GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 11:34 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by viviana4

My Lexus has a Roof Rail without any space underneath, which roof cross bar works and where I can get it?
Thanks!
Your best option is the stock crossbars. You can get it from eBay either OEM or aftermarket.
Old 04-20-18, 08:49 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Front Runner finally has their quick release tent mounts in. ordered the rack. tent mounts and some accessories today.
Old 05-09-18, 09:48 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

From the GXOR pages.... SSO has announced/released their roof rack with a current lead time of 5-6 weeks. There is a 10% coupon using “GXOR” during checkout.

https://www.southernstyleoffroad.com...460-roof-rack/
Old 05-10-18, 05:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I think my only reservation is what kind of wind noise these generate at high speeds. I assume noisy loaded up...just curious in commute mode unladen with any cargo.

Can anyone who previously ran a cargo basket on OEM crossbars who now has full roof rack chime in?

There is a little noise with my Yakima basket so if similar to that I would be fine with that.
Old 05-11-18, 07:32 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I think my only reservation is what kind of wind noise these generate at high speeds. I assume noisy loaded up...just curious in commute mode unladen with any cargo.

Can anyone who previously ran a cargo basket on OEM crossbars who now has full roof rack chime in?

There is a little noise with my Yakima basket so if similar to that I would be fine with that.
I have never had a basket but I have the Front Runner slimline rack now. it is not noisy at all really. if the sunroof is open (either tilted up or open) it is a little noisier than it was without the rack at highway speeds. putting around town it is not too bad. the rack install was quite simple and the extra weight (around 60lbs) is not noticeable at all. my mpgs haven't dropped through 3 tanks of gas. next weekend ill be loading up the RTT and camping gear this will be the big test of the rack and noise
The following 2 users liked this post by leftyguns:
Acrad (05-11-18), paui4m (05-11-18)
Old 05-11-18, 01:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

leftyguns: That's great to hear!!

If using stock screw holes in roof do you need to use any extra caulking or weatherproofing or is it simply take off OEM gear and screw down the new roof rack?
Old 05-12-18, 08:02 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

@Acrad35751 it suggests adding silicone i chose not to. the stock bolt holders stick up enough where i wasn't too worried. I've been through a couple rain storms and nothing so far. I will probably go back and add it before winter
the stock rails came off with ease, one bad thing is the rain gutter is cut out in the middle. the new rack footing covers the area but something to be aware of
Old 05-12-18, 10:06 AM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't use caulk either; mostly because I was in a hurry.

I only used 2 plastic shims per mount point.

I finally got around to putting on the wind deflector, and I put rubber in the top and bottom of the channel on the front of the rack. You can't really hear any noise at all under 50 mph.

One thing about the slimline: you have to decide if you want the rails before you mount it on the roof. If you change your mind, you have to take the rack off of the roof (which means owing people beer for their time). I was able to get the side rails on without taking it off of the roof, but if you want to put on the corner rail pieces, you have to take it off the roof and remove slats #1 and #10.
Old 05-12-18, 12:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Thanks All for info... need to get my front bumper, then sliders before I plan to explore the roof rack. I might go C4 on sliders as well and then finish off all skids with Budbuilt.
Old 05-12-18, 04:30 PM
Aou0812
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip everyone I picked up the inno rack set and a skybox 18
Old 05-13-18, 09:53 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heckeljohn
I didn't use caulk either; mostly because I was in a hurry.

I only used 2 plastic shims per mount point.

I finally got around to putting on the wind deflector, and I put rubber in the top and bottom of the channel on the front of the rack. You can't really hear any noise at all under 50 mph.

One thing about the slimline: you have to decide if you want the rails before you mount it on the roof. If you change your mind, you have to take the rack off of the roof (which means owing people beer for their time). I was able to get the side rails on without taking it off of the roof, but if you want to put on the corner rail pieces, you have to take it off the roof and remove slats #1 and #10.
does only using two shims make the rack too low or is it ok? i had thought about removing one but worried i wouldn't be able to get the underside too easy. i have some hooks mounted on underside to strap things down.
i was surprisingly able to load the rack on my roof by myself. i put a bunch of boxes around the antenna to protect it, laid down lots of pads on the roof to protect it. i am still unsure if i will add the rails or not. i would like to have some up front to help secure totes. did you use front runners rubber insert?

here are some pics of the rack installed on mine

Old 05-14-18, 01:20 PM
heckeljohn
Rookie

I thought about trying to do the rack myself, but.... one slip up, and it would be very costly.

The rack is at most 1/8" lower with only 2 spacers. Still plenty easy to reach under. I wanted it as low as possible because it barely fit under my garage door. Still ended up hitting the door, and now I'm on the hook for a new roll-up garage door.

Yes, the rubber insert is from front runner. If you want to run it along the width instead of the length, you have to cut it down. I might order another one, because it keeps water from collecting in the channels. I hate taking it to the car wash, only to have a bunch of water pour out as soon as I leave the parking lot.
Old 05-14-18, 01:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by heckeljohn
I wanted it as low as possible because it barely fit under my garage door. Still ended up hitting the door, and now I'm on the hook for a new roll-up garage door.
That's one of the concerns I have as well since I have drop the air suspension in the rear to exit garage with my Yakima Load Warrior on top or I will hit my garage door.
Old 05-14-18, 03:25 PM
heckeljohn
Rookie

I had about an inch of clearance, but that's when the vehicle is stationary.

I was in a hurry, gunned the engine, and the back end pitched up and hit the door. Hard. Whoops.

I'm replacing my swing-up door with a roll-up, so I'll have at least 6 inches of clearance when it's installed, which means I can leave the rails on all the time.
Old 05-14-18, 09:30 PM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
does only using two shims make the rack too low or is it ok? i had thought about removing one but worried i wouldn't be able to get the underside too easy. i have some hooks mounted on underside to strap things down.
i was surprisingly able to load the rack on my roof by myself. i put a bunch of boxes around the antenna to protect it, laid down lots of pads on the roof to protect it. i am still unsure if i will add the rails or not. i would like to have some up front to help secure totes. did you use front runners rubber insert?

here are some pics of the rack installed on mine

Looks good. I have the exp rails and like them a lot. At first I had them up front but they howled like crazy. I was about to return them, but them put them in the back and install the wind deflectors in front and it works great, no howling. I also prefer the look of them in the back. When they were up front it looked like a princess crown.

Rails up front.

Rails in the back

Last edited by Trijicon; 05-14-18 at 09:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (08-29-18)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars