERE, these prices are nuts. I remember looking at Tepui two plus years ago and how much cheaper they were as opposed to now. I used a borrowed ground tent for a cross country trip in June 16. Nothing perfect and sometimes a little cumbersome in crappy weather but that extra money in my pocket felt good. I like Frontrunner's RTT myself. Light, more affordable and more than anything backed by a company looking to make a real name for itself stateside. My two cents.
Old 02-22-18, 11:33 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randy B

Randy B
the ARB looks to only be about 150lbs. and that's a really good price. I think you would be ok with that setup
I hear good things about the ARB. I went with CVT and really happy with it. they put a lot of thought in to their tents and the quality is top notch.
Old 02-26-18, 02:04 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The only reason I give my vote to the Rhino over the Front Runner is overall height. I park in my garage and I only have about 1" of clearance so be careful if you park in the garage. Also I think both systems use T-slots, so you can take whatever options a Front Runner has and use them on the Rhino. But I agree with you, I have the Rhino and I am not a big fan of the looks, but I do like parking in my garage.
Old 02-26-18, 10:40 PM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I ended up getting the Frontrunner because of the accessory options for my camping, family hauling, RTT and Awning needs. But like you, it was a toss up between the Rhino and the FR. Here are pics of my rig with an LED single row bar and expedition rails.

The following 4 users liked this post by Trijicon:
Asmodeus (07-10-19), bbqsoup (02-27-18), fishnlab (03-13-18), Randy B (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 07:22 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

@Nickk6 how tall is your garage? mine is 7' so I don't believe I will have an issue. I had a 4th gen 4Runner with 3" lift, 33" tires and a Gobi stealth rack. I fit in my garage, barely. with all of that I sat at 6'8". The bad thing was I had to load the rack outside. my next house I will definitely be looking for a taller garage entrance.

@Trijicon which FR rack is that? I haven't seen the ones that have the side rails like that. it looks great! how does it feel sturdy wise? was it an easy install?
what year is your GX? the all red tails look so much nicer
Old 02-27-18, 07:30 AM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

@Trijicon which FR rack is that? I haven't seen the ones that have the side rails like that. it looks great! how does it feel sturdy wise? was it an easy install?
It their slim line II for the GX 460. I purchased the expedition side rail kit also sold by Frontrunner. It is super sturdy, there are m6 bolt going into the top of the rail. I feel confident strapping gear to the rails without any issues. The install was very easy and took me around 2 hours - taking my time. The good thing about this rack for our trucks is it bolts into existing mounting point, no addition drilling is needed unlike some trucks (like some 4runners).

My year is a 2012... I like the all red tail lights too
Old 02-27-18, 08:56 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trijicon
I purchased the expedition side rail kit also sold by Frontrunner.
will your RTT fit behind the side rails or will they need to be removed anytime loading the tent? I like the side rails. gives more security when loading totes up front.
Old 02-27-18, 10:37 AM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

will your RTT fit behind the side rails or will they need to be removed anytime loading the tent? I like the side rails. gives more security when loading totes up front.
I'd have to remove one side rail to use my RTT (the side that folds out), but its really fast - only two bolts will remove the side. I'm thinking about flipping the rails to the back side of the rack. The back side of the rack gets the most use because its easily accessible with the trunk step. Also, I kinda like the sleek flat rack look for the front section. The lines flow nicer from the hood up to the rack. Right now it looks like its wearing a crown.
Old 02-27-18, 12:38 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

@Nickk6 how tall is your garage? mine is 7' so I don't believe I will have an issue. I had a 4th gen 4Runner with 3" lift, 33" tires and a Gobi stealth rack. I fit in my garage, barely. with all of that I sat at 6'8". The bad thing was I had to load the rack outside. my next house I will definitely be looking for a taller garage entrance.

Its standard height, I'm on a hill, so I enter my garage from an inclined driveway, it pitches the rack up. That FrontRunner is awesome looking, but I'd be parking outside.
Old 03-12-18, 08:34 PM
chburrus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gamiviti just released the roof rack for the 2nd gen GX460

Tim at Gamiviti took the initiative to follow up to my email from October 2017 with pics of the first roof rack from the 2nd gen GX460. See attached. These are awesome so I thought I'd share.

The following users liked this post:
fishnlab (03-13-18)
Old 03-13-18, 11:00 AM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you wire in the LED on the roof rack?
Old 04-03-18, 04:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
leftyguns (04-03-18), Stepsride (05-18-19)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars