tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

^^^ Nice pic..
Old 12-07-17, 05:54 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Just throwing this out there for anyone looking for a roof rack. autoanything dot com has 20% off, I just picked up the rhinorack for under $1k.
Old 12-07-17, 09:13 PM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inno

Inno with a Yakima box. The stock crossbars were too low.
Old 12-08-17, 09:20 AM
squeekyM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluto- Do you happen to have the model # or size/length of the Inno cross bars installed on your GX? I'm interested in buying a set, however I noticed there are a variety of different models and sizes. Thanks!
Old 12-08-17, 10:23 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluto
Inno with a Yakima box. The stock crossbars were too low.
I put up the Skybox 18 on the stock crossbars and it clear the antenna and the roof fine. The Load Warrior with extension also sit fine with it too. Could have gone with Yakima and the grab rails so I can use my Powerhound ski rack but the noise was a concern for me.
Old 01-07-18, 09:19 AM
ATLAW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Cross Bars - ?

Greetings,

I am in the process of buying a new 2018 GX460 Premium.

As I do a lot of biking/snow skiing, I need a roof rack.

I have searched the forum and it appears there are a number of ways to go.

I would prefer to get Yakima cross bars and build from there vs. the Lexus cross bars and add Yakima racks, etc.

I would also go with Thule and run the entire Thule system.

Does anyone have Yakima / Thule cross bars that work well on the GX?

Thank you in advance.

Tom
Old 01-07-18, 09:47 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

To use Yakima round bars, you need Yakima RailGrab towers. Not sure about Thule.

I have a Yakima Powderhound ski rack mounted on top of the oem crossbars using Yakima universal mighty mounts. I had to cut the plastic spinner shorter in order to tighten the ski rack to the bars. Check the “what you did to your gx” thread.
Old 01-09-18, 06:50 AM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I can tell you that Railgrab are not ideal b/c they are extremely close and sometimes touching the roof on the inner side. I ordered a set of Prado 150 rails on Ebay which are raised like 4runners and the GX460. That way you can more safely use the railgrabs or the Lowrider towers. I'll post pics when I get them and get them installed. You can search this forum as well for someone that did the same with OEM Prado parts. One issue w/ the OEM crossbars is that they are extremely close to the roof which allows yakima roof box hardware to contact the roof as well.
Old 01-28-18, 06:23 PM
jwalker357
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I'm new to this forum. Just bought my wife a 2014 GX 460 this month. I like the sounds of the inno rails. Has anyone here loaded three kayaks on the top of their 460? Would there be enough room? Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-29-18, 07:32 AM
stubble
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Jwalker, there is certainly room, but they need to get vertical. J cradles make this work. The Rhino cradles are the best j cradles out there IMO. I still use my inno rack.

I run this setup regularly:

The following users liked this post:
jwalker357 (01-29-18)
Old 01-29-18, 06:47 PM
jwalker357
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stubble
Hi Jwalker, there is certainly room, but they need to get vertical. J cradles make this work. The Rhino cradles are the best j cradles out there IMO. I still use my inno rack.

I run this setup regularly:

Thank you for the post Stubble! Man that's good to hear! Are you using individual J cradles or the dual cradles? What size rails do have?
Old 01-29-18, 07:10 PM
stubble
Rookie

Originally Posted by jwalker357
Thank you for the post Stubble! Man that's good to hear! Are you using individual J cradles or the dual cradles? What size rails do have?
i have 65” bars and I’m using two pairs of the rhino folding j cradles. (Single sided). The middle two kayaks sit on standard foam bar pads like you find at the kayak shop. They stay put just fine, wedged in there pretty good. The bar spread helps a lot to keep everything secure (longer spread is much better, the wind exerts less leverage). Note that I am pretty meticulous in tiedowns and rack mount setup. 4 boats is pushing it no doubt so you have to pay attention to your load.

One thing i would do if I regularly carried 3 boats would be to add the extension for the rhino cradle. It would make it a ton easier to keep the third boat (in the middle) from moving around on the rack. Not an issue with 4 but its a pain with 3 to keep it snugged to the back side of the cradle.

The GX is a fantastic paddling base. It’ll get you to put-ins anywhere and back.
HTH
happy paddling.
Old 01-29-18, 07:37 PM
stubble
Rookie

FWIW I fixed the pics on my post in page 2.
Old 02-18-18, 05:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,565 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Another roof rack option

"This 1964mm/77.3"long full-size Slimline II cargo roof rack kit contains the Slimline II Tray, Wind Deflector and 2 Foot Rails to mount the Slimline II Tray to your Lexus GX460. Easily installs using the existing factory mounting points. No drilling required."

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...imline-ii.html

The following users liked this post:
Mistaken (10-25-19)
Old 02-18-18, 07:00 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Another roof rack option

"This 1964mm/77.3"long full-size Slimline II cargo roof rack kit contains the Slimline II Tray, Wind Deflector and 2 Foot Rails to mount the Slimline II Tray to your Lexus GX460. Easily installs using the existing factory mounting points. No drilling required."

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...imline-ii.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y55qz0ppfZQ
For some reason, I always thought this roof rack looked odd on the GX. I'm not sure if it's the height, the shape or the missing front fairing. I like the look of the Gobi and the Baja flat utility more, but I don't know if that translates to being better in terms of functionality.

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars