GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 07:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I haven't really researched these much.. from a util perspective using stock mount points would be a bonus for me. I think the Rhino racks for instance require custom drill points.
Old 02-19-18, 09:41 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I haven't really researched these much.. from a util perspective using stock mount points would be a bonus for me. I think the Rhino racks for instance require custom drill points.
Most rail bases for the GX do not require drilling, the GX actually has 3 factory mounting points per side, so all the after market rail systems bolt right on. Its the actual rack platform that needs the holes drilled to line up with the rails, but there is no actual drilling into the roof of your vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 11:36 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Are you planning to put a roof top tent on all the time? I’m curious as the purposes of such rack for normal daily driving?
Old 02-19-18, 11:51 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Are you planning to put a roof top tent on all the time? I’m curious as the purposes of such rack for normal daily driving?
Yup, a pop up fiberglass rtt! Its awful for daily driving and I am not particular of the looks compared to the sleek lines of the OEM rail system. Everyone else seems to like it though that sees my truck.
Old 02-19-18, 12:05 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Nice Nickk6. Fiber glass RTT will look awesome. If you’re interested in soft tent, check out Tepui in Santa Cruz. They usually have their demo tents for sale with substantial discount. A colleague bought one for his Tundra and it looks really nice. May be worth a road trip. Lol
Old 02-19-18, 02:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Yup, a pop up fiberglass rtt! Its awful for daily driving and I am not particular of the looks compared to the sleek lines of the OEM rail system. Everyone else seems to like it though that sees my truck.
IMO.... those racks give off a rugged, utilitarian and overland kind of vibe. Whether you are into overlanding or not...it seems to be taking off here in the US.
Old 02-19-18, 10:20 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Yes overlanding is all the talk now. The market for it just exploded and there are so many vendors specialize in that now. It’s amazing compare to a few years ago.
Old 02-20-18, 11:06 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Nice Nickk6. Fiber glass RTT will look awesome. If you’re interested in soft tent, check out Tepui in Santa Cruz. They usually have their demo tents for sale with substantial discount. A colleague bought one for his Tundra and it looks really nice. May be worth a road trip. Lol
A Tepui Autana was the original plan until watching videos of them being setup in the wind, definitely not worth the headache for my use. I'm a camp at night, travel at day type, so I don't want to spend a lot of time with the tent setup. With the popup, its literally under 5 minutes for setup and tear down. I lose a lot of space with a popup taking up my entire roof rack vs the Autana taking up about 60" still leaving some space for a spare tire or cargo. A reason for the Autana was also the space inside for taking friends/family or dogs. At the end of the day, they don't go enough to make it worth the head ache, and the 1 or 2 times a year they come, they can setup their own tent on the floor or sleep in the car with the dogs who are to heavy to be lifting up into a rtt.
Attached Thumbnails GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars-tonks.png  
Old 02-20-18, 11:25 AM
jwalker357
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stubble

i have 65” bars and I’m using two pairs of the rhino folding j cradles. (Single sided). The middle two kayaks sit on standard foam bar pads like you find at the kayak shop. They stay put just fine, wedged in there pretty good. The bar spread helps a lot to keep everything secure (longer spread is much better, the wind exerts less leverage). Note that I am pretty meticulous in tiedowns and rack mount setup. 4 boats is pushing it no doubt so you have to pay attention to your load.

One thing i would do if I regularly carried 3 boats would be to add the extension for the rhino cradle. It would make it a ton easier to keep the third boat (in the middle) from moving around on the rack. Not an issue with 4 but its a pain with 3 to keep it snugged to the back side of the cradle.

The GX is a fantastic paddling base. It’ll get you to put-ins anywhere and back.
HTH
happy paddling.
Thanks again Stubble, I'll post pics once I get the rails and load up the boats.
Old 02-20-18, 07:33 PM
HitchCrack
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rhino Rack

I have the Rhino Rack Pioneer. Its a great rack and adds lots of options for storage.

Old 02-21-18, 08:15 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

thank you @Acrad35751 for posting that. I have been trying to find a good rack solution and front runner seems like a good option for my need. I had a Gobi on my 4th Gen 4Runner and it worked great but they don't have one for my 2015 GX. I too will be putting a RTT on top so this rack looks like a good alternative to Gobi. Especially with the no drill design. My only concern is the weight limit of only 600lbs, I have a CVT Shasta which weighs around 200lbs plus 2 adults (I am nearly 200lbs) it could be cutting it close
Old 02-21-18, 11:30 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leftyguns
thank you @Acrad35751 for posting that. I have been trying to find a good rack solution and front runner seems like a good option for my need. I had a Gobi on my 4th Gen 4Runner and it worked great but they don't have one for my 2015 GX. I too will be putting a RTT on top so this rack looks like a good alternative to Gobi. Especially with the no drill design. My only concern is the weight limit of only 600lbs, I have a CVT Shasta which weighs around 200lbs plus 2 adults (I am nearly 200lbs) it could be cutting it close
IIRC you can put 800 lbs of static load on the rhino rack. I've jumped around up there and it doesn't even flex. I wouldn't be too worried unless you got a group of people in the RTT
The following users liked this post:
leftyguns (02-22-18)
Old 02-21-18, 12:25 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Rack necessary?

For a RTT like the Tepui, can't I use Inno crossbars and the stock rails instead of a full rack platform?

Randy B
Old 02-21-18, 02:15 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randy B
For a RTT like the Tepui, can't I use Inno crossbars and the stock rails instead of a full rack platform?

Randy B
You need to check the stats for the Inno bars. A lot of 4runner guys were doing this and its a much better option than the noisy full rack system

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ross-bars.html
Old 02-21-18, 08:24 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy B

Randy B
These bars look like Inno but I’m not sure if they can be mounted on stock side rail or you have to replace it with something from the Prado 150.

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars